PDA

View Full Version : Hey girlies... please send good vibes our way.

papal
10-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I know that this is not some earth-shattering issue but please, if you get a minute, please send good thoughts and vibes our way tommorow. As some of you know, it is Leela's birthday tmmrw and honestly at this point in time, i am not doing very well handling everything.
First just the emotional stuff is really hard.. i can't believe a year has gone by.. i just can't. I was looking at pics of her as a newborn and she was the tiniest thing.. the nurse bundled her up and she fit in my arms perfectly. I just want to reach into that dimension and have that moment again. She has 2 (almost 4) teeth now, is running and has so many 'words'. I love every inch of her being, every little tiny inch. I don't care if she poops all day or throws up on me or does not sleep all night. This is the ONLY person in the world that I would do ANYTHING for.... i think there are limits to what I would do for my husband and for my parents.. but not Leela.
How did this happen??!! Where did they year go? It was the best year of my life and also the most challenging... if there is one true test of a marriage.. it is a newborn baby!

But coming back to now.. i am feeling really guilty this evening.
This is HER birthday and she should be happy! But with my relatives in town, she was hyper stimulated all day.. she missed her afternoon nap and had a huge meltdown in the evening. She does not deserve this on ANY day, leave alone her birthday weekend!

So girlies, please send good thoughts or prayers our way that she rests well tonight and tmmrw i can control my family a little better so Leela can rest up and have a fantastic time.

Anyway, this has become long.. my heart was just so heavy with so many thoughts... i don't think my family really understands.. they love me and travelled from far away to be here this weekend. I think maybe you moms (and dads) will know what i feel.

Ok, off to straighten out the house and sort out last minute details. Thanks for listening if you have gotten so far.. i just needed to get this of my chest.

papal
10-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I know that this is not some earth-shattering issue but please, if you get a minute, please send good thoughts and vibes our way tommorow. As some of you know, it is Leela's birthday tmmrw and honestly at this point in time, i am not doing very well handling everything.
First just the emotional stuff is really hard.. i can't believe a year has gone by.. i just can't. I was looking at pics of her as a newborn and she was the tiniest thing.. the nurse bundled her up and she fit in my arms perfectly. I just want to reach into that dimension and have that moment again. She has 2 (almost 4) teeth now, is running and has so many 'words'. I love every inch of her being, every little tiny inch. I don't care if she poops all day or throws up on me or does not sleep all night. This is the ONLY person in the world that I would do ANYTHING for.... i think there are limits to what I would do for my husband and for my parents.. but not Leela.
How did this happen??!! Where did they year go? It was the best year of my life and also the most challenging... if there is one true test of a marriage.. it is a newborn baby!

But coming back to now.. i am feeling really guilty this evening.
This is HER birthday and she should be happy! But with my relatives in town, she was hyper stimulated all day.. she missed her afternoon nap and had a huge meltdown in the evening. She does not deserve this on ANY day, leave alone her birthday weekend!

So girlies, please send good thoughts or prayers our way that she rests well tonight and tmmrw i can control my family a little better so Leela can rest up and have a fantastic time.

Anyway, this has become long.. my heart was just so heavy with so many thoughts... i don't think my family really understands.. they love me and travelled from far away to be here this weekend. I think maybe you moms (and dads) will know what i feel.

Ok, off to straighten out the house and sort out last minute details. Thanks for listening if you have gotten so far.. i just needed to get this of my chest.

TaChapm
10-16-2004, 07:27 PM
~~~~Sending good sleep vibes Leela's way!~~~~
Time really does fly by! I hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

TaChapm
10-16-2004, 07:27 PM
~~~~Sending good sleep vibes Leela's way!~~~~
Time really does fly by! I hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

redhookmom
10-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I hope everybody at your house gets a good nights sleep and enjoys tomorrow.

redhookmom
10-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I hope everybody at your house gets a good nights sleep and enjoys tomorrow.

heidi_timms
10-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow. I must say that I have enjoyed every age/stage that Kailey has gone through. Each age (newborn, 4 months, 6 months, etc) has been cuter than the next.

I just want to say that Kailey had a total tired meltdown on her Birthday as well and so did my niece on her first birthday. I almost think it's unavoidable since parties usually last through naptime!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

heidi_timms
Hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow. I must say that I have enjoyed every age/stage that Kailey has gone through. Each age (newborn, 4 months, 6 months, etc) has been cuter than the next.

I just want to say that Kailey had a total tired meltdown on her Birthday as well and so did my niece on her first birthday. I almost think it's unavoidable since parties usually last through naptime!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

jbowman
Rashmi--I am sending very happy thoughts in your direction! I can't wait to hear all about it! I think that you very eloquently described how we all feel about our babies.

