PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner at your house?

redhookmom
11-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, I did it. I am officially my mother. I made a tuna noodle casserole and put in the fridge to bake later. It is my first tuna noodle and the first time I made dinner before 4pm!

What are you having?

UPDATE: The tuna noodle was a total bust. My dd picked the peas out and ate them. My ds balked after one very tiny bite. I tried and tried to get him to try some more but he wouldn't. They had bowls of cereal for dessert. My dh ate practically the whole thing. Oh well.

papal
11-08-2004, 01:04 PM
LOL. I am still cleaning up after lunch.. so dinner is the furthest thing from my mind. But after having the super yuckiest dinner ever (campbells chunky chicken and noodle soup.. i think something was wrong with it), i am dying for some yummy dinner. Looks like it will be some form of chicken because we are all out of veggies.

ETA: So we ended up having some Coconut Chicken Curry with bread. Yummm. Dh is making rice kheer (pudding) as we speak... mmmm... now if only it were Survivor night on tv.

bluej
11-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Steak and chicken fajitas and sweet corn cake.

C99
11-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Tonight? Fettucine alfredo (bacon, whipping cream, eggs) w/ peas thrown in.

rrosen
11-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Tonight is pork chops, asparagus, and roasted red potatoes.

I went to the grocery store this morning and tonight I will unveil my new dinner menu plan on my DH. We go through an annoying ritual every day. Before he leaves in the morning we review his schedule so I know approximately when he will be coming home. I then ask him what he would like to have for dinner so I can defrost anything that needs defrosting. He always says that he does not care. But, he does care and it drives me crazy!

So, I bought dinner options for every night this week and wrote them on a dry erase board on the fridge. Tonight he can look at his choices and determine the order that I cook them.

Wish me luck!

LucyG
11-08-2004, 01:19 PM
We're having a roast in the Crockpot with onions, carrots and potatoes. I'll make biscuits to go with it if I'm still feeling industrious at 5:30, and I'll probably steam some broccoli, since I don't think DD had any veggies to speak of over the weekend!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
20 months and counting!

jk3
11-08-2004, 01:22 PM
I liked tuna casserole when I was a child. My mother made it too. The recipe included Campbell's cream of mushroom soup. As an adult, I never eat tuna fish or mushrooms.

Tonight: marinated steak + salad, tomorrow night: marinated chicken + salad, Wednesday night: probably spaghetti + turkey meatballs.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

momma_boo
11-08-2004, 01:49 PM
I actually managed to get my act together somewhat and made dinner YESTERDAY. Cooked up a meatloaf last night that we'll have tonight with potato wedges (frozen) and salad. I think tomorrow night, I'm going to make chicken cutlets with black beans & rice (from a box) and I actually remembered to take the chicken breasts out of the freezer yesterday to defrost. I decided to give myself a break for Wednesday night and bought some frozen fish stick things.

Dinner is so hard, isn't it? By the time I pick up DD and get home, it's 5:45, so it's always a rush to get dinner on the table so we're not eating too late.

egoldber
11-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Well, DH is traveling so its just me and DD. I will be having a salmon caesar salad with asparagus. (The salmon is leftover from last night's dinner.) And something on the side, not sure what though, maybe brown rice? DD will not eat salad, so she will have salmon, aspargus and the rice.

MamaKath
11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Dinner, lol, please tell me I don't have to think of something already!!!

I am not sure. Monday is usually pizza night because Jerry's Subs and Pizza has $5 pizzas. However, that is probably not happening. Probably leftovers- I have meatballs, chicken legs (that I asked how to cook the other day, lol), and lots of veggies for salads and dipping. Probably make home-made applesauce this afternoon with the kids to eat for dinner tonight too. For dh I'll make chicken kiev since he gets home after the kiddos are asleep.

Fun thread!

Elilly
11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Steak, sweet potatoes, and salad. I really need to go to the grocery store!

candybomiller
11-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Probably burritos. Real quick and easy. I have a late class tonight so no "real" food for us!

kalebsmama
11-08-2004, 03:20 PM
LOL about being your mother! I gave my sister a card one year that said something like "another year older...another year closer to being like Mom!" It is so true! I do things all the time and think how much I'm like my mother. (which is ok, I don't mind!) We always called Mom the casserole queen, which made us the casserole princesses!!

Anyways, tonight is lasagne with bread and a salad. Have to see what veggie I can find in the freezer. Now, I'd better get started on that lasagne!!

