PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a "thumper?"

Judegirl
10-16-2004, 07:03 PM
When dd wakes up and wants us to come get her, she lifts her legs into the air and then slams - and I mean SLAMS - them, at the same time, into the mattress. Repeatedly. She also thumps the surface with her arms. It sounds like she's bringing the house down.

She thumps when she's excited, too, but it's more frantic and less intense.

Is this what all babies do? Or is ours just a thumper?

Jude

Judegirl
10-16-2004, 07:03 PM
When dd wakes up and wants us to come get her, she lifts her legs into the air and then slams - and I mean SLAMS - them, at the same time, into the mattress. Repeatedly. She also thumps the surface with her arms. It sounds like she's bringing the house down.

She thumps when she's excited, too, but it's more frantic and less intense.

Is this what all babies do? Or is ours just a thumper?

Jude

C99
10-16-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't know if all babies do, but mine certainly did. In fact, he still does it to a certain extent.

C99
10-16-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't know if all babies do, but mine certainly did. In fact, he still does it to a certain extent.

billysmommy
10-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Billy definately did this when he was excited, we called it "slapping hands" and said it was "his job". I remember last October we took a trip for DH's b-day and he was very into doing it then, we had alot of people comment on how funny it was while we were there. He was the same age as your DD now. He outgrew doing it when he was excited around Christmas time but he still does the thumping when he wakes up so I think you'll have that for awhile.

billysmommy
10-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Billy definately did this when he was excited, we called it "slapping hands" and said it was "his job". I remember last October we took a trip for DH's b-day and he was very into doing it then, we had alot of people comment on how funny it was while we were there. He was the same age as your DD now. He outgrew doing it when he was excited around Christmas time but he still does the thumping when he wakes up so I think you'll have that for awhile.

newmommy0403
10-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Every night after we put DS down it would sound like someone was walking around upstairs. DH kept saying it was the cat, but one day it dawned on me that DS is throwing his legs up so hard it sounds like someone is walking around upstairs. He does it when he sees us in the morning as well, or anytime he is really excited.

newmommy0403
10-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Every night after we put DS down it would sound like someone was walking around upstairs. DH kept saying it was the cat, but one day it dawned on me that DS is throwing his legs up so hard it sounds like someone is walking around upstairs. He does it when he sees us in the morning as well, or anytime he is really excited.

redhookmom
10-16-2004, 07:37 PM
YES, I knew exactly what "thumper" meant in your subject line. My dd thumps her legs after I put her down.

redhookmom
10-16-2004, 07:37 PM
YES, I knew exactly what "thumper" meant in your subject line. My dd thumps her legs after I put her down.

Tori_s mom
10-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Tori did this a lot before she could roll on her tummy to sleep. Wham, wham, wham. Now that she rolls over, she does it less. However, you can still hear wham if she wakes up. :)

Tasha

Tori_s mom
10-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Tori did this a lot before she could roll on her tummy to sleep. Wham, wham, wham. Now that she rolls over, she does it less. However, you can still hear wham if she wakes up. :)

Tasha

Raidra
10-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Colwyn used to do that ALL the time. It was such a riot to watch. The only time he does it now is once in a while if I'm changing his diaper.

The crib thumping stopped when he could pull himself up.

Raidra
10-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Colwyn used to do that ALL the time. It was such a riot to watch. The only time he does it now is once in a while if I'm changing his diaper.

The crib thumping stopped when he could pull himself up.

StaceyKim
10-16-2004, 08:13 PM
yup, ds was a "thumper". he usually did it to help fall asleep. he doesn't do it anymore but it started at about 6 weeks and lasted several months.

StaceyKim
10-16-2004, 08:13 PM
yup, ds was a "thumper". he usually did it to help fall asleep. he doesn't do it anymore but it started at about 6 weeks and lasted several months.

lizajane
10-16-2004, 11:13 PM
we went up to check on schuyler a few weeks ago because there was SUCH an incredibly loud noise from his room, we though the "bad man" had come to "get him" and had thrown him against the wall. it was truly scary!!

what he does is kick his bed. we call them donkey kicks. he is too tall for the crib... (new bed on the way soon, just found out his great grandmother has a twin bed up for grabs.)

mudder17
10-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Yup, she does this a lot!!! In fact, I think she even does it to soothe herself. Here's a funny picture of her doing it while another baby is crawling over her--it's sort of like a bronco ride. :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15060.jpg

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

Judegirl
10-16-2004, 11:50 PM
That's hysterical! What a great pic...I hope they're in touch when they're older so they can laugh at this one.

Dd hasn't done it on her belly, though - only on her back.

tippy
10-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Yup, still does it in fact! Mostly when he's in our bed for a "visit" but also during diaper changes. It can get dangerous! He kicked me in my face when I was leaning in to change him this morning. YIKES!

s7714
10-17-2004, 03:44 AM
DD liked to do it in the middle of the night when she'd wake up and was trying to fall back asleep. There's nothing like a loud thumping/banging noise coming across the baby monitor to wake you from a sound sleep! Fortunately she doesn't do it anymore!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

mudder17
10-17-2004, 04:36 PM
That's interesting. I don't think DD does it on her back much at all. But she's preferred being on her tummy since she could roll over. :)
It is one way to get her to burp, LOL!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

TahliasMom
10-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Our DD also started doing the thumping thing couple of weeks when she's on her back and mostly in her crib when she doesn't want to go down for a nap or when she's waking up! Funny little creatures, aren't they?
Katherine

KrisM
10-18-2004, 09:05 AM
My DS does it when I put him down, too. After the night feedings, it's funny - thump, thump, thump, and his head goes from left to right to left again. Then he's asleep. I call it his going to sleep dance.

hez
10-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Payton used to thump his legs. I want to say that disappeared about the time he started being able to pull himself up to sitting in the crib. Crazy how it all starts to run together. I don't like that!

On another note-- when I saw the subject, I wondered if you meant she was a head thumper. My brother put himself to sleep by thumping his head into his pillow. He might still do it (I have no idea!). My dad said they actually did some research to make sure he was OK because it used to freak my folks out :)