PDA

View Full Version : When did your baby switched from 2 naps to 1???

diekatze
11-10-2004, 10:53 PM
My DS will be 15 months in 10 days and last three days or so, he's been taking only one nap.

It worries me a bit because he seems tired but wouldn't go to sleep.

Like today, he woke up at 5:30am then took first nap around 10:15, woke up at 12:00.

He looked tired so I put him down in his at 3:00. He played(complained here and there) whole one hour in his crib!!!

So I took him out and he was playing fine til 6:00. Okay cranky here and there but he was doing okay.

I would like him to have smooth transition from 2 to 1 nap...Any suggestions??? Thank you.

diekatze
11-10-2004, 10:53 PM
My DS will be 15 months in 10 days and last three days or so, he's been taking only one nap.

It worries me a bit because he seems tired but wouldn't go to sleep.

Like today, he woke up at 5:30am then took first nap around 10:15, woke up at 12:00.

He looked tired so I put him down in his at 3:00. He played(complained here and there) whole one hour in his crib!!!

So I took him out and he was playing fine til 6:00. Okay cranky here and there but he was doing okay.

I would like him to have smooth transition from 2 to 1 nap...Any suggestions??? Thank you.

amp
11-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Good luck with that smooth transition! ;-)

We just went through this process, and in fact, I think it's still adjusting. We've dropped one of the naps, but the nap time is still in flux.

DS is currently 17 mths old, and I would venture to guess that we have been dealing with this transition for about 2 mths or so. For us, DS was always ready for his morning nap, but was not sleeping during his afternoon nap, much like your DS. He would seem tired, would lay down, but would then just play and eventually fuss to get up. So, on the recommendation of some ladies here, and our ped, we started to push back the am nap a bit later and later. Many, many days, he still needed two naps, but other days he didn't. Gradually, he needed the 2nd one less, but he still had trouble making it past about 10am without going down for his nap. Over the course of the last month or so, we've been able to move the nap closer to lunchtime. I'll readily admit, however, that the time still changes a lot and I watch him like a hawk to try to determine if I should push it later or put him right down.

So, you many not know for another month or so whether your child will need one or two naps on any given day. As Lori (momof3labs) told me, "Good luck planning around that!" She was sooo right!

pixelprincess
11-11-2004, 01:09 AM
DS is 16m and transitioned to one nap three months back. He started daycare around then, which helped somewhat. He used to take two naps...one around 9:30-10 am and the other around 3 pm. Each nap lasted an hour to hour and half. His wake up time has been consistent...around 6:30 am. We had a similar experience when he transitioned... he'd seem tired, but wouldn't sleep and play in his crib for a long time. I kept pushing his nap back by a half hour or so... and now he naps around noon for 2-3 hrs...nice, eh??

It seems a lot easier when he is busy and active, often out and about to stay awake for the noon nap. We still have off days...with sickness and change of schedules (car travel, etc).

Good luck.

new_mommy25
11-11-2004, 04:24 AM
As soon as DS turned 12 months he decided he didn't want to second nap. I did the same routine with him for about 3 weeks until i realised he just wasn't interested and stopped offering it. Now he takes a morning nap around 11 or 12 and it generally lasts about 2-3 hours. I feed him lunch when he wakes from the nap. He wakes up about 7 am and goes to bed between 7 and 8 pm.

I think the best theing to do is just follow your DS's cues and take it from there.

hez
11-11-2004, 10:30 AM
My DS had two schedules: Always 1 afternoon nap a day at the sitter's, and 2 naps a day at home. Within the last month and a half or so, he dropped the morning nap at home. The afternoon nap is always around 1 or 1:30 at the sitter's, but the start time creeps as early as 11 or as late as 3 at home. Guess it depends on how interesting he finds me (or DH) that day!

The transition for us ended up being smooth because it just kind of happened. We would do the same routine we always did, and I would wait 'til he let me know he was tired (all the rubbing eyes kind of signs). Sometimes I'd look at the clock and realize we'd totally skipped a nap while we were playing.

What I did notice is that his first nap used to be an hour, and his second nap used to be an hour and a half or two. His single nap is now 2 to 2 1/2 hours. It's like he's just getting it all in one shot!

kransden
11-11-2004, 11:01 AM
The daycare did it at about 15 mos. She was cranky for about a month during the transistion. Dd takes a 2-3 hour nap somewhere between 12-4 everyday, or we have heck to pay!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

CiderLogan
11-11-2004, 08:37 PM
We are going through this transition right now. DD is 14 1/2 months, and she had been taking her AM naps very regularly, but about half the time would never sleep in the PM. Like the PPs said, she'd seem sleepy but then just lie in her crib in the afternoon. Just this week we've started skipping the AM nap, and -- fingers crossed -- it's going well. We're getting some work done on our house, so I've been trying to take her out in the mornings to avoid the paint fumes, so it has been convenient to be able to go out when she'd normally be asleep. She has fallen asleep in the car in the mornings, but it has only been for 5 minutes or so because we've been visiting relatives close by or just going to the library or things like that -- and I have managed to wake her up when we got to our destination without her being too cranky. I don't know if those tiny car naps have helped or not. But so far we've gone from 2 1.5-hour naps to 1 3-hour nap, and the transition has been fine. I hope this routine continues!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

Oregonmother
11-11-2004, 10:40 PM
My DS went down to one nap at 11 months. I tried for a couple of weeks to encouage him to take a second nap, but he would just play or cry to get out of his crib. He was fussy for about a month during the transition. He is 14 months now an sleeps from 7pm-6ish am and then takes a 1 hour nap around 10-11am. I can't seem to get his nap pushed back to noon yet, he always gets tired earlier so i just let him nap. He occasionally(like 1-2 times per month) takes an afternoon 30 minute nap at 3pm if we have a busy day, he gets up early, or takes his am nap earlier than normal. Not much spare time for me around here.