PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy Skincare Question

ncmommy
10-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Uggghhh. My face is breaking out like crazy! I'm curious, what was your skin care routine during pregnancy? I know most acne meds are out of the question, but something has to help! I keep reading things that say to use "pregnancy safe" skincare products, but I have yet to find a brand that claims to be pregnancy-safe, or a list of ingredients to avoid.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tori_s mom
10-19-2004, 10:50 AM
My skin went bonkers when I was pregnant, too. Mine actually got really, really dry. I don't think I changed my routine too much, but I did make sure to moisturize a lot. Here's a link that talks about a few acne treatments:

http://health.discovery.com/centers/pregnancy/americanbaby/skincare.html

HTH!
Tasha

KrisM
10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
I was told that I only needed to avoid Retin A during pregnancy. I used Clean & Clear with Salicylic Acid. It worked okay.

calebsmama03
10-19-2004, 12:33 PM
You can use small amts of benzoyl peroxide and salacylic acid, though some will not advise that since the med is similar to aspirin. My skincare routine was/is more what to AVOID putting on my skin to cause breakouts rather than what to use to treat them. FOr treating I still dab a touch of BP on any bumps, but I'm too dry to use it regularly. I used to use this brand of skincare, and it worked very well when I was having a hormonal flare-up, and into my first pg. I used it for about 2 years. The website has some good info on general skincare for acne, myths about diet, and lists of safe makeup and ingredients (look under "acne detective list" i I printed this out and compared all labels I owned and before I bought, this REALLY helped keep my skin clear). I'd recommend reading the site even if you're not interested in the products - I learned a lot from it!
www.sageskincare.com

Now I'm into 100% natural without parabens, or other chemical preservatives so I'm no longer using it, but I still refer to their safe cosmetics list and ingredient database (which ranks 0-5 the potential for causing acne). I used to be dilligent about reading labels for ALL makeup, lotions and haircare to avoid any ingredients rated 3 or higher. Just because the label says it's non-comedogenic doesn't necessarily mean it's true!

I've also recently switched to mineral makeup because it's all natural (just mica and iron oxides) and I like the way my face looks and feels. I'm much clearer this pg than with Caleb!
www.monave.com is the one I"m using, but there's tons more if you google it!

Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

psophia17
10-19-2004, 12:44 PM
I read somewhere when I was 16 or so that if you moisturize regularly, you will have fewer problems with breakouts. I started using St. Ives Collagen Elastin facial moisturizer (they have a hand cream, too, so be careful) then, because my older sister was always breaking out. I never did to the same degree, and kept up with the moisturizer ever since. While pg, I was definitely producing more oil and grossness (I glowed, I was so shiny) but I moisturized a ton anyhow, at least twice a day. I think the idea is that if you are applying moisture to your face, then your body won't need to produce as much on its own.

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

Saartje
10-19-2004, 12:45 PM
I used (and still use now) Dove Cleansing Pillows. They're convenient to use, not drying, and you can use the smooth side for removing makeup followed by the rough side for exfoliating. Using these made it so much easier to keep my face clean that I didn't break out so much.

JMS
10-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Ok.. where do I start. I'm a bit skin obsessed and when I was pregnant, my skin went crazy as well, mainly with breakouts, but also at times, having excessive dryness issues. I don't know too much about what to avoid in order to feel confident advising you on it, but I don't think you're going to run into a problem with many OTC products, unless there is a specific warning on the package.

I would start by trying to balance you pH and by getting your face really clean without stripping the natural oils. These to me are the two most basic, fundamental skincare steps but many people overlook them. Use a alcohol-free toner to balance your pH. I like Murad's (it's pinkish in color, forget the name) and it's non-drying. I LOVE CETAPHIL as a cleanser (and you can get eco-sized containers at Costco, or it's available at any drugstore). It's the one product I'll never give up. I use a lot of very high-end skin products and get facials monthly (well, up to when DD was born at least) and I'll never change cleansers. Cetaphil is very gentle and non-drying. Also, when DD was about 2 months old, she got horrible baby acne. Cetaphil was safe to use on her and it worked wonders, but you have to avoid the eye area obviously. So clean with Cetaphil, then spritz with toner and let air dry. Then a mosturizer (and/or sunscreen) if needed. I would try this for a week or so before I added any acne specific products to let you skin's inflamation calm down. I think in addition to the hormonal changes you are facing when pregnant, you skin is also very senstive, which is probably related. The salcilic (sp?) and gylcolic acids are very irritating to me, even when not pregnant. They can also be drying and if you breakouts are more hormonal, you could breakout worse because your oil glands may go into over production mode. I would use minimal makeup or possibly try a mineral based faced makeup (Bare essentials or Jane Iredale) but they don't contain talc.

