PDA

View Full Version : Home vs Center Dare Care for toddler (long)

dogmom
10-18-2004, 02:48 PM
I've been fortunate that as a nurse I have not had to use daycare for my DS. I work every other weekend and one night. I like work, I carry the benefits, and we can use the money, so I want to continue working. Since DS is getting older (21 months) and likes spending time with kids I thought putting him in daycare a couple of days of week would expose him to more kids, a fun environment, give me more scheduling options, and NOT have me staying up after working all night. Also, I would like to get off this every other weekend thing and see my husband more. I just looked at a home daycare and a center day care today and I'm really torn.

Home:
Pros: It's much less expensive, both by hour and by the fact I only have to pay for the hours I use. Flexable, so I could pick the days I want and schedule and extra day if I want. No minium hours. So if only have him in until 2pm or so for me to sleep, I'm not paying for a full day. Also, it's a much smaller pool of kids to expose him to germs and they only do under 3. Would feed him breakfast, something my husband would definately like for the morning drop off. They have a dog, he loves dogs.

Cons: Small house, only two providors. They have other of their family members that might visit during the day that are not providors. Not as much toys, planned activities, curriculum. Generally I feel like there are less parents going in and out to keep an eye on things. House seemed cluttered more than messy, since it is small.

Daycare Center:
Pros: Very nice facility. Great outdoor area. Have a good activity schedule. Bring people in for special programs (music, firefighters, etc). Unlike other centers they are willing to let you choose the days, so I could do every Monday and Friday one month with my schedule, then change to every Monday and Thursday the next month. They have a curriculum and certified teachers and also have a preschool program.

Cons: They require a minimum of two full days. Between this and the slightly higher hourly rate I would be paying probably twice what I would be in the other place.

I like the daycare center best. DS ran right in sat himself down and started drawing at the art table. I think it would be something he would look forward to. I think the home daycare is more like babysitting than a school situation. So I would feel if I wasn't working or sleeping I should have him at home.

I don't have to make a decision right away, but I am mulling it over. My son does well in strange circumstances and groups, and I think he would benefit from the structure. I just want to make sure I'm not rushing him into something for my own scheduling (re: sleep) issues. I guess normally I would wait until preschool, but because his birthday is in January he won't be able to go to preschool until he is almost 4 years old. Don't want to wait that long.

I'm sure someone else here has been through this. Any input?

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-18-2004, 06:56 PM
;,. nv v
Jeane I am trying to type a response to you and as you can tell the T'ster is trying to help....so I'll respond when I get him passed off to Steve...

I hope someone else will also have some ideas...
when I needed someone while I did about 10-12 hours a week from home on contract I used a home setting.

I don't think there is a right answer and it is so case by case but I preferred him in a home...but I have dear friends who swear by the opposite...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

LBW
10-18-2004, 08:28 PM
I've had great experiences with a center -- or "school" as we call it. We love the dance and music classes, the huge range of activities, and the exposure to lots of kids and teachers. My son is so much more social than either me or my husband and I think his daycare deserves a lot of credit for that.

To help reduce the cost, have you factored in pretax deductions from your paycheck for dependent care? (I don't know if your hospital offers that or not.)

I know people with great experiences in home care, but it wasn't the right option for us.

missym
10-19-2004, 12:41 AM
I think it totally depends on the home or center. We found an "in-home" center which we love... but it's not really in the sitter's home. She has an outbuilding which was remodelled specifically to be a daycare, so it's ideally suited to it. We really like our sitter, are ok with her backup sitters, and love the price. A center just wouldn't have worked for us financially, and we wanted something more personal.

That being said, I would only ever go with a licensed sitter or center. I've used 2 unlicensed in-home sitters, and even though they each have little ones of their own, they simply were not as safety-conscious (outlet covers, exposed hearth, etc.). I trusted them, but not the environment, KWIM?

Good luck with your decision!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

smkinc
10-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Jeanne,

Based on what you described, I would definitely go with the center. J. just started outside the home daycare 3 weeks ago (at ~20 months)--Like a PP, we have an in-home sitter, but her 'program' is really more like the center (lots of toys, activities and field trips). DS is loving it! He's only gone 3 days/week (from ~8-1 each day)so far, but he is getting so stimulated and likes being with the other 2 children and 'doing' all of the activities.

It has been a bit of an adjustment for everyone--but after 3 weeks, he isn't even crying when we drop him off--he just runs in and starts playing. I think outside the home childcare can be very good if it is a positive, safe place with lots of activities and caring caretakers. I think it can be horrible if it is not.

HTH,
Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/04

marit
10-20-2004, 08:56 AM
I used to be a home daycare advocat (at least for babies) and now that I finally put DD in a center - I'm a convert!

I guess it depends on the home daycare, but at least for me, she is getting SO MUCH more now. They are doing much more art, storytime, playing outside and other age-appropriate things. I am seeing a real difference in her confidence, she is thriving, her language got WAY better. They tell you how the day went and don't try to make it look "pretty" if it isn't. I also think for a toddler, germs are less of an issue than for a baby.

I too, felt like Maya needed the company of other kids, and I was right, so I think you're doing the right thing. She is having so much fun there, it is sometimes hard to take her home.

Now, it is way more expensive, which is really depressing. But once you see on your child how happy they are to be in the new settings and how they thrive, the money becomes a non issue. It is so worth it.

HTH,

momma_boo
10-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Since you clearly prefer the daycare over the home care, I say you should follow your gut. It may cost a little more, but you'll know that you put him in what you thought was the better place.

DD is currently in a home-based daycare, but it's the best of both worlds for me since there is a good number of kids (and providers) and she does have planned activities for them. The older kids (4 year olds) get a little activity/lesson time with a local kindergarten teacher who works there in the afternoon (who I found out was my sister's kindergarten teacher).
Alas, she is retiring and will close next summer. So I will soon be searching and trying to decide what type of facility to go with.

Best of luck deciding!

dogmom
10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I did decided that the one home day care I looked at wasn't for us. I think if I had a baby it would be different. I could see taking him their and him "growing up" with a group of kids, but that's not want I'm looking for. I called a couple other home places, but they either have kids much older or younger than him, or they are only taking up to 3 pm because then they get the afterschool kids. That would rule out any evening shifts for me. Which would be nice because I could to the morning routine and make it on over to daycare. (I know DH would much rather do pick-up than drop-off.)

I'm going to see another center that is run by the Jewish Community Center. I really like their philosphy and will see how it looks. Then I think I will schedule him for a several hour observation at both places if I like both.

Of course my MIL is flipping out at the prospect of daycare. She is once again using this as an excuse to move into our basement (which is not finished, yet) and provide daycare for me. Of course (1) we don't have the tens of thousands of dollars to finish off the basement, (2) my DH wants his Mother living with us less than I do, (3) she thinks she will have to work less because she would save money, but she doesn't pay rent now where she lives, which I guess means she will be getting money for everything else form us and (4) she is phobic about germs and we didn't see her for a month after my DS gave her a cold. I guess she was planning to seal off the basement when he gets sick.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03