PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your Kiddo really hurts themselves?

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Sophie was just running around before we put her in her crib for the night. She ran SMACK right into the corner of her crib, which is a sleigh crib. She clocked her eyesocket square on the part that sticks out.

I HEARD how hard she hit it before she even screamed.

I tried holding a cold wet washcloth to it (she hates ice) and we had just given her Motrin for teething not ten minutes prior.

Any tricks? Maybe it's time to get one of those boo boo bunny things?

I'm certain she's going to have one hell of a shiner tomorrow :(

-m

mharling
11-10-2004, 08:56 PM
I think a boo boo bunny is a good idea. Ands lot of extra snuggles. :)

The Motrin should kick in soon. And in Lane's case, his bruises are never as big as we think they will be. He really whacked himself on the cheek on Sunday and it immediately turned red and we could see a big bump. By the time he got up from his nap, we could barely tell.

Hugs to Sophie from Lane (and me too :) ).

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

rrosen
11-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Oh poor baby! Give her a big wet one from me. I keep baby wash cloths that I have wet in the freezer for ice packs. They thaw really quickly so they are not *too* cold. Gabrielle will tolerate them for short periods of time.

Hope she feels better soon!

candybomiller
11-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Oh, poor baby! Give her lots of snuggles from us!

Matt LOVES ice packs. But he doesn't put them on the actual owie. He just holds them and cries, but it makes him feel a lot better.

As far as what _I_ do when he really hurts himself... well, generally I cry right along with him. I hate seeing him get hurt and seeing actual tears, just tears me up.

pritchettzoo
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Poor Sophie! Owww. I held my face just reading your post. :(

Here's an alternative to the boo boo bunny:
http://www.containerstore.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/15789/15789.jpg
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=62523&PRODID=71030

Anna

pritchettzoo
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Poor Sophie! Owww. I held my face just reading your post. :(

Here's an alternative to the boo boo bunny:
http://www.containerstore.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/15789/15789.jpg
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=62523&PRODID=71030

Anna

Rachels
11-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I haven't read the responses yet, but homeopathic arnica works absolute wonders. I can't even believe how well it works. Abigail fell over backward in a very big chair and landed flat on the back of her head. She immediately had a goose egg the size of an actual egg. I gave her three arnica pellets, and fifteen minutes later it was simply gone. She seemed a little bruised and sore, but it really makes a HUGE difference in swelling and overall bruising.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Rachels
11-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I haven't read the responses yet, but homeopathic arnica works absolute wonders. I can't even believe how well it works. Abigail fell over backward in a very big chair and landed flat on the back of her head. She immediately had a goose egg the size of an actual egg. I gave her three arnica pellets, and fifteen minutes later it was simply gone. She seemed a little bruised and sore, but it really makes a HUGE difference in swelling and overall bruising.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 10:12 PM
I assume I could find these at Whole Foods?

-m

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 10:12 PM
I assume I could find these at Whole Foods?

-m

ginalc
11-10-2004, 10:28 PM
OK, this won't help with a shiner, but..........

When my kids cut or scrape themselves, I find the liquid bandages to be AWESOME! I carry a Nexcare Spray Bandage bottle in my purse (diaper bag) along with bandaids. The liquid bandage seals wounds and stops the hurt immediately. And they last until the wound is healed - no need to replace after a few hours!

I'm allergic to the adhesive in bandages so I find them handy for myself and well. Very nice!

gina, mom to 3
new baby due 5/05

ginalc
11-10-2004, 10:28 PM
OK, this won't help with a shiner, but..........

When my kids cut or scrape themselves, I find the liquid bandages to be AWESOME! I carry a Nexcare Spray Bandage bottle in my purse (diaper bag) along with bandaids. The liquid bandage seals wounds and stops the hurt immediately. And they last until the wound is healed - no need to replace after a few hours!

I'm allergic to the adhesive in bandages so I find them handy for myself and well. Very nice!

gina, mom to 3
new baby due 5/05

jubilee
11-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Poor Sophie! I've been lucky that my boys haven't ever gotten too hurt. Once Jacob got a big, big cut that required an ER visit and Logan got a big goose egg on his forehead and black eye from a fall into the dining room table leg. I always gasp, sucking all the air in... I wish I could stop myself from doing that. The boo-boo bunny we have is always great to have on hand, but both kids only play with it and don't really keep it on the injury. Maybe if I had two- one for the injury and one to handle?
I hope she is doing okay!! :) Hugs to Sophie!

jubilee
11-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Poor Sophie! I've been lucky that my boys haven't ever gotten too hurt. Once Jacob got a big, big cut that required an ER visit and Logan got a big goose egg on his forehead and black eye from a fall into the dining room table leg. I always gasp, sucking all the air in... I wish I could stop myself from doing that. The boo-boo bunny we have is always great to have on hand, but both kids only play with it and don't really keep it on the injury. Maybe if I had two- one for the injury and one to handle?
I hope she is doing okay!! :) Hugs to Sophie!

toomanystrollers
11-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Ok, my older two get a kick out of using frozen veggie bags for ice packs :)

toomanystrollers
11-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Ok, my older two get a kick out of using frozen veggie bags for ice packs :)

Marisa6826
11-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Sophie had a nasty infected finger a few weeks ago (she tore the nail down low and I didn't realise it until it was too late - BAD Mommy!). I used the Liquid Bandaid stuff then.