I could go on and on with all this.. but hopefully the above was somewhat helpful. Good luck!

MelissaTC
10-19-2004, 01:25 PM
I second Cetaphil. It is the best. I have a hormonal related syndrome that can really do a number on my skin. Whenever I diligently use Cetaphil, my acne magically disappears. I also use the Cetaphil mosturizer. I have very sensitive skin and most makeup & mosturizers make me break out. I have had great luck with MAC, Prescriptives and Mary Kay.

HTH!

JennyLynn
10-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I had *bad* pregnancy breakouts on my face, chest and back from about 3 to 5 months. I second the recommendation for Cetaphil - a good, gentle cleanser. I also used rubbing alcohol as a toner once a day (I can hear jaws dropping about the rubbing alcohol, but it was the only thing that would work for me to control the breakouts) followed by St. Ives Collagen and Elastin moisturizer.

For chest and back I used Neutrogena acne control body wash on a mesh pouf, followed up with rubbing alcohol. I was so oily that this didn't even begin to dry out my skin, but it did help somewhat. I think Neutrogena has salacylic acid and some folks frown on that during pregnancy, but I didn't worry about it too much since my skin only came in contact with it for a few moments before I rinsed off.

I told my DH that breakouts and morning sickness were the two absolute worst aspects of being pregnant! I had a really hard time with both. I hope you are lucky and the hormones and breakouts settle down soon.

Jenny

Sarah1
10-19-2004, 04:49 PM
I totally relate. My skin was TERRIBLE during pregnancy. I was constantly plagued by whiteheads all over my face and also breakouts all over my shoulders! Nothing I used really improved it (I also had a couple of facials, which didn't help!), so I basically just washed my face (can't remember what I was using then) and used a light moisturizer.

GOOD LUCK and don't worry about it too much.

Puddy73
10-19-2004, 05:53 PM
I've had pretty good luck with the Eucerin clear complexion line. It does not contain salicylic acid or BP, so it should be fine for you to use while you are pregnant. To dry up big breakouts I use a dab of Neutrogena On the Spot, which is 2.5% BP and is less drying than some other BP formulas. Like one of the PPs, I also used Sage Skin Care. Their products are terrific, but they are expensive and their suggested regimen is very time-consuming (up to 5 products two times a day). Using mineral makeup (if you wear makeup) and keeping your hands and hair off your face will help to prevent breakouts.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

ALLEYCAT
10-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Cetaphil here too. I use the store brand now since it less expensive but basically the same thimg. Walgreens and CVS both carry it in a cleanser and a moisturizer and a cream. The cream I buy only the name brand since it is much creamier and silky. It has made a huge improvement in my skin and I have tried alot of different products.

Marisa6826
10-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Well, first off, I go for a facial every four weeks. A total lifesaver for me. The first trimester seemed the worse by far in terms of breakouts. I guess all those hormones have no place to go.

I use Aveda Sensitive Skin cleanser followed by Skinceuticals Emollience moisturiser.

My skin is flaky dry now that the weather is changing, although my chin and jawline break out constantly. I have to be really conscious about not putting my hands up to my face. It directly impacts how often I get breakouts. Keeping your hair off your face and minimizing how much hair product you use along your hairline also helps.

My suggestion to you is to change you pillowcase daily (makes a HUGE difference, believe it or not!) and use a toner a couple times a day. Even if it's just rosewater with a little teatree oil or witchhazel it should help.

By the way, the more water you drink the better your skin will be! Sounds corny, but it's true!

-m