PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Lovey's - what does your DC use?

chlobo
11-08-2004, 07:42 PM
I'd like to get my DD a lovey but I'm not sure what to get her. I was thinking a really soft blanket (like I had) or something. Does anyone have anything they'd recommend.

Marisa6826
11-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Sophie has a little 12" blanket that has a little bunny head attached to the middle.

She technically has FOUR of these in case of emergency loss! ;)

The trick to a lovey is that YOU really can't pick it - your babe ultimately does! We did, however, "encourage" the bunny by giving to her every night.

She also has a small owl and small kitty cat that she now insists come to bed with her each night. God help us if THOSE get lost!

-m

hez
11-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Whatever it is, be sure you can get multiples (4-- WOW, Marisa!). DS uses a blanket he got from my FIL for Christmas. It came with a great gown/playsuit that DS has grown out of. When I looked up the blanket on the manuf's website it only comes in that combination, and only in one size-- I can't get just the blanket by itself. I'm thinking I may have to suck it up, buy the set and give away the gown/playsuit just to get a backup blanket!

toomanystrollers
11-08-2004, 09:00 PM
YUP - ITA w/Marissa. Neve has "Mr. Duckie" - a soft, velour duck that was given as a gift to her brother. Fortunately, he has no recollection of it :)

mudder17
11-08-2004, 09:15 PM
I think DD is still somewhat on the young side to get permanently attached to a lovey. However, I have put a stuffed lamb in her crib every night, and she'll immediately roll over these days and rest her head on it like a pillow. :) I don't have a duplicate because the lamb was a gift from my sister. However, I do have a bunny that is made of similar material, and I'll substitute with that whenever the lamb is out of commission. I then have the head of a bunny on a blanket that I leave in the car for her to hold on to when she's on the go. I initially was going to use the bunny blanket as her lovey in her crib, but she kept pulling the blanket over her face, so I removed it.

In any case, consistently putting the lamb in her crib has caused her to play with it all the time when she soothes herself to sleep. She likes to look at its face (eyes?) and chew on its ribbon (sewn on) and roll back and forth while holding on to it. When I read her a story in her crib, and she gets fussy, I'll hold onto the lamb through the bars and make it look like the lamb is saying the story. It really helps to distract her. So was it me, or did she choose the lovey? Will it actually become her lovey or will she crawl/toddle around one of these days and find something that will become her lovey? Hopefully not one of my bras or underwear, LOL! I will say, I've thrown other things in her crib like a wash cloth or one of my breast pads, but the one she likes best is the lamb. She also will play with the kitty that came from the BF, so I leave that in her crib as well. All other toys capture her interest for varying amounts of time.

Oh, by the way, one of the mothers in my play group did recently get a blanket with a bunch of tags sewn all around the border. Her baby LOVES it because there are all those yummy tags to suck on. You could consider that.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

JennSimm
11-09-2004, 09:37 AM
the boys each have a small Taggies Blanket with the different tags all the way around. One is really attatched and sleepw with it every night, the other just plays with the tags occasionally. they are really cute, and they have pillows and such that match. taggies.com is the website.

Jenn

lizajane
11-09-2004, 09:40 AM
just get something that you like and give it to her often. you can make her attach to it, but at least you will like looking at the lovey you choose!

schuyler has a 12x12 blanket (we have 2) that i have put in his bed with him forEVER. he could not care less if he has it or not. he plays with it sometimes, just like he plays with the stuffed dogs in his bed, but he doesn't "want" it.

his lovey, no lie, is his belly button. he sucks his left thumb and sticks his right fore finger into his belly button.

mudder17
11-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Oh, thanks for the website! I might have to check it out since Kaya does love tags!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

starrynight
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Eliza's love obession is with receiving blankets, she chews and sucks on one to fall asleep and also she carries them around the house. I have to take one with us wherever we go, thankfully she doesn't care which one I give her so I can switch it out for a clean on every other day or so.

I keep her clean ones in her bottom dresser drawer and yesterday I caught her in there pulling them all out and trying to shove 2 blankeys at the same time in her mouth LOL. She loves to pat it and rub her hands in her blankeys too. I'm glad she picked something simple and easy to get a lot of incase we lose a few. So far we haven't lost any though.