PDA

View Full Version : Silly post

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Share an embarassing little secret that not many people know about you!

Note: This is meant to be FUN!
Some of mine:

I still sleep with a stuffed pig.

I attended a Backstreet Boys concert when I was pregnant with Matt. *embarassed grin* DH still makes fun of me.

I'm sure I have others. I'll add as I think of them.

ETA: It has been pointed out that what I originally wrote was very insensitive, and that was definitely not my intent.

psophia17
11-09-2004, 01:44 PM
I cry at EVERYTHING - I was watching a documentary about circus elephants while pg and this one elephant, Jenny, was being retired from the circus and sent to a sanctuary in Kentucky where two elephants already were. When Jenny arrived, she and this other elephant started freaking out. It turned out that they had been part of the same circus 30 years before, and were really happy to see each other.

I was weeping, and trying to be quiet. DH heard me anyhow, and was picking on me about crying. I tried to explain why I was crying, and all that came out was "elephants never forget." Now, whenever I get sappy about something on TV (or in Reader's Digest, which I'm not allowed to read), he mocks me by saying in a weepy voice "elephants never forget."

My other one is that I count everything at all times - how many times I chew, the number of steps in any staircase I go up or down, the number of steps from the ferry landing to the bus during my commute. During my c/s, I was counting, and right there in the operating room DH called me on it - "hey, are you counting again?" and I started crying, and he said "elephants never forget." *sigh*

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Petra,

LMAO!!

starrynight
11-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I count things too!! I don't do it as much anymore but I still catch myself sometimes when I'm going up the stairs.

I talk in my sleep all the time and I cry at just about everything!

psophia17
11-09-2004, 02:02 PM
The counting has been helpful in going up or down stairs while pg and carrying DS - I can't see them, but I know how many are there ;-)

kijip
11-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Since Toby was born I have become a crybaby.

I went to a Le Tigre show 1 week before Toby was born! Bought the 1 shouldered Le Tigre shirt and wore it while pregnant with my big belly peeking out.

californiamom
11-09-2004, 03:05 PM
I count everything, too! Something else that I do is I add or subtract the numbers of all license plates in front of me to see how how many numbers starting from 1 and going up I can get obtain as a result of my calculations. :P

For example, if the license plate contains the numbers 739:
(3+7)-9 = 1
9-7 = 2
3 is there
7-3 = 4
(9+3)-7 = 5
9-3 = 6
and so on...

How silly is this?

I have also become a crybaby after I had DD.

kensjen
11-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh I totally do the counting thing...but I think to a worse, more obsessive degree! I count everything when I eat, and it has to be in increments of four...four bites of potatoes, 4 chips, skittles, whatever. In fact, I usually group everything in piles of four when I am having a snack and if DH takes one, I freak! LOL He calls me Rain Man! ( just because I am that weird about it! ) I also count sentences when I read, which I know is very strange.

I also still sleep with a childhood bear, and he has been to Italy, France, Hawaii...all over. DH cracks up on that one. Although it wasn't too funny when I left him in our hotel in Paris, and the bear had to be FED EXED to us. Not a funny moment when you are on vacation. I was TRAUMATIZED. Just thinking about it right now makes me shudder. :)

papal
11-09-2004, 04:01 PM
ROTFLMAO.
Petra, that is truly one of the funniest stories I have read in a long time!!!
I am just imagining you secretly counting during your c/s and your dh noticing it and saying out loud 'HEY...' and you crying and him saying "Elephants..."

Petra, maybe you did not mean it to be funny though? You were crying at the time... i just thought it was hysterical.. please don't be offended but I am sitting here, holding my belly and Leela is staring at me like 'what is wrong mum?'.

babymama
11-09-2004, 04:21 PM
OMG! You're post made me cry - both crying out of laughter and sentiment (about the elephants)! Sooooo funny!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

babymama
11-09-2004, 04:31 PM
I don't know how to ride a bike. I grew up in a rough n'hood and my mom wouldn't let me leave the sidewalk on our side of the block (maybe 200 feet long). So I'd go all the way down to the end of the block on my Mr. T Big Wheel, pick it up, then turn it around and go back to the other end of the block - over and over again. I once got a Holly Hobby bike, but we never took the training wheels off.

