PDA

View Full Version : What non-lullaby lullaby do you sing to DC?

lisaE
11-07-2004, 08:04 PM
What do you sing as a lullaby that's not really a lullaby? I am trying to expand my repertoire!

I sing:
I'm only sleeping by the Beatles
I'll follow the sun by the Beatles
Slip-sliding away by Paul Simon
Operator by Jim Croce
Time for me to fly by REO Speedwagon

What a funny list, now that I look at it! I love to sing and don't know many traditional lullabys. I suppose I also want to expose Connor to "my kind of music" before DH corrupts him with his horrible taste in music!

Anyone else?

lisaE
11-07-2004, 08:04 PM
What do you sing as a lullaby that's not really a lullaby? I am trying to expand my repertoire!

I sing:
I'm only sleeping by the Beatles
I'll follow the sun by the Beatles
Slip-sliding away by Paul Simon
Operator by Jim Croce
Time for me to fly by REO Speedwagon

What a funny list, now that I look at it! I love to sing and don't know many traditional lullabys. I suppose I also want to expose Connor to "my kind of music" before DH corrupts him with his horrible taste in music!

Anyone else?

Saartje
11-07-2004, 08:12 PM
I've posted most of this list before:

The Black Velvet Band (traditional)
Waltzing Matilda (traditional)
Happy That You're Here (by Trout Fishing in America)

Saartje
11-07-2004, 08:12 PM
I've posted most of this list before:

The Black Velvet Band (traditional)
Waltzing Matilda (traditional)
Happy That You're Here (by Trout Fishing in America)

candybomiller
11-07-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm strictly a traditional lullaby type of girl, but I have to laugh at your DH with his horrible taste in music. My DH is a HUGE Pet Shop Boys fan and has already threatened to expose Matt to their influence. LOL.

And, before someone takes offense, I have no issues with PSB, it's just that DH is SO into them. I have to make fun of him for it. And,now that I think about it, it's not just PSB. It's pretty much any British gay group. Sometimes I'm convinced that DH is gay! :)

candybomiller
11-07-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm strictly a traditional lullaby type of girl, but I have to laugh at your DH with his horrible taste in music. My DH is a HUGE Pet Shop Boys fan and has already threatened to expose Matt to their influence. LOL.

And, before someone takes offense, I have no issues with PSB, it's just that DH is SO into them. I have to make fun of him for it. And,now that I think about it, it's not just PSB. It's pretty much any British gay group. Sometimes I'm convinced that DH is gay! :)

alleyoop
11-07-2004, 08:55 PM
I might be really dating myself... but I sing the Lawrence Welk song to DS every night. Does that count as non-traditional? ;)

alleyoop
11-07-2004, 08:55 PM
I might be really dating myself... but I sing the Lawrence Welk song to DS every night. Does that count as non-traditional? ;)

Judegirl
11-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Well, I can't sing them at bedtime anymore, but when they worked, I sang:

Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis
Beautiful Boy - John Lennon
Dear Prudence (which I make "Dear Riordan" :)) - The Beatles
(I Want To Sing You) A Love Song - Anne Murray
My Ain True Love - Allison Kraus

Before she was born, I made a cd for her of songs I wanted her to have, and hear, from me to her. Once she was born, she hated one of them, so I edited it - LOL - so I sing her lots of songs, but those are the ones that worked at bedtime.

Now she gets too excited when I sing to her, so it's a daytime thing.

Jude

Judegirl
Well, I can't sing them at bedtime anymore, but when they worked, I sang:

Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis
Beautiful Boy - John Lennon
Dear Prudence (which I make "Dear Riordan" :)) - The Beatles
(I Want To Sing You) A Love Song - Anne Murray
My Ain True Love - Allison Kraus

Before she was born, I made a cd for her of songs I wanted her to have, and hear, from me to her. Once she was born, she hated one of them, so I edited it - LOL - so I sing her lots of songs, but those are the ones that worked at bedtime.

Now she gets too excited when I sing to her, so it's a daytime thing.

Jude

lisaE
Um, Candy, are we married to the same man? DH also loves the Pet Shop Boys. Also, Erasure, the Smiths and Morrisey, etc. He is currently a HUGE techno/ trance fan and that kind of music makes me want to pull my ears clean off!

lisaE
Um, Candy, are we married to the same man? DH also loves the Pet Shop Boys. Also, Erasure, the Smiths and Morrisey, etc. He is currently a HUGE techno/ trance fan and that kind of music makes me want to pull my ears clean off!

dowlinal
11-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Tom Jones .. I know how funny that sounds but I used to listen to his CD when I was pregnant and then when she was 1 week old we accidently discovered that Madeline would stop crying whenever she heard either "What's New Pussycat?" or "She's a Lady." So I sing both to her but the later I've changed to "She's a baby". In fact last night at 2 am the only thing that calmed by teething baby was What's New Pussycat.

