PDA

View Full Version : hCG levels?

sidmand
10-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know of a good website that talks about hCG levels and what are "normal" or not normal levels at different stages? This is all new to me and the doctor just called and gave me some numbers and weeks...but I'm the type of person that likes to check things out for myself as well. I found a few websites when I did a search, but they only went a few days out (or I just couldn't figure out what I needed.).

Thanks for any help,

Debbie

slknight
10-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Is this what you're looking for? It does go farther out in terms of weeks.

http://www.allaboutmoms.com/hcg.htm

ismommy
10-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Debbie,

I was following you story on the adoption board and felt so sad when it didnt happen. Does this question mean what I think it does? I am hoping so:)
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Debbie the number in the beginning are such a huge range of normal...I mean huge!!!!!
At the hospital I worked at "less than 2" meant negative.
I think the best way (after being pregnant 5 times) of knowing if things look good is to have serial BHcgs and to see if they respond normally vs seeing if a number is normal.

ALSO I will NEVER NEVER not have a prgesterone level done with my initital BHcg...research shows different things and might not totally stand by this but I honest to goodness think that a healthy pregnancy is in this number and getting on supplements right away if needed.
Folks can disagree and I don't mind...but for my body and my mind I would insist on a Progesterone level and being practive to get the result and supplements (if needed) ASAP...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

egoldber
10-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Here's another link:

http://www.conceivingconcepts.com/learning/articles/hcg.html

But honestly, the actual numbers mean very little. Its more important to see your HCG levels doubling every 48 hours in the early weeks.

Best of luck to you!

sidmand
10-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Hi Helene,

(And thank you to everyone...I am getting my blood test results sent by mail, so maybe there is more information in there now that I can figure out...this is all so completely new!)

It does mean what you think it does...I never thought I could be shocked, scared, and excited all at once! It's still very early, but I couldn't help myself, particularly with questions.

I know I've shared different information in different places...I have diabetes and we originally went to the adoption route first for various reasons, including that. When the third adoption attempt fell through, we did think we'd explore pregnancy. I went to a high-risk OB/GYN and although it was doable, there was a lot involved and we decided NOT to pursue a pregnancy because we felt like adoption was still the way to go. It turned out I was already pregnant! So shock it is. I knew there was a slight possiblity, but didn't think it was very probable. Who knew?

The shock is slowly wearing off and I'm getting more excited...and scared!

I hope you're doing well. I've been following your story as well and hope you're doing okay.

Take care,
Debbie

turtledove
10-21-2004, 12:56 PM
No advice, but I did want to say congratulations! A good friend of my family who has diabetes had three successful pregnancies with only minor health issues. Take care of yourself and talk with your doctor- you will be fine!

ismommy
10-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Hi Debbie,

WOOHOO! I was hoping I was right and that I wasn't being too ersonal. I have tears in my eyes and chills. Lots of sticky vibes being sent your way.CONGRATS!!
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-21-2004, 03:11 PM
We are all here for you...I am so thrilled to see this!!!!

Is there a way you can get your results not from the mail and have a repeat in 48 hours (or so)of drawing????

Congrats!!!!
How wonderful!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

Tori_s mom
10-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Congrats Debbie! What an amazing surprise....:) I'll be thinking lots of sticky, happy thoughts your way.

Tasha

Momof3Labs
10-22-2004, 12:42 AM
Here's my favorite site:

http://ivfer.com/hcg.htm

sidmand
10-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the links. It really helps to understand a bit more. I'm a total newbie when it comes to this information. I've seen things posted before and had no idea what people were talking about!

From what they've told me and what I've seen, so far the levels are quite high, but I see that that doesn't mean a heck of a lot until I get a second number. So I'll try to convince someone to give me another blood test as soon as I can. My first OB appointment isn't for another 4 weeks! It seems a long time to wait for the ultrasound and to make sure things are okay.

I'm a total worrier. I've promised though (myself and DH) not to read about all the exotic diseases and think I have everything. If it sounds like galloping, it's a horse (not a zebra), isn't that the adage from medical school, or something? I'm really going to try!

It so helps to know I can come here and post any question (no matter how dumb) and get a response.

Thanks again,
Debbie

egoldber
10-22-2004, 12:03 PM
It seems like you are not exactly sure when you conveived. If that is the case, most OBs (I think) would order an early ultrasound in order to date the pregnancy. But you can't really see anything on the ultrasound until the baby is at least 6 weeks (based on LMP). The HCG levels might give them an idea of when you would be around 6 weeks in that case.

If you do know when you conceived or are confident about your LMP date (last menstrual period) then there is really no reason to check and re-check the HCG levels. We had a lot of HCG testing done in the early days, but that was only because I have a history of early losses. If you have no history of that, then it is usual standard of care to not re-check the HCG levels. In fact, I would really recommend NOT doing that, because it can be very stressful.

Are you seeing a regular OB or a high risk OB? I would really get a referral to a high risk OB ASAP. They may decide to monitor you differently based on the fact that you have diabetes.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride!!!

sidmand
10-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi Beth,

Thanks for the info. I actually do know pretty much exactly when I conceived, which is how I know the levels are higher rather than lower! And for once I'm actually definite about my LMP date (kept a lot of mental records for the past few weeks!). I have no history of anything, so I'll try to just be unstressed. Easier said than done for me.

I am seeing a high-risk OB. In fact, I'm going to the Joslin Clinic Diabetes and Pregnancy Program and am seeing an endocronologist, a nurse educator, a nutritionist, and an OB. Phew. I figure from now on if someone can't get in touch with me, my standard response can probably be that I am at the doctor! I just thought it a bit odd that in the first few weeks I'll have seen all of those people EXCEPT the OB. You'd think that would be the first person to see?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really trying to just enjoy and not worry. My whole family is a bunch of worriers, so it's years of family angst to get over.

Debbie

egoldber
10-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Actually that sounds about right. LOL! The OB doesn't really "do" anything in the first weeks. The nutritionist, endocronologist and the nurse educator will have far more useful info for you!!! :)