Yes, mamas....I'm a cautionary tale. Don't shelter your kiddos too much or they might grow up to not know how to ride a bike. My Dh asked me "didn't you ever think of breaking the rule to go off the block?" and I don't think that ever even crossed my mind.

I have recently been on a bike, and I can stay balanced, but I am definitely pretty shaky and wouldn't feel confident riding outside of a park/jogging trail sort of setting.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

jupster75
11-09-2004, 04:33 PM
I cannot sleep without my Charlie Brown pillow case. I have even bought replacements for Charlie from eBay just in case.

I just found another set on eBay!! This could become my obsession.
http://tinyurl.com/5tkkg

Jennifer
mom to Audrey 11/3/03

jk3
11-09-2004, 05:02 PM
I count too + most things I do need to be in increments of 3. This started as a child + for some reason I can't let go - maybe it is a touch of OCD though I wish this would come out in more practical ways like being a neatfreak!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

psophia17
11-09-2004, 05:35 PM
No worries about being offended - I wouldn't have posted in the "silly post" thread if I didn't think it was funny...

Whenever I'm stressed out, like during the c/s, I count. I was crying because I was all emotional about DS being born. I'm thinking now that I might have started with the counting as a way to stop myself from crying (never thought about that before). DH is great - he always notices when I'm worked up about anything, and he mentionned the elephants to get me to smile and lighten up. It worked...it's one of my best memories of D-day :-)

psophia17
11-09-2004, 05:39 PM
What an inspired topic - way to go Candy!!

psophia17
11-09-2004, 05:42 PM
DH calls me Rain Man too! And there's nothing wrong with sleeping with a bear - I still have Snowy, who is too far gone to be slept with (he's almost 30), but he has a place of honor on a high shelf in DS's room, and I get him down to cuddle him, oh, at least a couple times a week...shhhhhhh!

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-09-2004, 05:50 PM
a short quick read real life story of an old European circus elephant...he died in his 70's and his trainer was born the same day he was...and he too died at 70...

AMAZING...quick read!!!!
Called "Modoc" :)

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

psophia17
11-09-2004, 06:00 PM
I'll be sure to look for it when next I'm in the library - thanks! :-)

MamaKath
11-09-2004, 06:26 PM
This is interesting to see what others have said. :-) And how much I have in common with some of you. ;-)

I am a counter also. I count stairs, rings on the phone, all kinds of stuff.

For years I set my clock in my car fast. For the longest time it was 17 minutes fast. I swore to dh that it was to build my math skills, lol.

I can find 4 leaf clovers like you wouldn't believe. I walked around looking down for most of the summer, and squatting when I'd find a good patch. We now have 4 leaf clovers from Lk George, my moms, The VT Teddy Bear factory, a rest stop where we saw a young eagle in VT, and a bunch more. We went to the shower over the weekend and the mom to be was sitting there while I was watching my little guys outside. A second later I handed her 2 four leaf clovers. ;-) Now as my dh is always saying "If only you could make money doing that." Lol! I have even found a few 5 leaf clovers.

It is funny I was thinking this morning of posting something similar, but haven't been around all day. Candy great question, and I hope your foot/leg is feeling better!!! I have a feeling you are not real mobile from the number of posts.

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Kath -

LOL! That obvious huh? :)

MamaKath
11-09-2004, 06:51 PM
(((((((((Candy)))))))))

How ARE you doing? Is it any better? How long are you off your feet? Anything ya need? LMK, otherwise you'll just get some extra prayers from me for now. :-)

leanng
11-09-2004, 07:07 PM
I SAW THAT SPECIAL AND I BAWLED LIKE A BABY!! I also cried while telling my husband what I saw that night! :) Don't read Chicken soup for the pet lovers' soul...I cried over SNAKE stories! Oh well, it means we're sweet! I also get upset during movies where it's a battle on horseback b/c I think the horses are probably really scared and that's not fair. :(

I also sleep with a stuffed animal. My bear...he just fits under my arm perfectly so why get rid of him. :)

LeAnn

Mom to Alex
11/12/02

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Kath,

Well according to my doctor, I'm supposed to be off that foot for two weeks. According to ME, there's no way that's going to happen. I hate the crutches. Hate them. With an all firing burning passion deep in the pits of fiery goodness.

