PDA

View Full Version : birthday favor questions

lablover
10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi – I’m hoping someone can give me some advice….I’m having a 1st birthday party for my DS this Saturday. It’s really going to be more of just a regular party, no games or anything – we invited friends and family and we are having a cookout. So it’ll be food, drinks and cake. I bought the Baby Einstein plates and napkins, and the cake will be Baby Einstein. I bought sidewalk chalk, balls, etc to hopefully entertain the kids while the adults hang out. Since most of our friends have kids, I wanted to do some sort of goody bag. I’m adding up the kids and I’m feeling a little stressed because I don’t know what to get for particular ages. There will be 5 yr olds (3), a 4 yr old, 3 yr olds (3), 2 yr olds (4), and 6 others that are under 1 yr. The babies under 1 won’t be a big deal for me but what about for the older kids? And should I abide by the “for kids 3 and older” statement on some products? Things like bubbles and stickers say that – so would it be inappropriate for a 2 yr old? Thanks in advance!

C99
10-18-2004, 05:36 PM
In the interest of fairness and making things easier for you, I'd just put the same thing in every goody bag. Most goody bags that Nate has gotten have been filled with simple things -- a ball or a bottle of bubbles and some candies or fruit snacks. My playgroup friends and I agree that the candy is for the parents and the toy is for the kid. :)

HGraceMom
10-18-2004, 08:15 PM
We've received all sorts of goodie bags including...

a small pack of crayons & small notebook
two crayola Color Wonder markers & a few of sheets of the special paper
a box of sidewalk chalk
play doh
a smallish (softball sized) bouncy ball
we've been sent home with one of the birthday balloons (dd's favorite gift at 2yo)
matchbox cars
one mom took digital photos during the party, DH printed them during dinner and put them in theme-decorated frames for us to take home
a bag of noisemakers (I hated that gift!)
homemade cookies (one mom decorated each with DS's initial!)
bubble bath
mini puzzles

the arts & crafts stuff might be able to span the most ages - Holy Cow! Looking at this list, I didn't realize we've been to so many parties! Don't get stressed out - and try the dollar store - you never know what cool thing they'll have in stock.
HTH.

Bearhut
10-18-2004, 10:13 PM
We just had DD's first birthday this weekend and I got little Teddy Bears for favors (to go with the Teddy Bear's Picnic theme). Since the twelve children at the party ranged in ages from one to twelve, I had no idea what the reaction would be. Surprisingly, they were a hit. My nine year old nephew asked if he could take two, the twelve year old took one home (in his pocket, of course) and the little one's loved them. I got them for about $1.50 each at A.C. Moore's and just added a colorful bow around the neck. Favors are tough at this age. Try not to stress. Enjoy the party

jbowman
10-18-2004, 10:23 PM
We're in the midst of plannng my DD's first birthday party and there will be children of different ages there. Since we have chosen a circus/animal theme (no clowns!), we are giving away little boxes of animal crackers (in those Ringling Bros. boxes). I think that will please all of the children. HTH!

Mommy_Again
10-19-2004, 12:32 AM
DS's first birthday party is this Saturday as well! I will be thinking of you guys.

Most of the kids are 1-ish, but I do have a 5 and 8 yr old. I burned CDs with kid-friendly Halloween songs, and I also made frames with a note that says to save it for a picture we will send after the party (I will snap some during the festivities).

The easiest thing would be to go to a dollar store or a party supply store and you will have lots of "junk" to choose from!!

kitmama
10-19-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm glad you asked this- littleman's birthday is the 30th, and I still need to put favors together. When my friend's little boy turned one, she passed out party favor bags with a pencil, a cute notepad, a snack pack of teddy grahms and one of animal crackers, and a single-serve applesauce. I thought it was really cute and I appreciated the fact that there wasn't any candy or tiny junky plastic things. (But as a kid I loved candy and tiny junky plastic things, so I guess they make good favors, too!) :)

Buffys Mommy
10-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Sarah's party is also this Saturday. We went with a Sesame Street theme. As such, our goodie bags have crayons, goldfish crackers, and bubbles (all things Elmo loves). I'm adding a tag that says Elmo wants to thank you for coming to Sarah's party by sharing some of the things Elmo loves with you. I'm giving the bags to everyone over one. I have three under one year olds and I found puppets at Walgreens (Elmo, Cookie and Ernie) for them.

If you are concerned about bubbles, stickers etc. could you do those for the older kids and maybe books or cd's of baby einstein for the younger one. Costco had a boxed book set for $20 when I was in there tonight. You could give each of the younger kids one or two in a goodie bag and keep the rest for DS.

Also - I went to a party recently where a stuffed animal was the giveaway and it did appeal to a wide range of ages.

I hope you have a great party!

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

lablover
10-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks so much everyone! Great ideas!!!!

Tammie - do you know approx. how many books were in that costco set?