PDA

View Full Version : December birthday mommas and poppas check in!

aguinn
11-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Are you a Christmas baby? I was born on the 24th and have always hated it - never able to have a sleepover on my birthday and always got one b'day/xmas present from some people - that would drive me nuts!

What are your birthday woes?

;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Weaned @ 13 months

papal
11-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Dec 20th here. Too close to christmas.. tendency for people to say 'here is your birthday AND christmas present'... heehee. Actually i love it.. i feel like the lights and excitement is all for ME ME ME! :)

jbowman
11-08-2004, 08:27 AM
My twin sister and I were born on December 14. I have always loved it! Spirits are high and everyone is in a festive mood! Plus several of my closest friends share my birthday, which is always fun!

I actually liked being able to combine Christmas & birthday gifts. That way, I could get extra *kool* things.

The only downside for me has been that my birthday is ALWAYS during finals week--first when I was in college and now that I'm a prof! I'm always really busy, LOL!

Ellie is a December baby too. Her birthday is 6 days before mine! I'm so glad that she's part of the "December baby club!"

Marisa6826
11-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Well, Sophie is December 10th and Amelia will be December 3rd.

I know that in reality, we will probably do one big birthday party for both of them (with friends), but hopefully, it's far enough from Christmas that they won't feel "jipped". ;)

-m

mmaimp
11-08-2004, 09:41 AM
I’m December 31st. Great birthday for an adult but not so great for a child. I could never bring cupcakes to school or have a kid party because of the time of the year yet no pool party either. Though now there is always a party going on and DH is terrific about my birthday and we always celebrate with cake and a special meal just for me.

The only thing I would like is to have the gifts spilt up a bit. I have a great winter wardrobe and get nice things but only one time a year. DH’s birthday is December 3rd so we have a busy month.

I hope this baby makes it till at least January 10th so I have a little time before another celebration!

cinrein
11-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Mine is the 12th. I hated that my gift receiving events weren't spread out more throughout the year. Still, growing up it seemed like we didn't start celebrating Christmas so early so my birthday was more of a separate event. We did always put up the tree on my birthday cuz I love it so. Now I love having a December birthday---everything is so festive!

DH's birthday is the 25th. He pretty much is used to never having a birthday and is fine with it. I've tried to surprise him over the years, but it's so hard. His sister always makes a cake for him that says Happy Birthday Mark and Jesus. (I hope that doesn't offend anyone, it's kind of a family joke.)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

lukkykatt
11-08-2004, 10:24 AM
DS' birthday is just a few days after Christmas. It is very hard on ME, but right now doesn't bother him in the least :) I have really tried to make his bday special and make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

We bring cupcakes to school when it opens again in Jan. The hardest part on me is doing the shopping for bday/Christmas gifts, and food shopping for Christmas Eve/Christmas AND his bday party all at the same time. I have tried having his party earlier, later - it doesn't seem to matter - it is very hard logistically. But I always tell him that he was my best Christmas present ever, and that is what is really important!

PS: I was worried that people would just give him one gift and he would be sad or feel left out on his birthday. Just the opposite has happened and he gets way too much (I try to put away some of the things he has gotten and save them for later, but this has gotten harder as he is older).

aguinn
11-08-2004, 10:31 AM
My brother's b'day is the 17th, which made things even more confusing in our house growing up. I, too, enjoy all the festivity and decoration, and used to think it was all for me, but now that I'm the one who has to do all the decorating, it's too much like work! ;)

I was always jealous of those people who got to have Christmas and then have their birthday pool party in the summer - it was so foreign to me as a kid.

;)amy
proud momma to DS

zuzu
11-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Ellie and I share a birthday! :) Some years I was happy with a December birthday, other years I wanted something in the middle of the year. Sarah came in May, so that helps spread out the celebrations a bit.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

jbowman
11-08-2004, 10:34 AM
In the summer we always had big pool parties for no reason. Additionally my sisters and I initiated "Kid's Day" in response to Mother's/Father's Day." Very enterprising (read: spoiled brats) we were, LOL!

searchdog
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
I was born on Dec 28th and also have always hated it. I hate when people give a combined gift. I have always thought if my birthday was in June would you tell me in december at christmas oh yeah this is for you birthday also. But my number one thing I hate is getting a birthday gift wrapped in xmas wrapping paper. You would not do this if my birthday was any other month. I do have to say that my mom always made a big deal about my b-day. She would always have the xmas tree and decorations put away just for me so that my birthday would be special. She doesn't do combo gifts and always uses b-day wrapping paper. My other complaint is people always want to give just cash or a gift certificate because they are all shopped out from christmas and forgot to get a b-day gift.

