PDA

View Full Version : nevermind forget it

flagger
11-07-2004, 11:14 PM
I read through the other comments in the other thread, but have never read something so ugly as what was written as someone's "perception" of what I look like. Just because I have a strong personality and opinion on issues, doesn't mean I resemble a fictional character made up through the use of extensive make-up.

I am sorry for even starting this thread nor sharing my picture for those who had not seen what I look like before.

flagger
11-07-2004, 11:14 PM
I read through the other comments in the other thread, but have never read something so ugly as what was written as someone's "perception" of what I look like. Just because I have a strong personality and opinion on issues, doesn't mean I resemble a fictional character made up through the use of extensive make-up.

I am sorry for even starting this thread nor sharing my picture for those who had not seen what I look like before.

candybomiller
11-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Flagger,

I have to say that I pictured you looking more like the guy who plays Snape in the HP movies. I can't think of his name. Something like Alan Ricks (?).

Geez, it turns out that you're downright normal! :P

candybomiller
11-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Flagger,

I have to say that I pictured you looking more like the guy who plays Snape in the HP movies. I can't think of his name. Something like Alan Ricks (?).

Geez, it turns out that you're downright normal! :P

redhookmom
11-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Flagger,

I have pictured few parents here in my mind. But, I always have thought that you must look like Raymond from Everyone Loves...

redhookmom
11-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Flagger,

I have pictured few parents here in my mind. But, I always have thought that you must look like Raymond from Everyone Loves...

bluej
11-08-2004, 06:11 AM
I have no recent pictures at all. And none of just me. Mostly me in the background of a picture of one of the kids. I think over Christmas I'll go around and say 'hey, take a picture of me!' to everyone who has a camera! I'm sure they'll all think I'm crazy!

Anyway, everyone in the other thread, and Flagger in this thread, looks great! I really noticed that everyone looks happy. Genuinely (spelling?) happy! No phony smiles on anyone. I think that's great!

sbjf
11-08-2004, 07:37 AM
What a great pic! Love the background, too, wow. Flagger, I pictured your hair color the same, but everything else is different. I thought you had floppy hair and glasses. :-) Very handsome!

I'll try to find a normal pic of me to post under this thread.

sbjf
11-08-2004, 07:44 AM
I'm on the far right, in the red shirt, holding John. This was taken at the Atlanta Underground about 3 weeks ago or so. The pony tail is my usual look nowadays.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16675.jpg

mudder17
11-08-2004, 08:07 AM
Well, I've seen a picture of you from your Alaska pics, but I will say that before I saw a picture of you, I was picture a nerdy, skinny guy with glasses and sandy hair. No freckles though. But at the same time I was picturing a normal "Dad" type figure who takes their kid to the park, etc. Obviously, the second view was closer to the truth! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

StaceyKim
11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
here is a picture of DS and me (i was pg with DD)

attached is a picture of the three of us.
i don't know how to make these pictures smaller! sorry

eta: deleted photos, too big

Marisa6826
11-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Stace-

What great pictures and the three of you have the most beautiful eyes! Stunning!

-m

Judegirl
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Alan Rickman?

MommytoDylan
11-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Sorry for the attachments! I don't know how to make the picture appear in the text.

The first picture is Dylan and I at the Fair this summer. He loved sitting on a tractor!

The second is my husband, Tim, and me on an anniversary trip this summer.

Meredith

MamaKath
11-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Everyone looks so great! It is intersting to me that people I pegged as definitely blondes are brunette, bunch of people I pictured with curly hair have straight, some of you are so much younger or older than in my head. I could go on and on! Funny isn't it?

This spurred me on to update my family's website as well. All those pics my family hardly gets to see. So I finally started working on that. I put a ton of pics of the kids up, and a couple of me and dh. http://pages.ivillage.com/uscpwife/index.html

Also, I see I am not the only one having resizing issues when posting pictures here. What can I do to make that work better?

jesseandgrace
11-08-2004, 01:20 PM
So funny!

mudder17
11-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Everyone looks great! Okay, a couple things about pictures to help people out:

When resizing a picture, you want to do it before you upload it into your post. If you've already uploaded it, then you'll need to delete them and reupload the resized pictures.

Open up your picture using your usual picture editor. My computer came with Microsoft Picture Editor, but you can also use any of the Adobe Photoshop programs. Open the picture up and somewhere there will be a menu where you can resize the image. If you can't find that option, go into the help menu and type "resize" and it should tell you where to look. You can probably resize the image to 640x480 (or 480x640).

If you want your picture to show up in your post, when you upload it, click on the little box that says, "Click this box if you wish to embed...." After you load up the picture, if you look at the bottom of your post, you'll notice a URL for the picture. Your picture will show up. You can cut and paste the URL anywhere in your post.

Oh, one more thing--I notice that some of you upload a picture, but the program treats it as text. Some people can still see it with their browser, but for some reason, it doesn't show up on mine. Anyway, when you upload the picture, make sure you click on the button that says it's a .jpg or .gif, etc.

I hope this helps someone.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

memedee
11-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Deleted

jd11365
11-08-2004, 02:52 PM
I can't believe how different everyone looks than what I've always pictured...