IMHO I think that babies let us know (like a barometer) what is really important in our lives. Sometimes Ellie will want to play with my (expensive prescription) sunglasses and I'll let her play with them for a minute (I won't even let DH near them!). I figure, what's $300 if they break, if it makes her happy, LOL? Terrible, terrible approach to parenting--but I'd give her the sun, moon, and stars if I could!

Have a great day tomorrow! Hugs! Go Leela!

jbowman
Rashmi--I am sending very happy thoughts in your direction! I can't wait to hear all about it! I think that you very eloquently described how we all feel about our babies.

IMHO I think that babies let us know (like a barometer) what is really important in our lives. Sometimes Ellie will want to play with my (expensive prescription) sunglasses and I'll let her play with them for a minute (I won't even let DH near them!). I figure, what's $300 if they break, if it makes her happy, LOL? Terrible, terrible approach to parenting--but I'd give her the sun, moon, and stars if I could!

Have a great day tomorrow! Hugs! Go Leela!

lmintzer
10-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Oh, Rashmi! Hugs to you. And lots of empathy! I totally understand where you are coming from. I am having some of the same feelings looking at Joshua and thinking about his fist year. As you know, it has had many ups and downs, and we've been through (and are still going through) many challenges as a family. I, too, am filled with mixed emotions: joy, sadness/loss, regret. . . I won't go into it more on your post. But I just wanted to say that much as a way of telling you that I truly understand.

And I also definitely know what it's like to have kids who are sensitive to changes in their routines and have sleep-needs that are not to be challenged. Friends, relatives, etc. don't really understand. Often, people are critical when, with a child like this, one sets limits and puts the baby's needs first. And then, even when you can let their (implicit) criticism slide, that "why can't my baby just be more flexible so I don't miss out" feeling often is there.

I am thinking of you guys tonight and will be tomorrow. Rashmi, I know I don't know you IRL, but I can tell from all of your posts and deeds that you are an incredibly sweet, warm, loving person. Leela is a lucky little girl to have such an inredible mommy. : ) And SHE doesn't know how hard the adjustment to motherhood is. That's the great thing--how protected the little ones are from most of our internal strife.

I'm wishing you all a wonderful, restful night's sleep. May it bring you peace of mind and help you through the many emotions that 1st birthdays bring up.

lmintzer
10-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Oh, Rashmi! Hugs to you. And lots of empathy! I totally understand where you are coming from. I am having some of the same feelings looking at Joshua and thinking about his fist year. As you know, it has had many ups and downs, and we've been through (and are still going through) many challenges as a family. I, too, am filled with mixed emotions: joy, sadness/loss, regret. . . I won't go into it more on your post. But I just wanted to say that much as a way of telling you that I truly understand.

And I also definitely know what it's like to have kids who are sensitive to changes in their routines and have sleep-needs that are not to be challenged. Friends, relatives, etc. don't really understand. Often, people are critical when, with a child like this, one sets limits and puts the baby's needs first. And then, even when you can let their (implicit) criticism slide, that "why can't my baby just be more flexible so I don't miss out" feeling often is there.

I am thinking of you guys tonight and will be tomorrow. Rashmi, I know I don't know you IRL, but I can tell from all of your posts and deeds that you are an incredibly sweet, warm, loving person. Leela is a lucky little girl to have such an inredible mommy. : ) And SHE doesn't know how hard the adjustment to motherhood is. That's the great thing--how protected the little ones are from most of our internal strife.

I'm wishing you all a wonderful, restful night's sleep. May it bring you peace of mind and help you through the many emotions that 1st birthdays bring up.

bluej
10-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Sending lots of good sleeping vibes Leela's way! I'm sure once she gets a good nights sleep she'll be ready to go again. Once YOU get well rested as well you will be feeling less overwhelmed (I imagine you have run yourself ragged not only getting ready for Leela's birthday but for your family as well). Your emotions are normal and it was touching to read about them. I know it's so hard to put into words the overwhelming love you feel for your child but I think you it covered it quite well. Enjoy Leela's special day tomorrow and enjoy this time with your family!

bluej
10-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Sending lots of good sleeping vibes Leela's way! I'm sure once she gets a good nights sleep she'll be ready to go again. Once YOU get well rested as well you will be feeling less overwhelmed (I imagine you have run yourself ragged not only getting ready for Leela's birthday but for your family as well). Your emotions are normal and it was touching to read about them. I know it's so hard to put into words the overwhelming love you feel for your child but I think you it covered it quite well. Enjoy Leela's special day tomorrow and enjoy this time with your family!

murpheyblue2
10-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Well said Rashmi.

Sending you good thoughts and sweet dreams!

murpheyblue2
10-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Well said Rashmi.

