PDA

View Full Version : Looking for invite ideas for an 80's birthday party

brigmaman
10-17-2004, 01:56 PM
My sister is throwing herself a 30th birthday party with an 80's theme in December. Though there are tons of 60's and 70's materials available, the 80's haven't quite made the party supply stores yet. We're trying to think of creative invites that we could make ourselves either on the computer or using other materials. Any ideas?

alkagift
10-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I was just cleaning out my audio stuff and came across my tape case that I took to college with all my old tapes. There was some pretty out there cover art on the tapes that you might use as a jumping off point for some invites. I'm thinking of Janet Jackson's "Control" album with the outline of the wild hair and unbelievable shoulder pads. Most 80's theme stuff I can think of would focus on the pop music (Jackson, Prince, Night Ranger (ick), etc) but there was some pretty interesting things going on bands that were less popular at the time, Alphaville, Yaz, Marillion, etc. The punk movement had finally made it into the high schools like crazy so there was the beginning of skateboarding, mohawks and blue hair, the dog collars, etc. I graduated in '85 so I remember that stuff. Reggae and ska were underground things too. Oh, and of course, the BIG HAIR bands!

The things I remember were BRIGHT colors like turquoise and hot pink, grey rubber patches on things, Benetton, Esprit clothes, PERMS for girls and big hair for guys, lace with leather, torn clothes (like old school Madonna).

For a fun giveaway for people who come, you could make them all a cassette of the 80's music you play. That was such a big deal, if a guy you liked made you a tape!

Hope that helps!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15080.jpg

ellies mom
10-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I had friends that did an 8O's prom. I was out of town, but it would have been great to wear my pink and black lace prom gown one last time. Anyhow, maybe you could do a "prom flyer" type announcement, or like the PP but use a Naegel (sp?) style picture. They were pretty hot. Sound like a lot of fun.

jbowman
10-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Veronica--Nagel (sp?)-inspired art work: highly stylized images in varying shades of burgundy & purple (a la the cover of Duran Duran's Rio album!).

The party sounds *totally rad*, LOL!