DH was so sweet. For Mother's Day he gave me tickets to see Tom Jones in Atlantic City from Madeline.

dowlinal
11-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Tom Jones .. I know how funny that sounds but I used to listen to his CD when I was pregnant and then when she was 1 week old we accidently discovered that Madeline would stop crying whenever she heard either "What's New Pussycat?" or "She's a Lady." So I sing both to her but the later I've changed to "She's a baby". In fact last night at 2 am the only thing that calmed by teething baby was What's New Pussycat.

DH was so sweet. For Mother's Day he gave me tickets to see Tom Jones in Atlantic City from Madeline.

candybomiller
11-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Lisa,

Yep. We're married to the same guy. Hope he at least bought YOU a present for giving birth! LOL.

candybomiller
11-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Lisa,

Yep. We're married to the same guy. Hope he at least bought YOU a present for giving birth! LOL.

redhookmom
11-07-2004, 10:09 PM
My dh sings a Dave Matthews' song but only this part:
"Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock
and sweet you roll
Lost for you I'm so lost for you"

redhookmom
11-07-2004, 10:09 PM
My dh sings a Dave Matthews' song but only this part:
"Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock
and sweet you roll
Lost for you I'm so lost for you"

lmintzer
11-07-2004, 10:42 PM
We sing "All Right for Now" by Tom Petty to Jack at night. This one has been part of our bedtime routine for years--literally. The words are sweet and the melody simple, so it appeals to young children.

Goodnight baby
Sleep tight my love.
Let God watch over you from above.

Tomorrow I'm working
What would I do?
I'd be lost and lonely
If not for you (we sing "without Jack-roo").

So close your eyes
We're all right for now.

I've spent my life traveling.
Spent my life free
I could not repay what you've done for me.

So sleep tight, baby
Unfurrow your brow.
And know I love you
We're all right for now.
We're all right for now.

I also like Paul Simon's "Born at the Right Time" --not really a lullaby, but a nice song.

Oh, one more of my favorite's: Neil Young's "Comes a Time".

The chorus just reminds me of how a child sees the world:

"Ohhh, this whole world keeps spinnin' round
It's a wonder tall trees ain't laying down
Comes a time, comes a time"

HTH. DH is big on exposing Jack (and Joshua) to lots of different kinds of adult music. It's really worked. Jack loves a lot of varied adult music. It's tons of fun.

lmintzer
11-07-2004, 10:42 PM
We sing "All Right for Now" by Tom Petty to Jack at night. This one has been part of our bedtime routine for years--literally. The words are sweet and the melody simple, so it appeals to young children.

Goodnight baby
Sleep tight my love.
Let God watch over you from above.

Tomorrow I'm working
What would I do?
I'd be lost and lonely
If not for you (we sing "without Jack-roo").

So close your eyes
We're all right for now.

I've spent my life traveling.
Spent my life free
I could not repay what you've done for me.

So sleep tight, baby
Unfurrow your brow.
And know I love you
We're all right for now.
We're all right for now.

I also like Paul Simon's "Born at the Right Time" --not really a lullaby, but a nice song.

Oh, one more of my favorite's: Neil Young's "Comes a Time".

The chorus just reminds me of how a child sees the world:

"Ohhh, this whole world keeps spinnin' round
It's a wonder tall trees ain't laying down
Comes a time, comes a time"

HTH. DH is big on exposing Jack (and Joshua) to lots of different kinds of adult music. It's really worked. Jack loves a lot of varied adult music. It's tons of fun.

mclianne
11-07-2004, 10:51 PM
You are my sunshine (Used to be the surefire smile producer for photos)
Let me call you sweetheart

to stop the fussing, Signing Time theme!

mclianne
11-07-2004, 10:51 PM
You are my sunshine (Used to be the surefire smile producer for photos)
Let me call you sweetheart

to stop the fussing, Signing Time theme!

Jeanne
11-07-2004, 11:26 PM
I'm laughing with you Heather! My oldest cannot get enough of that show! So now we have to sing that song every night.

Jeanne
11-07-2004, 11:26 PM
I'm laughing with you Heather! My oldest cannot get enough of that show! So now we have to sing that song every night.

flagger
11-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters - Elton John
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails, but she prefers the Johnny Cash version
Tainted Love- Marilyn Manson

flagger
11-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters - Elton John
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails, but she prefers the Johnny Cash version
Tainted Love- Marilyn Manson

Jeanne
11-07-2004, 11:30 PM
I sing The Rose to Claire every night.

Also:

Tupelo Honey
Circle Game
Let Me Call You Sweetheart
Rainbow Connection
Falling in Love Again
Love Me Tender

Jeanne
11-07-2004, 11:30 PM
I sing The Rose to Claire every night.

