PDA

View Full Version : Silver comb and brush set

cara1
11-08-2004, 03:09 AM
We got one of these as a gift. I'm not sure what to do with it. I mean, the $1.50 plastic brush I've been using has been working just fine... Is there any reason I should NOT try to find a way to return this?

ellies mom
11-08-2004, 04:30 AM
If you have daughter, I'd set it aside. She can use it during the princess stage. I was given a silver spoon. Totally useless, but sweet, so I put it in my cedar chest. DD won't remember that it never left the box, but she'll see it as something special later. If you had a son, then you can return it or set it aside for his children. My sister and I were just given stuff from our Grandmother, completely not our style, so into the chest it goes waiting for the next generation.

cuca_
11-08-2004, 07:59 AM
I would not return it. I would use it for your baby and then put it aside for the future. When DD was born my mom gave me a silver rattle that I had used as a baby. I loved the fact that DD was playing with something that I played with as a baby. Hopefully, she will be able to pass it down to her children some day. I just love family things, they hold so much meaning. THe silver brush will last for generations to come, while the plastic one probably won't.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
#2 expected in May 2005!

TonFirst
11-08-2004, 08:54 AM
FWIW, the silver hairbrush that I received as an infant is currently sitting on top of my baby's dresser in the nursery. Did my mother use it for my hair? Nope. Will I use it for my baby? Not likely. Is it lovely and special and will it continue to be an heirloom? Definitely.

I'd keep it, but I'm sentimental like that - the silver brush shares space with a music box that was in my husband's nursery, and a wooden rabbit that was in mine.