PDA

View Full Version : MUST GET FLU SHOT! MUST HAVE IT!! SELFISH ME!

lizajane
10-21-2004, 11:32 AM
i AM high risk, i count!!! i have a toddler AND i am pregnant AND my baby will be born in jan, so right in flu season. so what time do you think i need to get to my church's flu shot clinic to be sure i get one??? i am a terrible person and i don't want them to all be gone when i get there, because we have a large over 65 community and i am afraid they will all get them first!!! i can't decide what to do- schuyler will nap from 1ish to 3ish, but the clinic starts at 3 (and SAYS it goes until 7pm... but i am sure they will run out!) i kinda want to get there at 2pm to be sure i am in line! but maybe there won't be a rush??? oh, i can't decide and i don't want to mess up and miss out!! (my OB had NONE this year.) and i don't want to wake schuyler, but i can't think of who could babysit... ooooooooh!! maybe i just thought of someone who owes me a favor!!!!!!!!!!

i am so nutso...

(but i had the flu last year and i just CAN'T handle it this year. and i don't want to miss the holiday season again!!!!!!!)

DDowning
10-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Umm, if you do decide to get one, keep in mind here most over 65 got in line by 4:30 a.m. for a 3pm shot. If you live in a high senior population area be prepared for that!

psophia17
10-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Since it's being held by your church, maybe you could call them ahead of time and ask about one being held for you? And although seniors get in line early, if it's a collection of grandma/grandpa types, they might even let you to the front of the line if you're toting your kids with you...

Wishful thinking, probably, but maybe?

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

tina-t
10-21-2004, 12:46 PM
You are high risk since you are pregnant. I don't have any advice on how to plan for going to the church for your flu shot. I know that the seniors do wake up early and fall in line really early for this. Saw this in our news, where they featured 2 flu shot clinics wherein people were in line as early as 2 am! Hopefully, you can find somebody to babysit for you.

bjiang
10-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Most OB/GYNs will give flu shots to pregnant patients at the office while supply lasts. I got mine at my last appointment. That's also where I got my flu shots during my first pregnancy. Have you called your OB/GYN? It would be much easier than waiting in line at the church.

KrisM
10-21-2004, 01:42 PM
I'd at least call the church and see how many doses they'll have. Who knows, maybe they'll have a lot, so you could get there later and not have a big line.

Otherwise, I don't know. Around here, people are lining up in the middle of the night for flu shots. I'm almost glad none of my family can get one. It takes the pressure off.

Good luck.

lizajane
10-21-2004, 02:59 PM
my OB didn't get a single dose this year. :( i was very upset.

lizajane
10-21-2004, 03:01 PM
but this isn't a public thing- it is for church members. so no one was there at 4:30am. in fact, i was there at 12:30 to pick schuyler up from preschool, and no one was there yet. so maybe there is hope.

by the way, it isn't that i want to take one away from the seniors! i feel terribly guilty for being so desperate to get one. but i have to remind myself that my newborn will be exposed to me, to my toddler and to my husband and if he (new baby) gets it, it could be life threatening to him. schuyler has already had one dose, and will get the other half next week from his ped.

KrisM
10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
So, did you get it?

StaceyKim
10-24-2004, 12:01 AM
good luck! i hope you get it! i waited at costco for over 4 hours to get my flu shot. there were 600 people there before me and i got there 1 hour before they opened. luckily they gave out tickets so you didn't have to wait in an actual line.

lizajane
10-24-2004, 04:04 PM
I GOT IT!!! YAY!!!

i stood/sat in line for THREE hours WITH schuyler. there were some 3 year olds to play with for a little while. and the seniors were a big help, too. they ALL knew his name by the time we left. he would try to take off down the hall and some random person i never met would grab him and tickle him so he couldn't get by. it was very helpful. a man (i had met) sat and read him a story for a good 20 minutes.

and finally, at the very front of the line, schuyler started SCREAMING and writhing, so about 10 people let me go ahead of them. (we have little tickets, so we knew we would all get one.)

when the nice lady saw my $20 bill, so asked if i had insurance. and i told her i did, but they didn't accept my kind. but i politely explained that i was NOT AT ALL concerned about my $20. (holy cow, at that point, i would have given her $50!!!)