PDA

View Full Version : Finding inexpensive airfares to see a sick relative

pixelprincess
10-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Dh needs to go see a close uncle in a hospice situation. I am trying to find some inexpensive, compassion airfares and was wondering if anyone had luck finding any. Dh's work schedule is very inflexible so he can only go Sunday night and be back on Tues. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

californiamom
10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Sorry to hear about you DH's uncle... These are always stressful times.

I don't know about compassion fares, but I've always had pretty good luck with Travelocity. If you click on 'last minute deals' you will probably find good rates -- some include car, some hotel, and some both if those are also needed...

http://travelocity.lmdeals.com/?Service=TRAVELOCITY

HTH
Ana

kelly ann
10-20-2004, 05:00 PM
I know United Airlines has offered rates for these situations in the past so other major (not discount) airlines should as well. Just call up the reservations number and talk to an actual person. They may ask you for information regarding the hospice center and the doctor's name.

If you don't have any luck, then just check out regular fares on a discount airline since they pretty much have cheap fares all the time.

kelly ann
10-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Oops - double post

mamahill
10-20-2004, 05:10 PM
I've found that the major airlines don't give very good deals for bereavement fares, and generally with dumb restrictions (non-refundable. uh, it's not like this person is going to die again, thank you very much). I've always either looked for priceline-like deals, or gone through Southwest. It sucks that travel is so expensive when it's the last thing on your mind.

My condolences to your DH. Good luck with your research.

pixelprincess
10-20-2004, 05:41 PM
thanks for all your responses and wishes. i feel quite sad for dh and hope he can make it in time! his uncle elected to remove the feeding tube so not sure how things will be by the time dh makes it.
dh needs to go to Peoria, which involves a connecting flight and 60% of the time the connections are cancelled. so i went with a discount airline ATA (thanks kelly, wouldn't have thought of it) and car rental. what sucks is that none of my airline awards are available for those dates. they never seem to be even if i am booking way in advance.