PDA

View Full Version : Waaay OT: Makeup for the holidays

csa12
11-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Help! I am in desperate need of some new makeup for the upcoming holidays. I have a few events during the day and a few at night and only want 1 set of products. All that I am looking for is a foundation for my combo skin (more oily than dry) that evens out my skin tone and doesn't look cakey/too powdery on my skin. I tried on some at the department store today and almost gagged when I learned this stuff costs $55 (Trish McEnvoy)!!! What lightweight foundations do you like? What about tinted moisturizers? Are those enough to even out the skintone? I have a med/dark skin tone (i'm Filipino) so I am also having trouble looking for something that isn't ashy or too orange.

I did a search and found some helpful tips, but wanted to hear about people's current faves for foundation specifically. There are alot of makeup experts here! :)

Appreciate any info you can share!
Cheryl

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Do you want a liquid, a liquid that turns to powder, a powder that you dampen and apply with a sponge, a tinted moisturizer?

I personally don't use foundation. I do have a tinted cover up that I use on red areas, blend it with a damp sponge and then brush on a fairly good covering powder over that. The powder I have, Studio Fix by MAC, can go on really sheer (like a blot powder) with a big brush or much thicker if you apply it with a sponge.

Usually I don't bother with the cover up unless I'm really getting 'all dolled up' to quote my Grandfather ;).

I have MAC stuff to be great and pretty reasonably priced. They also have a gazillion and one colours, not to mention options. I also LOVE the fact that they don't work on commission, so they're not pushy at all. Here's a link to all their face stuff so you can check out prices before heading to the store:

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/mp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15107

Prescriptives is another brand that will actually mix a colour to match your skin tone if you find yourself not digging MAC. Don't know how spendy they are though.

Hope that helps

-m

kelly ann
11-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Cheryl-

I love my Bare Esscentuals/Minerals makeup - especially the foundation. It is all natural minerals...you brush it on since it is loose powder. I bought it last Christmas for myself and I will never go back to liquid foundation. It is so natural looking on me and I never have to worry about blending it in so I don't have that makeup line on my jaw. At first I thought it would not provide enough coverage, but after a couple minutes of letting it sit on my face, I was a believer.

If you want to see try it out in person, I would visit an Ulta store or see if you are close to one of the BE boutique stores.

kensjen
11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Yes! Bare escentuals! They also sell it at Sephora, my very favorite store! :) It is great, not *that* pricy, a little goes a long way.
Good luck!

MelissaTC
11-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Cheryl-

Hi girlie!!!! Nice to see you on here. :)

Have Sonia give you a Mary Kay makeover. It is awesome. You know I have terrible skin and this stuff works great for me. :)

new_mommy25
11-10-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm in love with Prescriptives foundation. I have a really wierd skin tone too (half Filipino) and they're colors match me perfectly. Also, if they don't have your shade they will custom mix you a color. How great is that?? Here is a link http://tinyurl.com/3jy5u

Also, I love tinted moisturizer. I wear it all the time. I use the Clinique version because it is a good color on me. Benefit make a good one too. http://tinyurl.com/3tw8z

Mac also has awesome shades for darker skin tone. I swore by them for years until I discovered Prescriptives.

I buy almost all my makeup at Nordstroms. The ladies there are usually pretty on it and the return policy is very generous.

bostonsmama
11-10-2004, 06:06 PM
I will tell you what didn't work for me: Estee Lauder's Double Wear, Double Matte, and Equalizer. When I was in college, I had oily skin because I was so young and active. The Double Wear and Double Matte dried my face out like a sponge, and then I broke out because the dry skin clogged my pores. The Equalizer (which is allegedly for combo skin), at least in the summer, slid down my face and settled into my facial creases. It was awful! I didn't like any of Clinique's foundations either...but they're for more youthful skin...I don't know.

Now, I'm Dry-to-Combo in the Winter and Combo-to-Oily in the summer. I have been using Lancome's Adaptive liquid foundation. I love it. I'm pretty fair, but they had great, natural looking shades that didn't make me look like a ghost or leave a line by my chin. It goes on sheer, feels lightweight, but has surprising coverage for red patches, blemishes or dermacreases. I use Revlon's oil free color-stay concealer when I want to fine-tune my look. It retails for $32, but I saw some shades for sale on eBay (unopened in the box) that might match your needs. Try to shop when dept stores offer freebies/gift promotions. I got a lipstick, eyeshadow and set of eyebrushes when I bought mine, and they are my favorite complements. Hechts/May Dept Stores/Dillards and Nordstroms offer great promotions on Lancome. Best of luck.

MichelleRC
11-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I just started using Bare Escentuals a few months ago and I LOVE it!!!! I have really sensitive skin and it just works so well for me. I really like the Mineral Veil finishing powder too!
QVC sells the whole line also.

csa12
11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Wow thanks ladies for all the great info on what worked and what didn't work for you! Now there are too many choices I want to try out.

I have been leaning towards the Bare Essentials, but also like the custom options of Prescriptives. I guess I am looking for something that will give me the most natural coverage and finish. I definately need help evening out my skin tone. So I am open as to whether it is powder or liquid. I guess for my combo skin a liquid would do better than powder?

I am far from a makeup expert but will have some experimenting to do. I read in another post about compiling popular BBB makeup choices--not a bad idea. Definately would be useful for me!!!

Thanks again ladies!!:)

Cheryl

csa12
11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Wow thanks ladies for all the great info on what worked and what didn't work for you! Now there are too many choices I want to try out.

I have been leaning towards the Bare Essentials, but also like the custom options of Prescriptives. I guess I am looking for something that will give me the most natural coverage and finish. I definately need help evening out my skin tone. So I am open as to whether it is powder or liquid. I guess for my combo skin a liquid would do better than powder?

I am far from a makeup expert but will have some experimenting to do. I read in another post about compiling popular BBB makeup choices--not a bad idea. Definately would be useful for me!!!

Thanks again ladies!!:)

Cheryl

lukkykatt
11-10-2004, 11:00 PM
I really like lightweight foundations. My favorites are: Bobbie Brown and Prescriptives. If you have combo skin, and since it is getting colder, I would get an oil free foundation.

I also use loose powder on top to control any shine (when I am getting really gussied up, which is almost never anymore).

For tinted moisturizer, I like Lancome. Hope I'm not adding more confusion at this point...

PS: Alot of places will give you a sample if you ask.

lukkykatt
11-10-2004, 11:00 PM
I really like lightweight foundations. My favorites are: Bobbie Brown and Prescriptives. If you have combo skin, and since it is getting colder, I would get an oil free foundation.

I also use loose powder on top to control any shine (when I am getting really gussied up, which is almost never anymore).

For tinted moisturizer, I like Lancome. Hope I'm not adding more confusion at this point...

PS: Alot of places will give you a sample if you ask.