PDA

View Full Version : Any BBB moms in south central VA?

laretce6
11-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi,

We've been in Virginia a few months (since my daughter was about 4 weeks old) and I know NO ONE. It's really hard to figure out where to meet other moms (or anyone) since I'm in a pretty rural area (think nowhere to shop but Wal-Mart). I've spoken to a few young moms at church, but everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. I get the feeling I freak them out by NIP ;)

Anyway I thought I'd check here and see if anyone lives near me. I know there are a number of VA moms, but I think most of you may be in NoVA. We're in Prospect which is near Farmville (Prince Edward County).

I would love to meet some local mamas!

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

octmom
11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
We're in Charlottesville, but I head to Farmville once a year or so to go furniture shopping at Green Front. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

sntm
11-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Oh, that's how I know Farmville. I'm in C-ville also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 17 months and counting

laretce6
11-10-2004, 02:55 PM
I just ordered the Discovery Toys stacking cups from the consultant in Charlottesville ;) I want to head up there when DD starts solids so I can go to Whole Foods and get her something remotely healthy (not a whole lot of organic food down here).

I haven't been to GreenFront yet, but maybe that's a good thing I don't think we can squeeze anymore furniture in our tiny house :)

It's good to know I'm not the only one down this way, even if you ladies aren't right next door.

Caroline

octmom
11-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Green Front can be a bit overwhelming. It's something like 12 buildings, many of them packed with furniture, and VERY hot in the summer, which is when I usually end up going. We bought our bedroom and living room furniture there, plus a corner cabinet for the dining room and a couple of smaller accessories, like lampshades. We really need new furniture for the family room. My battered old couch from my single days isn't cutting it anymore, but I can't decide how I want to arrange the room. Right now its a very 70s paneled room (ugh) that needs a major facelift. Until I make some decisions about what to do, I will not let myself go back to Green Front.

Organic foods-- if you're thinking about jarred stuff, Gerber has a line of organic foods called Tender Harvest. I've read in the feeding forum that some moms think Earth's Best is much tastier, but my son seemed to like the Tender Harvest stuff just fine. I just say this since you can probably get TH at your local grocery. Also, Amy's organics are pretty widelu available in frozen foods, fo when your little one is a bit bigger.

BTW, I love your daughter's name. I love the name Eleanor and the nickname Ellie. There is a local singer/ songwriter in Cville called Shannon Worrell who has a song called Eleanor, written about her best friend. The album came out around 10 years ago, I think, and I fell in love with the name after hearing the song. The chorus is something like, "Almost an angel, Eleanor is..." Dave Matthews sings backup. I think the Eleanor in the song also goes by Nell.

Katherine/ Catherine was our top girl's name when I was pg, but we could not decide how we wanted to spell it. We were still talking about it during my C/S before my OB delivered my son. Once we heard "It's a boy!", we stopped talking. So, we may need to have that conversation again next time. : )

I am officially rambling, so I'll stop now.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

mekiemom
11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
We are in Northern Virginia- out west in Winchester. Have you looked into joining your local MOMS Club Chapter? They were a great help to me when we moved here since I knew nobody in this area. We had moved from Reston and I left most of my friends out that way.
Here is a link to the chapters in Virginia. I hope you find something close by.

http://www.momsclub.org/links.html#Virginia

Jenn
our sweet girl 3/02

laretce6
11-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Jerilyn,

thank you for the complement on the name. My ILs hate it ;) She is named for my Grandmother (Eleanor) and my husband's Grandmother (Catherine as a middle name) and my younger sister who died when she was two (Kathryn). We too were arguing about the spelling of Katherine even as I was filling out the birth certificate info. We call her Ellie which seems to be growing quite popular, but I think a lot of people are using Elizabeth with Ellie as a nickname. I'll have to see if I can find that song. I was just wondering recently if there were any songs with the name Eleanor in them.

Thanks also for the baby food advice. I know tender harvest is available down here and I may end up trying it. I'm planning to make a lot of my own babyfood, but will probably want jars if we are traveling or out and about somewhere.

Jenn,

thanks so much for the link, now I just need to pull out the map and see if there's anything near me!

