PDA

View Full Version : DH & I are going to Gatlinburg, TN ...ALONE any suggestions?

JulieL
11-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I am so excited about this I just don't think I can handle the wait! DH and I are going to Gatlinburg, TN over his winter break. DS will be with the grandparents. We'll be going the week after Christmas but leaving right before the New Year. I found this great cabin secluded on 8 acres, w/hot tub and jacuzzi - oh baby!;-) The cabin over looks the Great Smoky Mountains but is close to the downtown area. Our agenda is to do probably two days of day hiking then hang out in town the other day and also in the evenings. So I was wondering if anyone here had an insiders scoop of the town. I looking for great hangouts, or romantic places to eat and so on. Any suggestions?

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Julie,

Sounds fabulous! My only suggestion is that if you aren't ready for another baby, take protection!! :)

(That's a joke. I hope you find it funny.)

daisymommy
11-09-2004, 01:49 PM
DH and I were married in Gatlinburg and stayed in a cabin just like that for our honeymoon. It was sooo wonderful, I'd love to go back every year! I think you'll have a fabulously relaxing time. There's also tons of things to do and see while you're there. You simply must go to "The Park Grill" restraunt. It looks like a lodge on the outside. We go there each time we visit for our nice dinner.
http://www.parkgrillgatlinburg.com/
Enjoy!

JulieL
11-09-2004, 02:27 PM
thanks for the help, I'm sure there's only one place like that. Should be easy for a local to point out, is it american food?

JulieL
11-09-2004, 02:29 PM
won't be taking any protection ;) , could prove to be the start of an interesting new year :D

bunnisa
11-09-2004, 02:33 PM
you can get yourself a fine airbrushed t-shirt! ;)

seriously, though - Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park is gorgeous. Most visitors to the area don't make it further than a half-mile into the park.

Enjoy the solitude and breathtaking views!

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

daisymommy
11-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I updated my last post with the name of the restraunt and a link. It's called The Park Grill. Yes, it's American food--the very best steak I've ever had in my life--seriously! And of course great dessert :) Hooray for you and DH, what a great place to begin again ;)

JulieL
11-09-2004, 03:12 PM
you can get yourself a fine airbrushed t-shirt!

well somethings must be forgiven you know! That's ok I live in Missouri and when you go anywhere near Branson well you're saturated with airbrushed stuff and hill billy "knicknacks". My favorite resort is Big Cedar Lodge http://www.bigcedar.com/, you'd never know it's right by Branson it's so serene. You just have to forget where you're close to!

bunnisa
11-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Big Cedar looks gorgeous! BIL & SIL live only about 5 hours away from there -- it might be a great place for us to all meet up.

Have a great trip to the Smokies! Bring back some pictures for us.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

Jacksonvol
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
I recommend the Burning Bush for breakfast. Also the Open Hearth is good. I also recommend checking out the Greenbriar area as it is in the park, but not overrun with tourists. Smoky Mountain Winery is also nice. Their Muscadine is great drizzled over vanilla ice cream. I have heard the aquarium is fun, but I have not been there. That time of year is usually soggy in the mountains, so take plenty of dry socks! And if you are going to drive Cades Cove (it is on the opposite end of the park), make sure to get there just after sunrise. The deer are more active and the cars are fewer. You can also go ice skating and faux snow skiing at Ober Gatlinburg.

And no trip to Gatlinburg is complete with out the airbrushed t-shirt or front license plate. I had a friend in college who made a lot of money in the summer airbrushing "Bubba -n- Sissy" on anything that stood still.

Also, I recommend bringing your own adult beverages as package stores are few and expensive. the same is true for food.

Avoid Pigeon Forge at all costs. It is just scary.

Have fun.

Jacksonvol
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
I recommend the Burning Bush for breakfast. Also the Open Hearth is good. I also recommend checking out the Greenbriar area as it is in the park, but not overrun with tourists. Smoky Mountain Winery is also nice. Their Muscadine is great drizzled over vanilla ice cream. I have heard the aquarium is fun, but I have not been there. That time of year is usually soggy in the mountains, so take plenty of dry socks! And if you are going to drive Cades Cove (it is on the opposite end of the park), make sure to get there just after sunrise. The deer are more active and the cars are fewer. You can also go ice skating and faux snow skiing at Ober Gatlinburg.

And no trip to Gatlinburg is complete with out the airbrushed t-shirt or front license plate. I had a friend in college who made a lot of money in the summer airbrushing "Bubba -n- Sissy" on anything that stood still.

Also, I recommend bringing your own adult beverages as package stores are few and expensive. the same is true for food.

Avoid Pigeon Forge at all costs. It is just scary.

Have fun.