PDA

View Full Version : Pediatric/Children's Cold Medicines - Which one works the best?

wdland45
11-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Now that cold season is upon us again, I know that I will be periodically restocking my medicine cabinet with cold medications. It seems to me that every brand that I have used does not do very much in the way of relief for the babes... Have you found one that you really thought worked well? Please share. TIA.

Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

casey118
11-10-2004, 04:41 PM
For nightime- NIghtime Triaminic Cold and Cough!!!! (it is grape flavor). Also works well when you really need to induce sleepiness, not that I would do that ;)

For cough only- Delsym (sp?)

I haven't found a good daytime cold medicine I think works well.

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 04:48 PM
We've always had pretty good luck with Pediacare. There are two kinds - one in an orange box that is just a decongestant and one in a red box that is decongestant and cough. The only thing that sucks is that you have to give it every four hours.

Sophie gets wired on Benadryl, so upon the suggestion of the nurse at the Ped's office, we recently bought both kid's Nyquil and Triaminic allergy. Haven't tried them yet though.

-m

new_mommy25
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
We have had several different doctors caution us on using cold medications. They said that most only have about a 50% chance of working and may cause more harm than good.

here is a helpful link http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t089800.asp

tippy
11-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Wow Angie, thanks so much for a great resource!