Joshuasmommy
11-08-2004, 11:44 AM
My birthday is December 16 and I always loved it. I love Christmas so it is just a bonus that I get to celebrate my birthday in the same month. And since my mom was already shopping for Christmas she always seemed to get me a little extra, gotta love that Christmas spirit. My moms birthday is on Halloween so it could be that she tried extra hard to make it special since she knows what it is like to share your birthday with a major holiday.

bcafe
11-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I am on Dec. 16, DH is Dec. 13, and DD # 2 is on MINE! Dec. 16th. Now, I have no problem with it being so close to Christmas, but when I was a kid...well, that kind of stunk.
Betsy

JElaineB
11-08-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm a New Year's Eve baby too! I hated it as a child. Less than a week after Christmas and always during winter break from school. I HATED getting combined Christmas/birthday presents and even worse was when my birthday presents were wrapped in Christmas paper! Can you tell I'm a little bitter?! :P Plus I made it for kindergarten cutoff by 12 hours and so I was always the youngest in my class - hated that too. It is much better as an adult birthday. I like getting to decide what we're doing (if anything!) for New Years Eve.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

wilelm
11-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Okay, I've been worrying about this. We have the same due date, although I have a scheduled c-section for Dec. 30. I was wondering if maybe, as he's older and knows what's going on, I should let Oliver pick a different date to celebrate his birthday, so he doesn't feel like he's missing out. I had a friend growing up who was born Feb. 29 (leap year), so her parents let her choose another birth date to celebrate. What do you think?

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
Oliver, due 01/17/05

mmaimp
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
In my state you had to be 5 by October 31st so I was always one of the oldest in my class but I think that helped me. I was a very shy child.

I agree about the wraping paper and combo gifts but I do like my birthday now!

mmaimp
11-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Congrats on your new edition. I think if you try to make the day special for Oliver the 30th is fine. I don't think a birthday is just about presents, you can make sure that it's his day. Have the same traditions from year to year and he will love his birthday no matter what day of the year it's celebrated.

smomom
11-08-2004, 01:35 PM
My birthday is Dec. 15. I have always loved being born in December. I think it's a wonderful time to have been brought into the world.

Happy early birthday to everyone!

jbowman
11-08-2004, 02:41 PM
>I think it's a wonderful time to have been brought
>into the world.

ITA, Dana. I remember feeling that way when Ellie was born last year! Everything seemed extra special b/c it was around Christmas. The ladies' auxiliary at our hospital gave all the December newborns giant "baby size" stockings as gifts. I thought it was so sweet.

hobey
11-08-2004, 02:59 PM
December 4 here which was just far enough away from Christmas that I didn't get very many combined gifts. My parents also didn't put up the decorations until after my b-day had passed.

My entire family are December babies with DS on the 19th and DH on the 27th so December is a hopping month.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

twinmama
11-08-2004, 03:13 PM
December 18th here. I alternate years: some years I hate Christmas, some years I hate my b-day. :P I always hated the joint b-day/xmas gifts and I hated getting money for my b-day because I always used it to buy other people holiday gifts, whereas my sister somehow managed to wrangle money out of my parents so she didn't have to spend her own (can you believe I'm still bitter about this?!? lol).

Lisa
mom to 16 month old twinkies

toomanystrollers
11-08-2004, 03:30 PM
December 22nd here and I've been getting jipped for years!!!! But it is pretty cool having Santa show up for your birthday party :)

newbelly2002
11-08-2004, 03:31 PM
I think it's a pretty good day as it's my b0day too.

Growing up in NE my parties were always cancelled because of snow. As an adult we were always traveling to get somewhere for New Year's Eve on my day. Then a few years back, I explained my bitterness with years of having to suffer people being too "holidayed out" to help me celebrate to my DH, and the day is now sacred :)

I think the day is what you make it. My parents made a point to always give separate gifts and recognize the day as something other than a Christmas afterthought and a fore-runner for New Years. Then again, maybe they were trying to make up for their very first parental decision. They were told they would have to select a day between Dec 29 and Jan 2 for my induction.

