PDA

View Full Version : High Heart Rate During Pregnancy?

MommytoDylan
11-09-2004, 10:17 PM
I just had my first visit with my OB for this pregnancy. I was 8.5 weeks along on the day of my appt. and the appt. consisted of a full physical for me and an ultrasound to check the baby and confirm dates. The baby looked great--171 heartrate and measured according to the dates I gave the doctor.

The doctor did measure my heartrate at 120 and sent me to have an EKG. I know it was high during the EKG because the clinician said, "You can't feel your heart racing?" because I said I felt normal.

I do have a mild case of hypoglycemia and the appt. lasted past lunch time--and then I was sent to get the EKG and lab work done. It may have been low blood sugar as I have really struggled to eat due to nausea.

Anyone else experience this during pregnancy?

Thanks,
Meredith

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Well, I have tachycardia when NOT preggo, and it only gets worse when I am.

I am on both a beta blocker (metoprolol - generic Lopressor) and a calcium channel blocker (Verapamil). Both are safe during pregnancy.

I suggest getting checked out by a cardiologist.

PM if you want more information

-m

PS - Congrats on the pregnancy!!

Saartje
11-10-2004, 03:29 AM
I experienced this after giving birth; they came in with the EKG machine without warning me, or even mentioning my heart rate had been high! DH nearly freaked out, and we made them bring in a doctor and tell us why they were doing an EKG before they did it.

They didn't see anything abnormal, and it went away after they gave me another IV of fluids (they decided I had just been dehydrated, despite the enormous quantities of water I'd been drinking). Later on, though, I realized I'd been having spells in which I felt like my heart was racing... which I'd failed to even notice at the time, because they used to happen to me so often, and I kept being told (not by a doctor) nothing was wrong. I've noticed them a few time since then, and checked my pulse, and sure enough, it was high...

Does anyone know anything about this? (Marisa?) Is this something I should have checked out? Sorry to hijack your post, Meredith! I started off just responding, and then realized I had a question, too.

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Well, I know that if I'm dehydrated, I have a much harder time maintaining my HR.

I keep Gatorade on hand in case I start having really tachycardic issues. The way that my cardiologist explained it to me, is that the salt in it raises my bloodpressure enough to maintain my HR.

My resting rate even WITH meds is normally never below 89bpm. It usually averages around 100, and has maxed out to 132-135. I can really start feeling it around 115.

Caffeine really does me in while I"m preggo. For some reason, it's not so much a big deal when I'm not, but currently I can't even drink a Snapple. And unfortunatley, my beloved Giardhelli brownies do a REAL number on me :( x(.

But to answer your question, yes, I would check it out. The heart, like any organ, is a muscle and they way it's been described to me, the more you exercise a muscle the bigger it becomes.

-m

Rachels
11-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Agreed on the dehydration. I can't maintain my heartrate when I'm dehydrated, either. It skyrockets. I found it really hard to drink enough straight water when I was pregnant-- you need lots because you're producing a lot more fluids. Your blood volume doubles, you replace a few pounds of amniotic fluid every couple of hours, you start producing colostrum / breastmilk for you baby, etc. There are lots of ways to get enough fluids in, though. If you're having trouble with that, try herbal teas (never black teas), juice, smoothies made with crushed ice, etc. All of those will help.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

MommytoDylan
11-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all your advice, ladies! I'm going to really work at drinking more water and will see what my Dr. says after reviewing the test results. I feel less scared!

Meredith

aguinn
11-10-2004, 09:49 AM
i don't know if this was the same thing, but when i was PG i had racing heart, went in for EKG, had to wear a heart monitor for 24hrs and was diagnosed with MVP (mitral valve prolaspe - more info here: http://my.webmd.com/hw/heart_disease/tp13302.asp?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}).

my heart would race if i ate things like chocolate, vinegar (oh, those salt and vinegar chips!) or anything with tanens (sp?) in it.

when birthing, i had to be on an IV with meds to prevent a labor-induced infection in my heart. after giving birth, the condition stopped causing any problems and i have not had an occurance since. however, the next time i'm PG and give birth, it's likely that i'll have the condition return and will definitely be on the IV meds again, as a preventative measure.

hth,
;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Weaned @ 13 months