PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to compare issues of candidates in one place?

MartiesMom2B
10-19-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm putting together my list of who to vote for on election day and it's becoming a long process. I've printed off the ballots from each of the state's party's website and now I'm googling the candidates and looking up their issues on their website. Is there an easier way to do this?

-Sonia

brigmaman
10-19-2004, 10:01 PM
This month's issue of Real Simple has a great chart for people like me who need it all laid out neatly in one place. Last election I learned a ton from Time for Kids. (That's about my political speed ;))

hez
10-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Another option is the 'Get Educated' section of the League of Women Voters webpage:

http://www.lwv.org/

I've used my local version in the past, and just used the 'national' version to see how it compares. I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited to add: For the really local stuff I usually end up using my local major newspaper to find all the links to local races in one place.

Dyonia
10-20-2004, 02:10 AM
There is a new Web site (www.presidentmatch.com) that you through a question-and-answer guide on different areas of interest: social issues, crime, education, security and international policy, benefits programs, the economy, the environment, political and military experience. The user ranks their interest in questions in each of the categories.

The site says it is presented by "AOL News with TIME" In addition to the Q&A thing, there is a side by side comparison of the presidential candidates.

Sorry, I haven't found anything like this at the state level yet.

Good luck!

MartiesMom2B
10-20-2004, 09:42 AM
I actually know which candidate I'll choose for president. I just want to compare the local candidates. Sure there are ads all over the TV and since we're A -rated voters we get a lot of mail. But I want to compare the candidates on the issues.

Thanks for everyone's help. I guess I'll have to surf the web and ask the candidates questions.

-Sonia

jubilee
10-21-2004, 02:52 AM
That is an interesting website.... I had an ever-so-slight lean towards one candidate, but when I took the "test" it showed the opposite candidate as my president match. Interesting...

kijip
10-21-2004, 04:33 AM
Your local League of Women Voters will have a breakdown of local races. They are bi-partisan and the info is usually top notch. Another route is to select an organization the you like and generally agree with in your area- say your union or a non-profit and look for their endorsments and the reasoning behind them. Otherwise I have to say that citizenship is not very easy and to find the best and most detailed info you end up with diverse sources.

MartiesMom2B
10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
This website led me to www.congress.org, which is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much.

-Sonia