Sending you good thoughts and sweet dreams!

alkagift
10-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I am so sure that the birthday will be wonderful. Leela is at the center of it, so how could it not be, with so many people who love her in the world right there!

I completely understand what you mean about family getting in the way of rest. I had the same trouble for at least the first 9 months of DS's life. Finally, I showed some pics of my DS to my parents of their previous visit where DS looked just awful from not sleeping. He was so exhausted, he could barely keep his head up. With the physical evidence staring them in the face, my parents backed up around nap time and let him wind down. I'm sure your family would as well if you could explain.

Have a great time tomorrow, you are a fabulous mommy and you have been wise to enjoy your first year. It will be wonderful to come, absolutely. I'm right there with you!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/03

alkagift
10-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I am so sure that the birthday will be wonderful. Leela is at the center of it, so how could it not be, with so many people who love her in the world right there!

I completely understand what you mean about family getting in the way of rest. I had the same trouble for at least the first 9 months of DS's life. Finally, I showed some pics of my DS to my parents of their previous visit where DS looked just awful from not sleeping. He was so exhausted, he could barely keep his head up. With the physical evidence staring them in the face, my parents backed up around nap time and let him wind down. I'm sure your family would as well if you could explain.

Have a great time tomorrow, you are a fabulous mommy and you have been wise to enjoy your first year. It will be wonderful to come, absolutely. I'm right there with you!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/03

rrosen
10-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Rashmi,
You KNOW I understand what you are going through tonight. Just go back in your mailbox to find the tear filled email I wrote you the evening of Elle's birthday party.

My advice to you is to take a deep breath, relax, and let yourself take it all in. Let yourself have fun (learn from my miserable example) Leela can be flexible. If you are relaxed and enjoying yourself chances are she will take your cue and enjoy herself as well.

I am sending you the biggest hug ever. Give the sweet sweet girl a kiss from me.

Lots of Love Girlie!

rrosen
10-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Rashmi,
You KNOW I understand what you are going through tonight. Just go back in your mailbox to find the tear filled email I wrote you the evening of Elle's birthday party.

My advice to you is to take a deep breath, relax, and let yourself take it all in. Let yourself have fun (learn from my miserable example) Leela can be flexible. If you are relaxed and enjoying yourself chances are she will take your cue and enjoy herself as well.

I am sending you the biggest hug ever. Give the sweet sweet girl a kiss from me.

Lots of Love Girlie!

Momof3Labs
10-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Oh, Rashmi, I hope that tomorrow goes well for you!

But I want to let you in on a little secret that dawned on me right after Colin's first birthday party. First birthday parties aren't for the kids. Nope, not at all. They are a celebration of the parents surviving the first (often quite difficult) year of parenthood. No one tells you that, but that's really what it is about. So know that your family is there to celebrate with you, and while you can hope for and work towards Leela's happiness on her birthday, there are just too many factors at play. But even if she isn't happy as a clam tomorrow, that doesn't make it any less of a celebration!

Momof3Labs
10-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Oh, Rashmi, I hope that tomorrow goes well for you!

But I want to let you in on a little secret that dawned on me right after Colin's first birthday party. First birthday parties aren't for the kids. Nope, not at all. They are a celebration of the parents surviving the first (often quite difficult) year of parenthood. No one tells you that, but that's really what it is about. So know that your family is there to celebrate with you, and while you can hope for and work towards Leela's happiness on her birthday, there are just too many factors at play. But even if she isn't happy as a clam tomorrow, that doesn't make it any less of a celebration!

brigmaman
10-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I totally agree. It sounds as though Leela is happy most of the time! What more can we ask for! ;)
It is a VERY emotional time, but I have to tell you, I feel as though things got a lot more fun and a whole lot easier after Brig turned one.
Hope you enjoy the day tomorrow and just think of what's to come!

brigmaman
10-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I totally agree. It sounds as though Leela is happy most of the time! What more can we ask for! ;)
It is a VERY emotional time, but I have to tell you, I feel as though things got a lot more fun and a whole lot easier after Brig turned one.
Hope you enjoy the day tomorrow and just think of what's to come!

deenass
10-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I pretty much lost it the weekend my son turned one, remembering what it was like to bring him into the world and realizing how long he had been here.

Try ot enjoy tomorrow, family and all!!!!!!!

deenass
10-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I pretty much lost it the weekend my son turned one, remembering what it was like to bring him into the world and realizing how long he had been here.

Try ot enjoy tomorrow, family and all!!!!!!!

Bearhut
10-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Oh, I completely understand. My DD turned one TODAY and yesterday I was a mess. Where did my little baby go? She will be our only child so this will be our only first birthday. Let's just say it's been quite a roller coaster. My DH is in watching the Red Sox/Yankees and all I can do is think about last year...DD was born in the middle of the seventh inning of the seventh game.

