PDA

View Full Version : Lasik?

cchavez
11-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone have this procedure done recently? Can you share your experience? Was it costly? tia!

cchavez
11-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone have this procedure done recently? Can you share your experience? Was it costly? tia!

Java
11-10-2004, 10:51 PM
I had it done 2 years ago and would recommend it to anyone! I could not believe how much my life has changed.

I paid $1800 per eye with a lifetime care program. We paid through flex spending at DH's work so it was actually a lesser amount.

My BIL's wife had it done also and she couldn't be happier!

Let me know if you have specific questions. Something weird happened during my procedure that resulted in my having to "go under" twice: the laser stopped firing before it was done. I had to wait a week before I could go back and finish. Anyway, everything worked out great and my vision is 20/10 and 20/20!

Java
11-10-2004, 10:51 PM
I had it done 2 years ago and would recommend it to anyone! I could not believe how much my life has changed.

I paid $1800 per eye with a lifetime care program. We paid through flex spending at DH's work so it was actually a lesser amount.

My BIL's wife had it done also and she couldn't be happier!

Let me know if you have specific questions. Something weird happened during my procedure that resulted in my having to "go under" twice: the laser stopped firing before it was done. I had to wait a week before I could go back and finish. Anyway, everything worked out great and my vision is 20/10 and 20/20!

marit
11-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Well... Not very recently, about 5 years ago. I heard that technology has gotten even better now.

It was fast and painless and I am still very happy. On the ride home, I could read out the license plate numbers on cars and couldn't believe it. I had no problems what so ever.

It was expensive for me at the time, it was the most expensive thing I have ever paid for myself (at the time). For me, it was worth it, big time!

Good luck,

marit
11-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Well... Not very recently, about 5 years ago. I heard that technology has gotten even better now.

It was fast and painless and I am still very happy. On the ride home, I could read out the license plate numbers on cars and couldn't believe it. I had no problems what so ever.

It was expensive for me at the time, it was the most expensive thing I have ever paid for myself (at the time). For me, it was worth it, big time!

Good luck,

diekatze
11-10-2004, 10:56 PM
I've done it about 1 1/2 ago and paid $2000 for both eyes.
I am very happy with the result. I don't have to wear glasses anymore!!! First couple weeks, my vision was bit blurry but it was worth it!

diekatze
11-10-2004, 10:56 PM
I've done it about 1 1/2 ago and paid $2000 for both eyes.
I am very happy with the result. I don't have to wear glasses anymore!!! First couple weeks, my vision was bit blurry but it was worth it!

lukkykatt
11-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Christine, I worked for an opthalmologist when in high school, and the only thing I would recommend (having never done this myself) is to make sure you go to a "dr's dr." for this, ie, find out who the dr's are going to themselves and get an appt. there. I can't stress enough how much I do this ever since having worked for a prestigious doctor - and especially when talking about your eyes.

psophia17
11-10-2004, 11:54 PM
I have two friends this did this. The first LOVED it. She was and is thrilled with the result, and she had it done in 1998. The other was jealous of the first, and not surprisingly, when she had it done in 2000, wasn't as happy about it. IMO, she was too high maintenance in the first place, and her major problem was that "the moon didn't look right" after her eyes healed. It wasn't blurry enough for her on a clear night, if I remember correctly.

peasprout
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
The most painful part is when they tape your eyes open. The procedure itself is painless. I would totally recommend it. DH wants to do it too. The price depends on how bad your vision is. I would go for a consultation first. You might not even be a good candidate if you have flat corneas so find out first.

TonFirst
11-11-2004, 03:06 PM
I did it two years ago this month, it cost $1500 per eye, and having worn glasses since I was in the second grade and RGP contacts since I was in the fifth grade, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that LASIK changed my life.

If you can afford it - and I would only go with a reputable doctor who had both a solid CV and solid word-of-mouth - and you're a good candidate, absolutely do it. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for LASIK.

cmo
11-11-2004, 04:18 PM
I did it a few years ago for a total of $1600. No regrets at all! It wasn't really painful, more uncomfortable. My eyes felt drier for almost a year after the surgery, though. Nothing a few drops couldn't handle, though. Highly recommended!

mclianne
11-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Had it done in Oct 2001. Love it. I had a high index too, couldn't even see the big E on the chart. only knew there was a chart on the wall because it was a vary diffuse white blob on the wall! Anyway, also had astigmatism. I paid $1000 per eye. The doc gave me an 88% chance he could get me to 20/20, and 100% chance he could get me to 20/40. I went to my eye doctor and had him give me some lenses to correct my vision to 20/40 to see if it would be worth it to me.

Although 20/40 wasn't crisp and sharp like I was used to seeing with glasses or contacts, I still decided it was worth it to me. I was already wearing glasses a lot and at least post lasik, if I still needed them, they wouldn't be Coke bottle bottoms!