I'm also severely allergic to adhesives, so we always have it in the house ;).

-m

dowlinal
11-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Ouch!! I don't even know what to say. In desperation I have applied a cold teether to Madeline's head but it's not really something I'd suggest.

Hopefully either Sophie's eye will be fine in the morning or it will heal quickly. On Halloween Madeline cracked her nose and the bruise was gone within 2 days. Kids really seem to heal fast.

I think you might need to make some brownies to make everyone feel better.

Rachels
11-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Yep! look for the Boiron stuff in the tiny blue tubes. drop a few pellets into her mouth and let her work on them, or dissolve them in some water and give it to her by dropper.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

chlobo
11-11-2004, 09:56 AM
bumping up to find out how Sophie is this morning?

Hope she's feeling better.

momma_boo
11-11-2004, 10:01 AM
First, I hope Sophie is doing better and doesn't have too bad of a shiner this morning.

Second, what is a boo boo bunny? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of one.

Sarah has only really hurt herself once - she tripped over the dog and smacked her forehead against a cast-iron radiator. She had quite a goose-egg right on the middle of her forehead. We attempted ice but that was totally futile, so I think I just gave her some tylenol. It took several weeks for the swelling and bruising to go away. (But thanks to Rachel's suggestion, I'll be ready to deal with the next one!).

Marisa6826
11-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for asking. Here eye is a little swollen this morning below her eyebrow.

I didn't have the lights on this morning, but it doesn't have any really obvious bruising yet. Sometimes it takes her a couple days to really get a good one going though.

-m

Marisa6826
11-11-2004, 10:07 AM
This is a Boo Boo Bunny:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001WYJV8.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

-m

Marisa6826
11-11-2004, 12:00 PM
BIG bruise on my little Lamb's cheekbone :(

I knew we would see it sooner or later...

-m

pritchettzoo
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Poor Lamb! Is she feeling okay today? Take a picture of her first shiner--we have Gracie's first skinned knee from last week.

Does chocolate work on lambs too?

Anna

Marisa6826
11-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Considering that she's acting as though she's the love child of Richocet Rabbit and Tazmanian Devil today, I'm not willing to find out.

-m

hez
11-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hear about the bruise-- hope she's feeling better. Payton had minor bruises for about 2 months straight while he was learning to walk, and I hated to see those little purple marks all over his body!

Definitely take a picture! They make the best conversation starters later when she's 18 with a new boy friend :)

candybomiller
11-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, it's never to early to introduce her to the wonders of makeup!

Sorry to hear she has a bruise. :( ((BIG HUGS)) to both of you.

calebsmama03
11-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Sorry about the shiner :( Chiming in late here, but we have an elmo ice pack that a friend gave us (from BRU) that is awesome. It stays soft/pliable so it's not uncomfortably cold for a little one. It's got a removable terry cloth cover that has elmo "kissing" to boo boo away :) Especially nice since C's in a phase where EVERYONE has to kiss each boo-boo! It's about the size of my hand top to bottom and width wise. I searched BRU site and didn't see it there, so must only be in store.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

tippy
11-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Marisa,

Just reading this post now. Sorry about Sophie's accident. Hope she heals quickly. I'm knocking on wood that I haven't had to deal with this yet and am glad to have read some of the suggestions posted. Off to get some Arnica, boo boo bunnies and liquid bandages.

Mommy_Again
11-11-2004, 11:03 PM
OMG - the EXACT same thing happened to us today - this is strange! DS is a new walker and lost his balance in front of our glass topped coffee table (moving it this weekend) - and hit himself right below the eyebrow on the outer corner- sounds like the exact same place as you! I've been calling him my little black eyed pea all day, although it is hardly noticeable now and I was convinced he'd have a shiner. Poor little munchins! But I tell myself, it wont be the last time.

Question on the boo boo bunnies- are you supposed to put the soft part or the ice pack on the wound? The soft part didnt feel cold enough to me.

jubilee
11-12-2004, 01:53 AM
I put the whole thing in the freezer and bunny lives there until he's needed.