As for the party; do what's best for her. If she needs a nap, put her down for a nap. We were lucky that DD went down earlier than usual and woke up 15 min. before company was due to arrive. She spent the entire party crawling around on the lawn. Then the cupcake that she finished kept her going until bedtime. Tomorrow, who knows what she'll be like.

Give her lots of hugs and keep a few for yourself. They have to grow up...we want them to grow up...it's just really hard on mama.

Heather

mudder17
10-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Rashmi!! HUGS, girlie! I know you must be so tired and overwhelmed and stressed, and you just want everything to be perfect for Leela (at least in the sense that she's happy!). You summed up the emotional rollercoaster of being a mother perfectly. What Lori says makes a lot of sense, although it doesn't make it any easier to see your baby having a meltdown. When that happens to DD, I immediately feel guilty because I feel like I didn't try hard enough to make sure she didn't get overtired. It's a horrible feeling, but I've learned that I need just let it go and try again next time. It's not easy, but babies are resilient and they recover very quickly and don't hold grudges. Leela is so lucky to have such a loving, thoughtful, and sweet mommy like you! Congratulations on making it a year and know that your sweetie loves you!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

smomom
10-16-2004, 10:31 PM
I'll be sending a ton of happy thoughts your way. I can't believe little Leela is already one. Time flies so fast... but don't worry, each stage of their lives is as wonderful or even more wonderful than the last. I hope that everything goes well for the big bash tomorrow.

Relax and enjoy.... and take lots of pictures! I can't wait to see them!

Happy early birthday Leela!!!

pritchettzoo
10-16-2004, 10:49 PM
First of all, you're a fantastic mommy. I know you want to beat people about the head and face, but that would get you sent to jail and *that* would ruin her birthday. ;) Seriously, Leela will not remember her first birthday. All she'll see are the pictures. So if you can pull it together enough to smile three times (candle, cake, presents), then she'll think she had the world's best party thanks to her mommy.

I know what you mean about the reality hitting. I get all short of breath and teary when I think that one day Gracie won't let me kiss her toes and sweep her up and snuzzle her. I had no idea I was capable of loving anyone this much.

Can you make DH the heavy and boot people out for her nap tomorrow?

I hope you have a wonderful party. Can't wait to see the pics of her (YOUR!) big day.

Anna

lrucci
10-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Rashmi,

(((HUGS)) to you and Miss Leela. Your post has me in tears because this is EXACTLY how I felt on Kyleigh's birthday. I was such a wreck. So I totally can relate to how you are feeling.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow and congratulations on your year of motherhood. You are an awesome mom and Leela is one lucky little lady.

Happy Birthday Leela. Kyleigh sends you big hugs.

Sending you lots of sleeping vibes across NoVA.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

tippy
10-17-2004, 03:00 AM
Wow, you’re really described exactly how I felt when ds turned one and how I feel in general about him. You are so not alone. I'm sure once Leela is rested she'll be up to the "challenge" of thoroughly enjoying her birthday! I'm sure you will too. Get some rest mama.

heidis2girls
10-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Rashmi, I totally understand how you feel. My girls just turned 3 and 5 and it is unbelievable to me that I have children now, not babies! I told DH before Sarah's birthday that she can't possibly be 3 years old, that is just wrong! We must have missed a year or two somehow. I cried off and on all day on Hannah's 5th birthday. Five was a big milestone to me, all of a sudden she is not a toddler, but officially a little girl.

Hannah also had a major meltdown on her first birthday and I sobbed all the way through the Happy Birthday song on Sarah's first birthday! Birthdays are an extremely emotional event when you have children.

I hope Leela slept well last night and gets her nap today. She will have a wonderful birthday because she will be with so many people who love her! Take care of yourself, too, and enjoy the party!

barbarhow
10-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Rashmi-The year does fly. It becomes so packed with so many memories that at times it is overwhelming. Take some time for yourself and Leela-steal her away from the crowd-hide in a room somewhere and hug her love her and look into those big eyes of hers and remember that you are why she is so wonderful. You have worked really hard this year. One look at her will show how it has paid off. Yeah its her day-but its your day, too. The reality is that she won't even remember the day. You will. Hang in there sweetie. I hope she had a great night sleep and that you did, too. Let us know how it all went. ((((HUGS))))
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

jasabo
10-17-2004, 05:45 PM
I know how emotional it is, looking back and thinking about how quickly they've grown. But try to remind yourself of all the fun things you have to look forward to, rather then thinking about the past. We are blessed to be parents to these kiddos forever!! How cool is that?!? :) And don't worry about her meltdown on her birthday. Not to downplay it, but at this age, it was just any other day to her. So try not to feel guilty.

Lisa - mom to 16 month old twin boys