ErinMC
11-08-2004, 03:36 PM
>I then ask him what he would like to have for
>dinner so I can defrost anything that needs defrosting. He
>always says that he does not care. But, he does care and it
>drives me crazy!

My DH does the same thing! Always says he doesn't care, but then when he gets home and there's something he doesn't want to eat, he acts like a little kid and says he's "not really hungry". Luckily it doesn't happen too often, but it drives me nuts when it happens!

We're having lasagna tonight, but it's easy, because I made an extra batch two weeks ago when I was making it, and popped it in the freezer. I transferred it to the fridge last night so it will be defrosted and ready to bake tonight. Voila!

cuca_
11-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Asparagus risotto, salad and bread. DH does not eat meat or chicken and will only eat fish ocassionally, so I have a very hard time coming up with dinner ideas.

Carmen
DD May 2003
#2 expected in May 2005!

lisaE
11-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Pan-fried pork chops. Yum, I am getting hungry reading this post.

Thatchermom
11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Bangers & mash (British bread sausage and mashed potatoes) with gravy and American peas. I've been thinking about it all day! My friend is due in a few days but my DS says baby Keegan is coming tomorrow (been dead set on that for a week!) so we are cooking a "last dinner."

mharling
11-08-2004, 06:51 PM
It's a 'Crap, I don't want to think about dinner' day. We were going to have a Mexican casserole, but don't have any beans. So instead, Lane is having a turkey meatball with red sauce, broccoli and pumpkin bread. I am going to have soup because I feel a little funky and dh is going to have filet leftover from last night. Maybe I'll be motivated to go to the store tomorrow so we can have casserole tomorrow night.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

mamagoosie
11-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Chicken Tikka Masala and rice. I found a sauce in the refrigerated section at Whole Foods. Just need to stir-fry some chicken and onions, throw in some peas. Should really have a salad, but forgot to pick up greens yesterday. Oh well, there's always halloween candy...

jbowman
11-08-2004, 07:08 PM
We're having muffalettas and salad!

hobey
11-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Baked Polenta with Meat Sauce for us tonight.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

tarahsolazy
11-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Black beans with turkey sausage and rice, and corn muffins, with mini carrots as the fall back vegetable

Tori_s mom
11-08-2004, 07:46 PM
We had Rashmi's Daal recipe with my spin on it. It's such an easy, yummy meal. Thx again, Rashmi, for posting the recipe!

Tasha

papal
11-08-2004, 07:59 PM
LOL. Tasha, I think you make it more often than we do. I am getting lazy. :)

marit
11-08-2004, 08:22 PM
You made me hungry! Please share your recipe...

barbarhow
11-08-2004, 08:28 PM
We had a practice run yesterday of Thanksgiving. We got a deep fryer and didn't want to inaugurate it on Thanksgiving in case we didn't do it right. Tonight we had leftovers. Turkey, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, apple stuffing, gravy, peas and salad. Jack threw all of his on the floor and ended up with a hotdog and yogurt.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

lmintzer
11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
It was Panera bread for us. I feel lazy, but it's not that. I've been sick since Thursday, and my kids are impossible around dinner time. No way to cook!

papal
11-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Ingredients:
One Large Onion (I used yellow but if you have red it is even better).
One inch cube of ginger (peeled)
4 cloves of garlic (peeled)
1-2 green chillies (if you have)
Bunch of cilatro (if you have).
1 Large Tomato, chopped up into small pieces
Chicken (I used frozen tenderloins)
One cap of Coconut Milk.

Prep:
Cut the onion in half (from top to bottom). Put one half in the food processor along with the ginger, garlic, green chillies and cilantro (washed first). Make it into a smooth paste.

The other half of the onion, cut into thin rings.. as thin as possible.

Take a large skillet/pan/whatever and heat. Add some oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan). When hot, if you have any of the following, add them. If not skip to next step.
1 Bay leaf
Half Cinnamon Stick
2-3 Green Cardamoms
1 Star Anise
3-4 cloves

After a couple of minutes, add the onion-ginger-garlic paste and the cut up onions. Fry on a low heat till everything is caramelized nicely. The oil will start to leave the sides of the onions...make sure to cook them well. You will need to stir quite a bit if you use a stick (as opposed to non-stick!) pot, like I do.

Once the onions are cooked, add the tomato pieces. Stir well. If you are using a stick pot/pan, scrape up all the brown stuff from the bottom of the pan.. that is the good stuff! :)

When the tomatoes are cooked down (about 7-8mins), add the chicken. I add frozen chicken tenderloins.. no need to defrost or anything.. if you have larger pieces of frozen chicken, then you would need to defrost them. Cook the chicken till the pieces are nice and brown.

