PDA

View Full Version : need info. on scabies

LucyG
10-17-2004, 06:09 PM
I just found out that a little boy in our church has scabies. My DD is with him in the nursery on Sundays, and she also played at his house a couple of weeks ago. The child's mother says that he is not contagious, as he has been on medication for a few days now. I read up in my Dr. Sears book, and it seems that scabies is (are?) highly contagious. Is there anything I need to do other than watch my DD for symptoms? I read in one place that a child can have the mites for up to 6 or 8 weeks before symptoms appear. True? Does anyone have any information on scabies? Thanks!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
19 months and counting!

mmaimp
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
I’ve been possibly exposed to scabies twice in my previous career in healthcare. The first time I was just married and opted to treat myself with meds when the residents of my community were treated. Only one resident had scabies and no staff or residents had symptoms of infection after treatment. The second time I was 5 months pregnant with DS and followed my doctor’s advice to not treat unless I had symptoms and I did not get scabies. Though at this community more than one resident contracted scabies. I did not provide care for residents but did have direct contact with most everyone who lived at my facility.

If I remember correctly the easiest way for scabies to be transmitted is through infected towels and linens and prolonged contact with an infected person. Each time we I went through a scabies outbreak laundry and housekeeping was the biggest problem as everything had to be clean after treatment to ensure no infestation.

I would contact your pediatrician for advice on treatment for your DD. Maybe one of the doctors or nurses who post can better answer your questions.

I hope everything turns out ok for you and DD,

LucyG
10-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks, Michelle! The nurse at the ped.'s office said there is really nothing we can do other than to watch DD for symptoms. Hopefully, her contact with the child was minimal enough to avoid her catching it. The nurse advised staying away from the child until his symptoms clear up, even though he is on medication now.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
19 months and counting!