Here I am with Kayla on Halloween at a friend's house... I was trying to get Kayla to smile, so I have some cheesy look on my face. It's the only picture of me all year, outside of the retreat which you've already seen, since I'm always the photographer too!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16696.jpg

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

candybomiller
11-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Wow, Ok so I know this is directed towards me. I honestly didn't mean anything negative by that. I just pictured you long and lanky with dark hair. Perhaps the reference I used wasn't to your liking, but in no way shape or form was it meant to insult you. I know a LOT of people who think that Alan Rickman is sexy. I was trying to compare my imagined "you" to him, not Snape.

I'm sorry you took what I said the wrong way.

ETA: I just re-read what I wrote and I didn't say anything wrong. I said I thought you looked like the guy who PLAYED Snape. Sometimes I think that you are just looking for things to take offense over. I've managed to stay out of your path until now, but I guess it's just my turn.

MartiesMom2B
11-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Dori:

I love your hair color and you look way too young to be a grandma!

-Sonia

missmelis01
11-08-2004, 03:42 PM
I hope it's still ok to post pictures. :-)

DH and me this past summer.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16699.jpg

jasabo
11-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Who are Alan Rickman and Snape? I haven't heard of them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that everyone looks great! It's such fun looking at all these pix!!

Lisa - mom to 17 month old twin boys and who needs to figure out how to post pix to this site :)

ddmarsh
11-08-2004, 04:51 PM
"I just re-read what I wrote and I didn't say anything wrong."

ITA.

kijip
11-08-2004, 05:01 PM
I think Alan Rickman is a REALLY sexy guy! I don't think that that would be a bad way to look at all. I am sure that the poster meant nothing by it.

I also think that you, Flagger, are a kind and friendly looking daddy! What a cutie Cocoa is...I am sorry that this post was unhappy for you. Mrs. Flagger is a lucky lady with fine looking family. I can never guess what anyone looks like so I try to avoid making images without a picture. But it is easy to start making images based on posts without even thinking about it.

psophia17
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
I just thought I'd pipe up with my opinion on the "what do you look like" threads that have been going around lately. I didn't want to post, and haven't looked at more than 3 or so pictures, just because I have pictures in my head of what everyone looks like. While I can't say that I have Flagger pictured as Alan Rickman (either as Prof. Snape or anyone else - FWIW I think he's pretty sexy for an older man), I do have my own idea of what he looks like.

This is one of the reasons that I never like the movie version of a great book - the characters don't look like I think they should.

I hope that Flagger, and anyone else who was upset or hurt by comments about their actual or imagined appearance, can give those who made comments the benefit of the doubt that no one intended to be insulting or hurtful in any way.

Judegirl
11-08-2004, 05:34 PM
ETA: This is out of context now, because flaggger changed the name of the thread to complain about the Alan Rickman post...perhaps this belongs on Candy's follow-up thread, then..but I think Alan Rickman's hot. And he's not wearing much makeup in the HP films. (But I think he's hot even as Snape. Maybe especially as Snape. LOL)

flagger
11-08-2004, 05:58 PM
>Wow, Ok so I know this is directed towards me. I honestly
>didn't mean anything negative by that.

It was not about what you said. It was about the fact that in the other thread the comments have been very supportive of the pictures posted and the very first comment and then a follow-up compare yours truly to a vision of rather curmudgeonly characters. Hardly supportive in the least especially in comparison to comments in the now much too long thread.

I think I am the one who is going to take a break from the boards for a while.

memedee
11-08-2004, 05:59 PM
THANX!!!

wagner36
11-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Oh Jamie - I LOVE this picture! I was in the worst mood, too, and now I'm much happier. You two look so cute! I should've dressed up with Charlie....

sbjf
11-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Candy, I didn't think you were trying to be hurtful, of course you wouldn't intentionally do that, you're a great person! But you know you did write something to the effect of 'wow, you do look normal', which although could have been taken to be comical (and it sounds like that's how you intended it), it was taken seriously and someone's feelings were hurt by it. Whether he was just having a sensitive day or whatever is not important; I know I have had days like that myself where a comment like that may have hurt me, too.

I guess I'm just saying that even though you may feel you didn't say anything hurtful (or wrong) the fact is the person you were directing your comments to was hurt by it.

jesseandgrace
11-08-2004, 07:33 PM
I agree that he is totally good looking, I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt though. I thought it was funny when I read it because it was amusing that someone pictured you so different from the way you look. NOT because I thought you were being insulted!

StaceyKim
11-08-2004, 09:19 PM
marisa,
you are too sweet! thanks for the compliments!

sbjf
11-08-2004, 10:18 PM
>I think I am the one who is going to take a break from the
>boards for a while.

I emailed you.

jasabo
11-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Flagger, I wish you wouldn't take a break. I can understand why you might not have liked that comment, even though I don't know who those guys are. I kind of wondered if something like this would happen with someone after reading all the "I thought you looked like..." comments. I'm probably better off not knowing what people think I look like (unless they think I look like Cindy Crawford :) ) b/c I'd be afraid of reading something that struck me the wrong way too.

I hope this is coming out right. My point is, I hope you'll stick around. I always enjoy reading your posts and admire your "strategery" ;)

Lisa - mom to 17 month old twin boys