At this point, you can add salt and eat it.
OR, you can add water and salt and boil and get a gravy like consistency.
OR, if you are feeling especially sinful, add a can of coconut milk and salt and boil.

Tastes yummy with rice or bread. Email me if you have any questions.
I know this sounds like it takes FOREVER, but it took me 5 mins of prep time and 20mins to cook (and I put Leela to bed at the same time!).
Enjoy!

kijip
11-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Crab cakes and salad with oranges.

Toby had salad, oranges, a little beef and whole wheat crackers since he can't eat crab yet.

slknight
11-08-2004, 10:13 PM
> I gave my sister a card one
>year that said something like "another year older...another
>year closer to being like Mom!" It is so true! I do things
>all the time and think how much I'm like my mother. (which is
>ok, I don't mind!)

LOL! I gave my sister the same card. :P

jubilee
11-09-2004, 03:15 AM
tonight we had breakfast for dinner- omelettes, pancakes, hasbrowns, bacon, fruit salad. We never eat a big breakfast in the morning, so it's a treat.

tomarrow is meatloaf, corn tomatilo,and mashed potatoes

You all sound like you're having wonderful dinners- I'd love to have a potluck!!!

newbelly2002
11-09-2004, 06:07 AM
Salmon with maple mustard sauce (less than 20 minutes start to finish), rosemary roasted potatoes and spinach with gorgonzola.

Rashmi, that curry looks delicious. Might have to tackle that one tonight!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

papal
11-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Paula,
Please could you share the salmon recipe... it sounds yummmmy.

papal
11-09-2004, 06:39 AM
At least the dh got to eat to his hearts content! So it was not a total bust! :)

papal
11-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Hey Julie.. what a great idea..dh loves breakfast too but I cannot get myself to eat a thing till 10.00a.. just the thought of food makes me feel squeamish. I think I will do a breakfast for dinner one of these days.. i am sure dh will love it!

newbelly2002
11-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Sure, Rashmi. Wish I could claim credit but it's from Epicurious.

You take skinless salmon fillet and saute it in a bit of oilve oil over medium heat. Total cooking time is about 6-9 minutes. Be careful not to overcook, you want it *just* past opaque. Take the salmon out and keep it warm in a foil-covered plate.

Cool the pan for about a minute (otherwise the sauce ingrediants will splatter). Then--no heat--add to the pan 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped, 1/4 cup of chopped scallions, a pinch of mustard seed (although you can do without these) and 2 tablespoons EACH of water, maple syrup, and dijon mustard. Whisk it altogether making sure to scrape up the yummy bits of salmon to the consistency of a thick barbeque sauce. Pour over the salmon and serve! (I love that it's all cooked in one pan too.)

One tip: if the sauce is too mustardy for Leela, you can always drizzle just a wee bit of straight maple syrup over her fish. Dante gobbled it up. Let me know how it goes!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

mudder17
11-09-2004, 08:28 AM
At the time you posted this, I had absolutely no idea and was concerned we might end up getting take out. But then 4:00 hit and I looked at my "Tell me what to cook" list of recipes (from the website: http://www.healthy-quick-meals.com/) and picked something with chicken. It turned out to be fantastic and only took me maybe 15 minutes to prepare (salsa, tomato paste, honey, cumin, chili powder). Yummers! DH really liked it too!

If you all haven't checked out this site, you should definitely do so. I haven't tried ALL the recipes, but so far everything I've tried has turned out quite good and they are all very easy recipes. Usually I spend less than 15 minutes preparing these dishes!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

tippy
11-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Jill,

What is a Muffaletta?

tippy
11-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Great thread. We didn't have dinner tonight. DS has been sick since yesterday, running a pretty high fever and no appetite. DH ate cereal for dinner and I just picked at some leftovers. Yesterday we had a quick and yummy chicken dish (chicken breasts cut into strips, coated with olive oil, dried minced onions, garlic powder, parsley and sprinkled with bread crumbs. Dotted with butter, baked for 10 minutes and then put under broiler for a minute to brown) Yummy. Served with mashed and peas.

Tomorrow is grilled chicken breasts marinated in Drews Rosmary Balsalmic dressing served in a salad with turkey bacon, avacado, romaine, red onion, tomatoe, red pepper and croutons, tossed with kens creamy ceasar cut with a bit of wine vinegar. Also yummy.