PDA

View Full Version : Help! DD has a stomach bug...

miki
10-20-2004, 06:17 PM
I've been puked on 5 times so far. When she wants something to eat/drink, she's not keeping down the bit of clear fluids I'm offering. She always wants to nurse before bed for 10-15 minutes. Do I still nurse her if she wants? I don't want to set her up for puking in her crib. I'm not worried about dehydration--DD has plenty of energy and is still drooly.

jamsmu
10-20-2004, 07:25 PM
When DS had this the ped had me stop all dairy (although I could still nurse a little because it counts as a clear liquid) and give him pedialyte or Liquilytes instead. It worked like a charm!! Apparently, the electrolytes will rehydrate and settle the stomach.

slknight
10-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Sorry you all have got the sickies. I would let her nurse. Yes, she may still puke it up, but she might be comforted for a few minutes. The couple times when DS was sick while we were still nursing, I did let him nurse. Sometimes he kept it down and sometimes he didn't. But I didn't want to deny him the opportunity when he was miserable, kwim? Hopefully this will all be short-lived and she will be feeling better soon!

Tondi G
10-21-2004, 01:31 AM
when DS was little and had the pukies the nurse told me to give him a teaspoon of fluid every 10 to 15 minutes.... if he managed to keep that down I could slowly increase the ammt of liquid and see if his tummy could tolerate it. My DS only drank pedialite once and then refused it..... the peds office told me I could try gatorade if he refused the pedialite... he was much happier with the gatorade and at least it helped keep him from getting dehydrated! I would definetly nurse if she wants to... even if it makes her puke afterwards... breast milk is always the best stuff when they are sick!

I hope she feels better soon!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01