PDA

View Full Version : What exactly happens at a Gymboree GymCrawlers class?

eb1
10-16-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm going to take my son for a free preview class next week, but I'm curious about the format and content.

(And, um, do they make us sing?)

Thanks!

eb1
10-16-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm going to take my son for a free preview class next week, but I'm curious about the format and content.

(And, um, do they make us sing?)

Thanks!

Joshuasmommy
10-16-2004, 08:30 PM
It has been a couple of months since I have been because our closest location closed :( but this is as best I remember.

You start out in a circle singing a few songs with the kids and then the teacher explains that weeks "theme" and tells how you can use the equipment to do the theme. Like if the theme is balancing, she explains what to do to help your kids work on balance. Then it is free play, there is a ton of different things to do and everyone where I went just let their child lead them with what they wanted to do. Then it is parachute time where you sit on the parachute and talk about a kid topic while the kids play with toys. They blow bubbles and sing more songs and do activities with the parachute. Let me warn you though, the songs stick in your head!

Joshuasmommy
10-16-2004, 08:30 PM
It has been a couple of months since I have been because our closest location closed :( but this is as best I remember.

You start out in a circle singing a few songs with the kids and then the teacher explains that weeks "theme" and tells how you can use the equipment to do the theme. Like if the theme is balancing, she explains what to do to help your kids work on balance. Then it is free play, there is a ton of different things to do and everyone where I went just let their child lead them with what they wanted to do. Then it is parachute time where you sit on the parachute and talk about a kid topic while the kids play with toys. They blow bubbles and sing more songs and do activities with the parachute. Let me warn you though, the songs stick in your head!

Tori_s mom
10-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Tori and I have lots of fun at our GymCrawlers class. You begin in a circle with some welcome songs and baby movement, ex. stand up, sit down, hand clapping. Then you do the theme as PP mentioned. So far, we've mostly done crawling through tunnels. (Tori just began to crawl, so it's really Mommy pull Tori through short tunnel. :) ) We also do parachute time and bubbles.

One of the interesting parts is discussion time. The teacher will give us a topic, and we each talk about it. We've discussed guilt we feel as parents, the best & worst advice we have received, and sleep routines.

It's a great experience to meet other parents and not feel so isolated. I also think Tori learns by watching the other babies. Don't worry about the singing part. Most of the tunes are songs you will already know, and no one cares if you have an operatic voice. ;) It's all about having fun. Tori loves when I sing Gymbo songs at home. She gets a big grin on her face and giggles. HTH!

Tasha

Tori_s mom
10-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Tori and I have lots of fun at our GymCrawlers class. You begin in a circle with some welcome songs and baby movement, ex. stand up, sit down, hand clapping. Then you do the theme as PP mentioned. So far, we've mostly done crawling through tunnels. (Tori just began to crawl, so it's really Mommy pull Tori through short tunnel. :) ) We also do parachute time and bubbles.

One of the interesting parts is discussion time. The teacher will give us a topic, and we each talk about it. We've discussed guilt we feel as parents, the best & worst advice we have received, and sleep routines.

It's a great experience to meet other parents and not feel so isolated. I also think Tori learns by watching the other babies. Don't worry about the singing part. Most of the tunes are songs you will already know, and no one cares if you have an operatic voice. ;) It's all about having fun. Tori loves when I sing Gymbo songs at home. She gets a big grin on her face and giggles. HTH!

Tasha

jubilee
10-17-2004, 03:24 AM
When my son was in gymcrawlers, it was much the same as everyone else said. You can't wear shoes in the gym, so bring or wear socks. The leader has you all sit on the main mat and sing and do hand motions with the kiddos... like "wheels on the bus" or "sittin' in my high chair". If you don't know the songs (I sure didn't) don't worry in a few weeks you won't be able to get them out of your head! Then after 10 minutes of song time, you all get to wander the gym on different playstations. Like tunnels, inclines, walkways, etc. They want you to stay within arm's reach of your baby at all times. Then it's time to go back to the main mat and talk about the question of the week while the babies play on a parachute laying on the mat. Then more singing and waving the parachute above the babies. At the end the leader gets a box with Gymbo the Clown (a puppet). Magically it draws all the kids over to it. Gymbo then says goodbye to each baby and the class is over. Hope you both have a great time!!

Joshuasmommy
10-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Our teacher would bring out the giant Gymbo, we had a sub once who brought out the puppet and the kids were not impressed. :) My DH said it was a little Gymbo cult and all the kids were there to worship Gymbo because of the way the all flocked to him.