I thought the proceedure was painful! The suction rings they put on hurt like H#LL! It took all my willpower not to leap off the table. My vision was markedly improved immeadiately. i went home and slept for the recommended 4-5 hours afterwards. when I woke up, I could actually sit on the couch and watch the TV across the room. For someone who has been nearsightedand in lenses since 3rd grade, that's incredible!

I had some blurriness for about a week or so but it went away with several blinks of the eye. The dryness was worse in the first 6 weeks for me. Then it tapered off. Now, I get dry eyes mainly at night. the halos around lights at night are no worse then I already had with contacts. And I have absolutley no problem with driving at night. My night vision, when there is very low light has diminished from when I wore glasses & contacts. That is the biggest downside along with the dryness I think.

Do your homework. Know your eye measurements and take the info with you when you go surfing. Be informed as to what the recommended limits of the eye measurements where LASIK can still be done.

I agree with the recommendation of finding the "Doctor's Doctor"...

HGraceMom
11-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Another encouragement to do your homework and learn everything you can about the surgeon you're going to use...

A very good friend of ours is an Optometrist who works with one of the top Opthamologists & Lasik surgeons in the country - he was actually one of the doctors who participated in the FDA trials years ago. If we want to get either of them going, DH & I mention a $499 deal we saw advertised on an I-75 billboard... Needless to say, a huge part of his practice includes fixing "mistakes" made by other surgeons. He receives referrals from all over the southeast - If either of us was having Lasik done, we'd go back and stay with them "on vacation" for the surgery & follow-up.

The surgery is amazing - so much of it is just the most incredible technology - but you only have two eyes that have to last through your whole life... SOmething to ask when you're interviewing doctors would be "how many times is their a need for "repair" after you've performed a surgery." Not everyone is a candidate for Lasik, but some surgeons will do the surgery anyway, they're hungry for any business.

Jenmv
11-11-2004, 10:34 PM
I had it done last May. I payed $3400 for both eyes and it was worth every penny!! I was severely near-sighted and have worn glasses since the second grade and now have 20/20 vision. It's truly amazing how quick and painless the procedure is. I used the artificial tears for about 6 weeks afterwards. I do notice a slight extra glare to stoplights at night but nothing so bad that I regret having it done.

I agree with every one else to find a local DR that is well recomended. I have a co-worker who went out of town to go to one of those "$299-an-eye" places and she had greater complications because they did not do as thorough of a pre-op work up.

new_mommy25
11-12-2004, 04:20 AM
Ha, ha, I love your signature! Thanks for the smile :)

starrynight
11-12-2004, 11:51 AM
My dh had it done last fall, we didn't pay for it our insurance did. (but they won't pay for me to get it wahhh)

He can now see 20/15 before that he was something like 20/600 his eyes were really, really bad. He does occassionally get dry eyes, it's the worst at night or when he takes certain medications (could be from the meds, not necessarily the lasik). He has a touch of halos sometimes in one eye but it's not bad enough to effect his vision. He thinks it is because he moved that eye a little bit during the procedure and they had to stop and start again and it might have made things a bit "off". He could see 20/20 within minutes of it being done, he did rest afterwards, that is really important. He had no problems with recovery, it's important to follow the eye drop recs. and to use them to prevent scaring.

crayonblue
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm having it done in a few months. I have had all the testing done (cornea thickness, pressure, etc.) and am just waiting until I wean Lauren and then 3 months so my hormones are stabilized.

My vision is over -10 in both eyes (something like 20/1100?). I wore RGP contacts from age 9 to 27 and then my glasses for the past two years. I absolutely cannot wait to have surgery. I am concerned about dry eye (I already have dry eye) but my vision really does affect my life. I am hoping the dryness will be temporary and that eye drops will work.

My mom and my BIL both have had lasik and are thrilled. They both had very bad vision and got to 20/20. Both say they do not see quite as well as before with their contacts (lost some sharpness) but compared to 20/500+, they are happy. I am trying to look at it that way. I hope to not have to wear glasses after the surgery, but as bad as my eyes are, 20/40 would be wonderful.

My one recommendation is to go to a really good doctor and pay the $3000 or so that it costs. I have an opthamologist that I love and he has recommended a lasik surgeon who I like. I would NEVER pay $499 to have my eyes lasered. I have friends who have done this and been happy but I think the risk is just way too high.

Good luck!

cchavez
11-12-2004, 12:59 PM
DH and I need to discuss whether I will get this done. My concern is that I have dry eyes too....I need plugs put in a few years ago. Then I plan I going off the pill in about Jan. to TTC #2. Maybe I should wait a few more years after baby #2 is here......

Kimberly H
11-12-2004, 06:00 PM
My husband is night-blind so I have to wait until DS #1 is 16 so he can drive if I have complications that make it difficult for me to drive at night.

He'll be 16 next month so probably sometime this summer :)