PDA

View Full Version : would you want this for a Christmas/holiday gift?

cdlamis
11-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi,
I love giving creative gifts. I really want to give this to my sister and SIL who both had babies this year.
http://bragalittle.com/classickey.htm
*ETA- I am considering the keychain set in the picture.

But my ever practical DH says that I should stick to giving them what they want as opposed to something I would want to receive.

As a new mom, would you want this as a gift? Or is it too personal? I would hate for them to feel like they have to use it just for my sake.

BTW- I found an inexpensive way to make this myself. This way I can also give them something they want. I found a comany that sells the charms (a simple version of what the website shows) and keychains separately and it comes to about $20 total. You still have to do the work yourself- shrink and copy the picture and attach the charm to the keychain using a hoop ring. E-mail me if you want links.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!

amp
11-08-2004, 07:50 PM
I totally would like something similar, BUT....I would go for something in shinier/polished silver, and it occurs to me that it would mean waaay more if it came from DH & DS, and I also found that I can't wear the mommy bracelet I have right now because DS pulls at it too much and actually broke it once. Just some thoughts to consider. But I think it's a great idea overall.

cdlamis
11-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Andrea-

Thanks for your feedback. I never thought about it being more special coming from DH and DC. Good point- maybe I will just mention the idea to their husbands.

What did you mean by shinier polished silver? I actually was looking at the keychain set- not the bracelets- in case that's what you meant. The keychain set I was planning on making would look similar to the picture on the website.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

mattiew
11-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Great find!!!!!! I'm emailing you for the links to the diy version!

Carrie

cdlamis
11-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Carrie-
I just e-mailed you with the links.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

jamsmu
11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
daniella, Could you post the links for the DIY here? I love the idea!!!

lizajane
11-09-2004, 09:36 AM
i think a gift like that from an auntie would be very special. and while they may already have a keychain they like to use everyday, there are always the spare house keys, the spouse's car keys, office keys... i use the same keychain everyday, but a friend gave me one that i LOVED and i used it for my spare house key for years (until it got lost. and i was sad.)

cdlamis
11-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Here are the DIY links. I am posting a few options for keychains that I found:

This one is for a sterling silver heart keychain:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/silverspot/stersilhearl.html

Keychain (not sterling silver) but cheaper: http://www.lillianvernon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=34254&addOn=485&categoryId=&catTree=&clearance=&sid=eas

Cheap sterling silver keychain from an ebay vendor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3822&item=4940314441&rd=1
This is what I am using. I just purchased it using Buy it now but the seller said she would honor the same price of $6.99 for anyone else. I do not know this ebay seller nor have I ever bought from her until today so I can't vouch for her until I get my keychain.
Her name is Cherin at [email protected]

Sterling silver photo pendant
http://www.auntiesbeads.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=fb906301-6dc9-42b6-ba16-6cd96a4eb41b&CategoryID=95148936-0ffc-4883-937d-20ed6ef41818

Now you just have to print out a small picture and slide it into the pendant and attach the pendant to the keyring with a jumpring- found at any bead store or even Michael's. I have never tried this so I hope it's as easy as I make it sound! :)

Good luck and have fun!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

amp
11-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh, I think the keychain would be perfect. Not as personal as a bracelet, but yet she can still carry pics of her kid around. I like that a lot better.

What I meant about polished silver is that the backside of the bracelet pieces didn't seem to be high polish, which I prefer. It seemed to be more satin with lots of etching. I only like a little etching (like the front of the keychain charm, which is higher polish around it).

casey118
11-09-2004, 12:49 PM
I love the keychain! I might make one for me!

houseof3boys
11-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I think it is a great gift Daniella! I want one now.

I used to have the Tiffany's key chain like this and used it for years but now that I am a mommy, this one is even more special with a pic. :)

octmom
11-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I love it! And I think it's a great gift idea. So good that I may copy you with the DIY version for grandmothers.

Also, I have a simialr keyrong from Tiffany's that my mom gave me after I got married. My initials (new to me then- 5 years ago) are engraved on a little silver charm. Maybe I'll add the photo charm to my keyring now. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

octmom
11-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I love it! And I think it's a great gift idea. So good that I may copy you with the DIY version for grandmothers.

Also, I have a similar keyring from Tiffany's that my mom gave me after I got married. My initials (new to me then- nearly 5 years ago) are engraved on a little silver charm. Maybe I'll add the photo charm with DS's photo in it to my keyring now. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."