PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watching Oprah??

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Holy crap @ these closets!

redhookmom
11-09-2004, 06:22 PM
The word gluttony came to my mind when I was watching. I am all for big closets and lots of shoes but those closets made me sad.

candybomiller
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Absolutely ridiculous! I'm a little jealous, but honestly, this is just crazy. Oprah has over a million dollars worth of clothes/shoes/bags she's "garage-selling."

BTW, I know you have a garage SALE, but is it garage-selling or garage-saling? "Saling" just looks wrong to me.

Sarah1
11-09-2004, 08:10 PM
I saw it this morning at the gym. My favorite was when Oprah said "only wear clothes that make you feel alive." Give me a break!!! What I couldn't get over was the homely couple (pardon if I offend anyone) spending $10,000 on that red dress. Why???????????

Saartje
11-09-2004, 09:09 PM
>BTW, I know you have a garage SALE, but is it garage-selling
>or garage-saling? "Saling" just looks wrong to me.

"Garage saling" is when you shop at garage sales, usually a series of them in one morning. When you're selling, it's just "selling." If you need to specify, you add "at a garage sale."

At least, that's what my DM always said, and she clothed six kids almost entirely from garage sales, so I figure she's a reasonable authority. ;)

bostonsmama
11-09-2004, 10:56 PM
They're probably behind for the year on charitable giving and wanted to put out some tax-deductible contributions before the new year. I thought about how I'd like to have been there, then bid $3-4,000 for something so I could write off my 10% come April 15th!

...and about Oprah's excess....it's mind-blowing. I used to think she actually bought all those gifts for Oprah's Favorite Things show, but it's the manufacturers. I know it's taken her a long time to get where she's at (and I respect her/love her shows), but I couldn't help but laugh when she had that home makeover (Ugliest Room in America) show. She had a guest who divulged the secrets of how our personalities match our household habits and room decor. Oprah asked, "I only like to use a big bar of soap when I bathe myself. I throw it out when it gets smaller than my hand. What does this say about me?" The guest responded, "That your life is dominated by luxury and excess!" I nearly fell on the floor. Boy, Oprah changed the subject really quickly!