Also:

Tupelo Honey
Circle Game
Let Me Call You Sweetheart
Rainbow Connection
Falling in Love Again
Love Me Tender

lisaE
11-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone! Definitely some good ones I need to learn.

lmintzer
11-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Jessica,
Our big buy likes Dave Matthews too. He really likes "Satelite".

egoldber
11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Sarah's lullaby CD is a CD of songs that are not traditional lullabies. The first song on it is "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor and it is her true "lullaby" that will calm her and put her to sleep when most other things fail. She call is the "cowboy song" LOL.

At bedtime we sing three songs:

Sweet Baby James
The Mommy Song (a song I made up)
a snippet from "The People In Your Neighborhood" (the Sesame Street Song, but she think its from Mr Rogers for some reason)

Jen841
11-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Hey Jude (everyone sings this to him!)

Teddy Bear names Freddy Bear- Ralph's World- magical song for Jude!!!

My friend's trick was singing the alphabet song to her daughter when she fussed and it worked.

We also have a family lullaby I sing

The sad thing is my singing helps him, and I am horrible!

MamaKath
11-08-2004, 01:43 PM
*Stay Awake from Mary Poppins
*Amazing Grace to the tune of Jesus loves me or the regular tune
*Any Christmas Carol, but my kids personal favorite is Silent Night in German

Occassionally we throw some others in, but those are the big favorites, lol.

amp
11-08-2004, 02:32 PM
I've been known to sing "Goodnight Sweetheart" to DS on occasion, but the one that is absolutely not a lullaby but has been the ONLY song EVER to calm DS in the car or at night if he wakes crying is "Old MacDonald". Obviously, we just have to sing it more softly. I guess it's the monotony of the song. It has worked wonders!

I've also just made up songs when needed, but I never really remember them later.

casey118
11-08-2004, 04:17 PM
I love the new ideas! Of course, I'll probably never remember them when I need them. I sing:
You are my sunshine (my mom sang this to me)
You've got a friend (James Taylor)
Baby baby (Amy Grant)

memedee
11-08-2004, 06:27 PM
"It Had To Be You"
Love that song!

bostonsmama
11-08-2004, 08:54 PM
I used to sing to the children I nannied for, and now I sing to my dog (my husband is very jealous...he wishes I would sing for him, but that's just weird). I can't wait until I can sing my own children lullabyes. Currently, I love to sing the Mary Poppins "Stay Awake" song. And my new favorite is "I can sing a Rainbow."
I heard a beautiful version on a TV ad for Australia tourism by (what sounded like) Kylie Minogue.

Lyrics:
Red and yellow and pink and green
Purple and orange and blue
I can sing a rainbow,
sing a rainbow,
sing a rainbow too.

Listen with your eyes,
Listen with your ears,
and sing everything you see,
I can sing a rainbow,
sing a rainbow,
sing along with me.

Red and yellow and pink and green,
Purple and orange and blue,
I can sing a rainbow,
sing a rainbow,
now you can, too!

barbarhow
11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh Jack loves his music. Lately, though, he wants to dance when he hears it. He will dance to anything-classical to rock to opera. My boy loves music.
When he was an infant I would sing Edelweis from the Sound of Music. It was a guarantee to stop fussing. So much so that my husband had me write out the lyrics and post them so he could sing them. Then a copy went to MIL, etc....
Most mornings I wake him up to a song from Hair-Good morning starshine, the earth says hello. I can't remember all the words but its a sweet song.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

luvbeinmama
11-09-2004, 12:50 AM
I usually just hum, but...

Pop Goes the Weasel (very smoothed out) was what I used with DS every night.

Sing Hallelujah to the Lord is what I use with DD.

Sarah1
11-09-2004, 08:14 AM
"Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper...weird, huh? For some reason, I started singing that to DD when she was only a few weeks old. I love my 80s music. :)

Misha412
11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Oh my God -- Gavin LOVES "What's New Pussycat?" -- especially the "whoa, a-whoa, whoa" part!

I have sung John Denver's "For Baby (For Bobbie)" to him every night for almost a year now...still sends him off to sleepyland when nothing else seems to work.

I値l walk in the rain by your side,
I値l cling to the warmth of your tiny hand.
I値l do anything to keep you satisfied,
I値l love you more than anybody can.

And the wind will whisper your name to me,
Little birds will sing along in time.
Leaves will bow down when you walk by and morning bells will chime.

I値l be there when you池e feeling down,
To kiss away the tears that you cry.
I値l share with you all the happiness I致e found,
A reflection of the love in your eyes.

And I値l sing you the songs of the rainbow,
A whisper of the joy that is mine.
Leaves will bow down when you walk by and morning bells will chime.

Michele
Mommy to Gavin, 12/4/03