Caroline

bostonsmama
11-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Caroline,

Although I'm not a mommy yet, i live about an hour and a half south of Richmond, and I know that there are a lot of mamas on these boards who live in Southeastern Va who could be your buddies. I think I've read every single book written about children over the past two years that I've been planning a family. So, while I cannot empathize, I can surely sympathize. If you need a friend or a contact, I'm at your disposal. I travel a lot for weeks at a time throughout the year, but I'm one of the few to-be mamas who doesn't work in her off-time (well, I'm taking care of an aging grandparent, but it's certainly not paid work). AND, I love to travel...so if you ever feel lonely or bored, and you've established that I'm not some weirdo, feel free to PM me and we'll set a date to find a zoo, mall or other pleasurable outing where we can relax and do girlie things!

Welcome to the VA bunch!

Larissa
www.nusz.freehomepage.com

laretce6
11-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Larissa,

That sounds familiar-before I became a mother I read everything I could get my hands on. I think my SIL thought I was a freak when she got pregnant a year before I did and I was reccomending books and strollers, etc. to her. LOL
I would love to get together at some point.
We still haven't gone to Richmond yet, but I want to get there soon or at least after the holiday season.
Thanks so much for the welcome

Caroline

Virginia Dad
11-10-2004, 08:32 PM
We live in Richmond and I went to UVA for college. I have lived my entire life in Richmond and my DW is from Va Beach. Although I am very familiar with Charlottesville, Farmville and the surrounding areas, my knowledge has nothing to do with kids stuff. It's more of places to eat, bars to go too, places to enjoy the outdoors, and places to go before football games. If you can make it to Richmond one weekend, there is a ton of stuff to do. The Children's Museum is a blast. DD has been enjoying it for about 6 months now (she is 16 months). There is also the Richmond Metro Zoo. The Short Pump Mall is a neat place to go if the weather is nice, and it has a really nice play area in the food court. Once the weather is nicer, Maymont Park is a must see for the entire family. Just remember to wear your walking/running shoes!

Tori_s mom
11-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Welcome to VA! I'm down in Hampton Roads (southeast of you). I second the moms club idea, or maybe a local church or YMCA has mommy's day out or other group you could join. I know it's harder in a rural area to meet people, but luckily we can always chat online.

Tasha

mekiemom
11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi Tasha,
We lived in Hampton when DH was in the service in 97. I miss living down there, lots of good memories. I heard it's changed alot as far as growth.

Jenn

trentsmom
11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
It's great to have a fellow Wahoo here! DH & I both went to UVA.

trentsmom
11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
It's great to have a fellow Wahoo here! DH & I both went to UVA.

valeriec
11-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Another Wahoo here - CLAS 1998! I live in Harrisonburg, VA now.

bostonsmama
11-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Not Tasha, but I just wanted to comment on the Hampton Roads thing. Yes, it has dramatically changed since then. Va Beach is still one large suburb, but it's starting to really get built up. The oceanfront/boardwalk area is great (and less dangerous, per se). Hampton and Newport News have received some nice new attractions (malls, Bass Shop Pro, airport renovations) and Norfolk and Portsmouth have done a 360! MacArthur Center (our first upscale male) has revitalized the Downtown area. The city has done a good job at tearing down ghettos and replacing them with new low-income apartments. Old Dominion University constructed the Ted Constant Convocation Center, which draws all sorts of concerts and performances (not to mention my alma mater's basket ball team, the Lady Monarchs!) Norfolk's Oceanview, which a few years ago you couldn't have paid me to drive thru, is now the site of HomeaRama's DreamBuilder site and houses/lots are going for 3/4 to 2 million dollars! I don't think it would have cost $60K to pick up a lot like that 5 years ago. Anyhow, it's worth coming back for a mini-vacation. Our area is pretty booming now.

Tori_s mom
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah, why didn't they have all that nifty stuff at ODU when I went there? :) Love the Lady Monarchs!!!!

We're out in Western Branch area of Chesapeake. It's really starting to build up and Suffolk is as well. Everywhere you look, new houses are going up. I'm just wondering where the people are coming from...

Tasha

Mommie2MadLyn
11-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi Caroline, We moved to Richmond VA about 6 months ago from NY. I can totally relate to the feeling of needing to meet people! Its tough and I'm sure its a lot harder being in a rural area. If you ever get the chance to come to Richmond, let me know! I would love to meet up!