So, we'll see what happens. I'm attempting class again tomorrow, hopefully I can make it without painkillers.

Nothing I need. Thanks for the prayers. You're a sweetheart. :)

jubilee
11-10-2004, 03:31 AM
Petra, that is SO cute... I love the elephants story you shared :)

jubilee
11-10-2004, 03:38 AM
I've shared this before, but I sleepwalk and sometimes do odd stuff in my sleep. I don't share that often because some people think I'm going to kill someone in my sleep like idiots claim to do when they are facing death row. The "scariest" thing I've done in my sleep is try to make a cake. :)

Saartje
11-10-2004, 03:41 AM
I mentally "type" words, and I can tell you whether any word is balanced between the two hands on a qwerty keyboard and how many letters it's off by if it's not.

I can move most of my toes individually.

I play Dungeons and Dragons.

I would probably be a professional singer if my voice were good enough for that.

Raidra
11-10-2004, 07:13 AM
My husband does really crazy stuff in his sleep. I won't hijack this thread, but you're not alone. ;)

When I eat M&Ms (or any similiarly colored candy), I pick two of the same color and put one on each side of my mouth. If I run out of pairs, I bite each M&M in half so I have an even amount for each side of my mouth.

tippy
11-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Great post! Sorry about your foot! I missed the post.

I cry from Hallmark commercials and those "Reach out and touch someone" commercials. (I think they are for AT & T or something like that).

When I blow my nose I sound like a charging elephant. Really, most people who hear me think I'm going to cause myself to have an aneurism. I've always blown my nose that way though and so far no nosebleeds or burst blood vessels.

Saartje
11-11-2004, 01:54 AM
Your post made me think of a couple more about myself:

I sneeze through my nose, not my mouth. (As a child, I never understood why people told children, "Cover your mouth when you sneeze!")

I almost never actually cry, because when I do, my throat and nose close up and it gets hard for me to breathe. It stays that way for hours, so even when I feel like crying, I usually stop myself. :( They actually called a psychiatrist in to talk to me while I was hospitalized for pneumonia at age two because I hadn't cried the entire time, even when it took five tries to get an IV line established. Apparently, I very patiently explained how yucky it felt to cry, and that my mommy had been there the whole time so there was nothing to cry about.

tippy
11-11-2004, 02:31 AM
Wow, I don't know what I would do if I couln't cry. Really! I cry all the time! I would probably explode! Or I'd have to blow my nose A LOT more.

I remember one more thing I do that is chewing related. If I am eating anything...I have to finish chewing on my right side. Even if I have to cut the last piece of something in half it has to be the right side.

TraciG
11-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I sleep with 2 stuffed animals, one in my arms & one under my head.

I count how many letters are in a word sometimes ( weird ) in my head.

I had to hold in crying when everyone sang happy birthday to Sydney for the first time, & this is REALLY weird, I like to smell Sydney's breath, why I dont know !!

candybomiller
11-11-2004, 02:05 PM
I almost always say words backwards in my head. I constantly spell things in my head and I try to balance out sentences so that there are the same number of letters on the left and the right of the middle.

I'm addicted to caffeine free diet dr. pepper.

I secretly love the movies on lifetime.

I had my first holocaust nightmare about a month ago.

I've never seen NYPD Blue.

I've lost almost 25 pounds in the last two months.

ETA: I think Kenny Chesney is really sexy, but only if he keeps his hat on!

kalebsmama
11-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Too funny!
Like Rachel, I also eat M&M's in pairs of the same color. I start with the brown and save my favorite color, green for last!

I always walk "in step" when listening to music (either music on the radio or whatever song I'm currently singing in my head!) This is from so many years of marching band and Drum and Bugle Corps! Left, right, left, right...!

It drives me crazy if a light is off but the switch is in the "up" position! I have been known to run back up the stairs to turn off the hall light so both switches will be down! (that's embarrassing to admit!)

I hate odd numbers. If I need to adjust the temp in the house or car, it's always 66, 68, 70 etc. I would never set it at 71! Oddly, I learned recently that my Dad is the same way. Wierd!

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of now!

psophia17
11-11-2004, 02:27 PM
I do the light switch thing too!

bluej
11-11-2004, 02:28 PM
"I've lost almost 25 pounds in the last two months"

That's not silly, that's great! Congratulations!