They choose the 30th so I could be a tax deduction.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

JLiebCamm
11-08-2004, 07:52 PM
My birthday is December 18, my mom's is December 22, and Nate's is December 20. I never minded my B-Day until college, when we were in the midle of finals or already home for winter break by the time the 18th rolled around. I hate the combo B-Day/Christmas gifts too.

marinkitty
11-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Mine is the 17th. Growing up I hated my near-Christmas birthday. Hated that no one was excited for my party or that I had to delay it until January or it got lost in the Christmas festivities. Hated the Christmas paper-wrapped gifts, or the joint gifts, or the two-part with your Christmas gift gifts. Hated that my name was Holly and everyone every Christmas always made a big issue of "Oh, you were your parents Christmas present." Hated not being able to have fun outside birthday parties. I longed for a late spring or summer birthday. Gosh, I was sort of a self-absorbed kid!

Now, I actually like it. Fun time of year to celebrate and I don't care at all about the gift thing anymore.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

marinkitty
11-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Mine is the 17th. Growing up I hated my near-Christmas birthday. Hated that no one was excited for my party or that I had to delay it until January or it got lost in the Christmas festivities. Hated the Christmas paper-wrapped gifts, or the joint gifts, or the two-part with your Christmas gift gifts. Hated that my name was Holly and everyone every Christmas always made a big issue of "Oh, you were your parents Christmas present." Hated not being able to have fun outside birthday parties. I longed for a late spring or summer birthday. Gosh, I was sort of a self-absorbed kid!

Now, I actually like it. Fun time of year to celebrate and I don't care at all about the gift thing anymore.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

aguinn
11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
my mom did this, too - gotta love mom's who think of the little stuff!

;)amy
proud momma to DS

tarahsolazy
11-08-2004, 09:17 PM
My birthday is New Year's Eve. The present thing, of course, and as a kid, no Bday at school. No parties, becuase everyone's partied out. My parents were never home on my birthday. As a teen/young adult, it made that pressure to have tons of fun on NYE even worse. Although it doesn't sound this way, though, I never dwelt on these things much.

jubilee
11-09-2004, 03:44 AM
My birthday is December 15th, and it really was a mixed blessing. It was still early enough in December to bring cupcakes to school, vacation normally starts later in December. But I had one friend's parents tell me that I wouldn't get a birthday gift from them because "money is tight at Christmastime". Which is true of course, but as a child it made me feel bad. My parents NEVER would buy me a combo birthday-Christmas gift, even when I begged. My mom hated my birthday so close to Christmas, because what if someone gave me a birthday gift that was something she had already bought for me for Christmas?? And we always decorated the house for Christmas AFTER my birthday, but as an adult I always decorate way early. I am fine with my birthday when it is now, but I wish my oldest son's birthday wasn't in early January because he misses a lot of the same things we all mentioned in these messages about December.

tippy
11-10-2004, 12:56 AM
My bday is the 27th. One of my sisters is the 15th. DS's is Jan 8th. My biggest complaint growing up was trying to get kids to my house for a birthday party. School was always out and lots of people were away for the holidays/vacation. I told my dh about it and he finally "got it" when he tried planning a small suprise party for me before ds was born. He made like 30 phone calls and ended up getting 5 people to show up (one was my sister and one was his!). I just thing between Christmas/Chanaka and the upcomming newyear people are just "partied out" and "tapped out" when it comes to buying gifts. Oh well....I'm going to be the big 40 this Dec so I guess I'm used to it by now. I feel a bit sad for ds since his b-day is close enough to the holidays to possibly affect him. Last year 1/2 the people I invited to his party didn't show up because of the weather :-(

hellosmiletoday
11-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Mine is the 30th. When I was in school and college, it was nice because I was always off during my b-day. I ended up saving quite a bit of money over my childhood b/c after Christmas, I had run out of ideas!

As an adult its nice b/c often we spend a week with our families during the holidays (We visit or they come see us), which means that I can share my b-day with my parents :).

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

hellosmiletoday
11-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Mine is the 30th. When I was in school and college, it was nice because I was always off during my b-day. I ended up saving quite a bit of money over my childhood b/c after Christmas, I had run out of ideas!

As an adult its nice b/c often we spend a week with our families during the holidays (We visit or they come see us), which means that I can share my b-day with my parents :).

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04