PDA

View Full Version : What is essential for a baby registry?

jstevens
10-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Would like to get your opinions on what is necessary to register for. I am helping my sister-in-law in a few weeks establish her baby registry and need some opinions. In your mind, what could you not live without? What did you feel you could get away not having? The most important things for me were a stroller, bouncer seat, swing and of course car seat. Any suggestions?

Misha412
10-18-2004, 03:34 PM
I agree with your list so far 100%! Besides the ones you suggested, I thought the following items were really helpful:

1) A front-carrier or sling: Sometimes they just want to be held, and when your arms can't take another second, these are a lifesaver!

2) Diapers & diaper-bag: It was so nice not to have to worry about going out for diapers in the first few weeks. Register for an assortment so she can see what ones she likes best.

3) Diaper pail: I love my Diaper Dekor, but I've heard great things about other brands too.

4) Plenty of receiving blankets: Especially if the baby is due in wintertime or she lives in a cooler climate

5) Feeding (Boppy) pillow: Great for breast or bottle-feeding and then later, you can use it to help baby learn to sit on his/her own

6) A monitor: Great source of comfort for the constantly worrying new mom. I loved my Angelcare, but the video monitors are great too!

7) Newborn tub (& washcloths): Get one with features like a non-slip backing or molded sides to make bathtime less nerve-wracking for mom!

8) Car seat cover-up -- NoJo makes a good one. Good for keeping baby warm in chilly weather without burying them in blankets.

9) Play gym -- Great way to amuse baby and give him/her some essential tummy-time

10) Breastpump, microwave sterilizer and bottles -- Nothing worse then deciding to pump/store BM or give formula, and not having the equipment on hand to do it!

I hope this helps -- I'm sure I missed some things but maybe others will add their two cents as well!

Good luck!

jbowman
10-18-2004, 03:41 PM
I could not live without my Boppy pillow (the MOST IMPORTANT thing IMHO) the first few months!

I have also LOVED the following things:

1) Peg Perego P3--very versatile and comfy for the child
2) Fisher Price Kick n' Play Bouncer
3) breast pump, if she is BFing
4) those "multi-use" pads that can be used as burp cloths, on the changing table, etc.
5) the Eurotub--that thing is awesome!

Oh, and tell her not to register for clothes and blankets b/c she'll get a ton of those things anyway! Hope she has fun!

C99
10-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Nothing is essential for a baby registry. That isn't to say that things aren't essential for having a baby -- such as carseat, sleepers, onesies, and a place for the baby to sleep.

jstevens
10-18-2004, 04:00 PM
I agree nothing is essential. I should say what did you find most useful? She is having the baby in March. Concerning strollers, if I was to do it again, I would probably get one of those Kolcraft universal car seat carrier for the first few months and then get a good lightweight stroller that is able to recline for when the baby is older. Anyone have any suggestions where that is concerned? Also, the Eurotub. Can you use that with newborns? Is it too big, meaning is it secure enough where you don't have to worry about the baby slipping off to the side?

HGraceMom
10-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Infant sized onesies, etc (I got tons of clothes, but it was all 6-9-12, even 18 month sizes!) DH had to go shopping with my MIL the first week we had her home.
If I can suggest anything to my preggo girlfriends, it's to get the stroller you want, even if it's more $$ - in the end, almost everyone I know who registered for a "moderate" - aka Graco stroller has upgraded & spent more $ in the long term.
Definitely a diaper pail, no matter what the brand
what about diapers, too?
a pack'n play with full bassinet to use in lieu of a changing table
an infant seat and a toddler / convertible seat
monitor

jbowman
10-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Also, the Eurotub. Can
>you use that with newborns? Is it too big, meaning is it
>secure enough where you don't have to worry about the baby
>slipping off to the side?

We began using the Eurotub as soon as we started giving Ellie "real baths." We never had a problem and we still use it! I think it is great and I am glad that I registered for it. HTH!

babymama
10-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Here are things that I didn't know to include on my registry and would have loved to have as gifts:
1) Nursing stool
I didn't know about nursing stools until after DS was born. I would have definitely registered for one if I had known about them.

2) miracle blanket/Happiest Baby on the Block book
Swaddling was so key for us for at least the first 4 months.

3) Dr Sears baby book - I got a hand me down version and we've referred to it quite a bit since DS's birth

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

Melanie
10-18-2004, 06:44 PM
-Shopping Cart Cover (if they have the nice large ones, not the skimpy kind)
-Monitor
-Boppy
-Nursing Stool
-Nursing pads
-GOOD Pump (PIS)
-Cradle Swing (Goes both ways)
-Car Seat (Infant & Britax convertible)
-LIGHTWEIGHT stroller...I got one of those hefty models and hated carting it around
-Microfleece Blankets for swaddling (they're stretchier!)
-Carter's Towels
-Tub (I didn't like mine, but the eurotub seems popular)
-Changing Table
-Nice big blanket to lay the baby on the floor for tummy time
-Digital Camera (No joke...best baby shower gift we received!)
-Bath Visor

tinkerbell1217
10-18-2004, 07:16 PM
A car seat, of course, is a must, but other things come to mind for me:

1. bouncer or soother vibrating seat like the Fisher Price Baby Papsan (which DD LOVES!!!!!).

2. Swing (when I need a break and have to get something done without baby in my arms)

3. Carrier or sling

4. about 3 dozen cloth diapers to use as spit up towels over the shoulder while burping and for numerous other odds and ends!

5. Some kind of crib toy like the Ocean Wonders Aquarium.

6. Maid service for the first month or so once a week would have been great!

7. Sleepsacks are great!

8. Little snap side t shirts so nothing irritates baby's belly til the stump falls off.

9. If she doesn't have one, a cordless phone!

10. Digital camera

11. Portable Cd player/boombox type radio.

12. small portable refrigerator to keep in parents bedroom for late night feedings if bottle feeding.

13. Bottle warmer

14. Something like a small mobile or mirror to put over the changing area to keep baby interested while changing diapers and dressing.

15. Boppy pillow.

16. Breast pads, even if she isn't breastfeeding.

17. A stroller with full recline.

Hope that helped!

KrisM
10-18-2004, 10:20 PM
>
>9. If she doesn't have one, a cordless phone!
>

I also suggest a headset for the phone. At the beginning, they eat often and take a long time, a headset is great!

tinkerbell1217
10-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Very true! I didn't think of that!

californiagirl
10-19-2004, 04:38 PM
A couple of my friends got pregnant recently and asked my opinion, and I wrote up the following opinionated screed: http://www.otoh.org/opal/registry.html

I need to do some edits to it, to add links, and to add some notes -- like, the kind of house you live in makes a big difference. Also to say something about baby monitors.

Sarah1
10-19-2004, 08:25 PM
BURP CLOTHS :)