PDA

View Full Version : Just had our pictures taken- need opinions

new_mommy25
11-09-2004, 05:02 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone in the Reality Layette forum for your help.

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the photos. To be honest, I am not so pleased. DH and I got really wierd vibes from the photographer and neither of us felt comfortable. When we first walked in he was talking to his assistant. We stood there for almost two minutes feeling akward until he acknowledged us. I don't feel like he took enough family shots and I wanted some full length. I just assumed he would take some. Also, only in the beginning is DS smiling. It was pretty rough for him because he was tired. Towards the end of the session I asked to take a 5 minute break. The guy said, "Sure, I have about 10 minutes until my next appointment. So you can rest 5 minutes and then we'll shoot for 5 minutes". I was surprised when he said that because when I booked the appointment I asked him more than once how long each session was. His answer both times was "As long as you need". Knowing that he had an appointment in 10 minutes made me feel really rushed and I ended up not taking the break and nursing DS. I wanted a shot of Noah in his green diaper and Santa hat for a Christmas photo and never got it. I also told him I didn't like the pink chair. In the close up's of DS he is actually sitting in a much cooler wooden chair but you cannot see it. The guy kept switching lens on us before asking. For instance, I wanted pics of DS in the other chair but the guy told us he had his close up lens in.

Just so you know, these are just the preliminary pics. They haven't been touched up. Also, these are all dig photos. The guy wants us to pick 5 or more that we like and he is going to add backgrounds.

Let me know what you all think. I'm struggling over whether I even want these photos. I thought the photographer at Sears did a much better job at engaging DS and those only cost $5!!

Here are the pics on Shutterfly.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/welcome?i=EeBOWzNk3ZtWJo&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 05:08 PM
I like your photos. But, my opinion doesn't matter. If you aren't happy, tell the photographer! Make him do a re-shoot and make your desires known at the beginning. Or find a different photographer!

Tondi G
11-09-2004, 05:24 PM
There are a few in there that I like! # 12 in the sequence with the 3 of you on the floor ds in front! There are a couple of close ups that are cute too! I agree with you that I don't like the pink chair... it is too small and the color is just wrong IMHO! If you are not happy and didn't get the shots you like schedule a reshoot.... especially of just Noah if you want more of him!

I went to the Picture People with my DS and had a picture taken of the two of us and I LOVE IT! They did a fantastic job.... sometimes it isn't about the fact that the photos are done with a "professional".... Sears/JC Penny/PP sometimes do a better job!

One thought.... maybe the photographer could do some OUTDOOR shots??? Sometimes natural light/backgrounds make for the best pictures!

Good Luck

~Tondi
MOmmy to Mason 7/8/01
EDD of #2 5/5/05

psophia17
11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
I thought the pictures were alright, and really liked a couple of them, but I think you can tell that you weren't happy with the photographer while you were there. The picture I liked best was the last one, where your DS is fussing and you're comforting him - you can tell you're not thinking about the photog.

mudder17
11-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Noah's a cutie as usual, but I do agree with you that the chair is a bit odd. It just doesn't "go" with him. There are a few in there that I think are quite nice, but obviously, you're the one that counts. I agree with Candy; if you are not satisfied with it, you should definitely speak up. Especially because you tried several times to talk to the photographer during the shoot and you weren't even satisfied with that.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

sugarsnappea
11-09-2004, 07:15 PM
I like #9 and #13 best. What happened to Noah wearing only overalls? ;) The family pics are cute, but it does look like you were a little uncomfortable in some. Pick out the ones that you love, and skip the rest. For the record, I think the photos you have posted on the boards have been great. They show a more relaxed, happy family! :)

Marisa6826
11-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I'd be interested to see how the touchups look. I agree that the pink chair is weird. Not only is it not in proportion, it doesn't match anything. Maybe those he can flip into a b/w shot or digitally change it to a red chair to match Noah's shoes? There are also several shots where the the background drape isn't even or is coming out of the picture. What kind of "new" background is he planning?

I'd call him and say that you're not really thrilled with what you've received. Did you sign any type of agreement?

You, however, look beautiful and Noah is just too cute. I love the shot where he's holding his feet ;).

Maybe Helene (ismommy) has some professional suggestions.

-m

new_mommy25
11-09-2004, 07:38 PM
>I like #9 and #13 best. What happened to Noah wearing only
>overalls? ;)

Actually, when we showed up Noah was just wearing the overalls. But for some reason the photographer wanted to get the family photos first. So I put the shirt on him and never got a chance to take it off again. The whole thing just felt too rushed for my taste. This photographer came pretty highly recommended and he took great photos of my friends wedding. But I guess it just didn't work to well for us :(

MorganMom
11-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Ok, this is just MHO, but I photograph babies, kids and families professionally so....

I'm not liking your expressions- you all look uncomfortable/rushed. There are couple of good ones in there of your DS, but the family photos don't show good interaction.

What is with the background is some of the images? I can see blue and then white? I know you said these are unretouched images, but I personally would be embarrassed to show these to my clients. I retouch *all* my images prior to the proofing session. Usually it's just to adjust some color or do some sharpening, as I shoot digitally, but the lighting and shadows in some of the images seem really harsh. The color seems off too (tho that may be because these are low res images).

As for the photog's vibe: I work *really* hard to make my clients comfortable. A typical family session like yours would probably last at least 1.5hrs. A newborn session usually goes two hours minimum. I also always ask if there are certain poses you want or certain clothing changes. I'm not happy till my client is happy- and since you said he told you the appt. would last as long as you needed, I can see why you're not too keen on using him as a photog.

Did you prepay for a package or something like that? I would probably ask for a reshoot if that's the case. If you only paid a sitting fee and there are some images you do like, go ahead and purchase those and look for another photog who's willing to work with you more.

It's too bad you didn't have a good experience w/this photographer!

new_mommy25
11-10-2004, 04:00 AM
Thank you so much for your advice MorganMommy. I'm glad you gave me your opinion. I haven't purchased/signed anything. I did put a $20 deposit down but that was just to keep the appointment. I'm going to think about what I need to say and call him tomorrow. I know I am dissatisfied and I'm not sure if I want to reschedule a re-shoot. I fear it would be akward with our original displeasure weighing in the air.