PDA

View Full Version : What is your home temperature day and night???

diekatze
11-10-2004, 11:33 PM
I am full of questions today...^___^****since my DS took 1 nap instead of 2 and went to bed very early....

One more question...What is your home temperature day and night??? If you know. Mine is 72 during the day and 76 at night. I am not sure whether he's too hot or too cold especially at night...

Even with 76, I get chills--I am like that..Even hot summer night, I need blanket to sleep.

For my DH, he's always hot...

So I am just curious what your is like...

mharling
11-10-2004, 11:35 PM
We generally keep the house at 70 around the clock. Sometimes at night we go to 68 or 69. My parents keep their house cold (60 at night) and I hated it growing up. There is nothing worse than getting out of the shower in the morning and shivering.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

amp
11-10-2004, 11:36 PM
During the winter...

Around 70 during the day
67 at night (I prefer cooler and using blankets), but DS has a space heater in his room, so it stays around 68-69 in there, and he sleeps with a light blanket.

bostonsmama
11-10-2004, 11:40 PM
No babies, but we keep the house between 68-70 during the day (much with the help of natural sunlight) and let it fall to 65 or 66 at night (we have a down comforter with a satin duvet so it traps in heat like the dickens)! I think when we have little ones to think about we'll do about the same.

tina-t
11-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Around 68-69 degrees day and night.

redhookmom
11-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Ours is at 68-69 during the day and 65 at night. As a kid it was always freezing at night. We had these bags that you filled with coal from the stove to warm up your bed. So, 65 is about as warm as I can take it. I love sleeping underneath heavy blankets.

hellosmiletoday
11-10-2004, 11:54 PM
During the middle of summer here in S. Fla, we keep it at 76 at night and 78+ during the day and our power bill still was over $180 for a tiny 2 bedroom house with poor insulation. Now that it is cooler, we put the A/C at 74-3 just to keep air circulating and reduce humidity. However, I am finding that at night DD's hands are really cold. What will we do during the 5 days of winter that we have down here?

I think the temp you keep your A/C at really depends on many factors. In the summer, when our A/C is running non-stop around the clock, 77 is equivalent to a therm temp. of 74 in the fall, b/c of the air circulation, etc. However, there is no way we could keep our A/C below 73 or we would all freeze (and we will be moving to NC next yr...boy are we in for a surprise).

But really, what can I do about DD's ice-cold hands???

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

diekatze
11-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Oh, boy....so far, it feels like our house is bit too hot!!!

It just doesn't feel that way though....

In the morning, his feet, face and hands are cold...

My DS won't keep the blanket. He used to kick it away and now he throws it off to the fllor from his crib...

I dress him in light cotton short sleeve shirt underneath cotton PJ's...I tries footed fleece PJ for the first time today since I thought our house too cold...

Oh, boy....

diekatze
11-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Same here about cold hands...We live in Southern CA...

That's why I keep the heater in his room and keep the temperature at 76...

jubilee
11-11-2004, 02:33 AM
During winter, 72 day and 73-74 at night... but I have a temp gauge in DS's room and it always shows it is 3-4 degrees cooler there. So I got a small space heater for night since he kicks off the covers.

californiamom
11-11-2004, 06:38 AM
I can totally relate! I am always cold, DH is always hot.

Temparature here is 65 during the day (but nobody is home) and 73 evenings and night during the winter. For some reason, I still think it is cold. I don't think my house was properly insulated (just finished building our house less than 1 year ago) so I am having our builder do a check on all the walls next week.

Last winter I was on maternity leave and our home temperature was 72 day and night. We got a $550 heating bill for that last January. Definitely don't want that to happen again this year!!!

But because I think the house is a bit chili, I always dress DD on fleece pajamas or a fleece sleeping sac at night. She seems to be very comfortable like that!

HTH

bluej
11-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Like many here, 70 during the day and 65 at night. DH loves it freezing cold so it's not uncommon for our bedroom window to be open a bit all winter long. My kids LOVE blankets (the heavier the better as far as they are concerned) so they love having a cold house at night. I get up at around 5:30 and turn the heat up then so the house is warmer for everyone else when they get up.

barbarhow
11-11-2004, 08:12 AM
I fall into the always cold category. During the day if we are home we keep the temp around 70. At night it goes up to 73. I still sleep under a blanket and big comforter-sometimes 2 more blankets, too. Jack sleeps in a fleece footed pj. He never seems cold-will not keep a blanket on.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

houseof3boys
11-11-2004, 08:19 AM
We tried it at 70 last night and I was fine (pregnancy hormones :)). We are normally at72 degrees year round though!

We use a down comforter all year too and we live in Hotlanta. :P

KrisM
11-11-2004, 08:30 AM
We're at about 72 during the day and 65 at night. We all sleep a little better when it's a bit cooler.

nwaddellr
11-11-2004, 09:04 AM
My goodness, you all keep your houses warm. Just to preface, I live up north and don't have AC, so summer temps are whatever it is outside. Winter temps are another story - we keep it 65 during the day, with it 68 when getting ready in the morning and in the evening, and we let it fall to 58 at night. No one's up, so why bother heating the house! And if you're cold, just put on more layers.

Marisa6826
11-11-2004, 09:14 AM
68 all the time. I'm always hot and Jonathan's always cold. We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom, so I'm cool and he sleeps with an extra down blanket so I don't have to hear the whining! ;) :P

-m

chlobo
11-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Well my husband and I have been arguing about this very point. We have 3 zone heating so our room is a brisk 64 day and night, unless I'm showering and then I turn it up. No one goes in there during the day so its ok.

However, in DDs area of the house her room is like 66 at night and I think its way to cold for her. My husband disagrees. But she's only a little baby (1 year old) and I think she needs it warmer.

Marisa6826
11-11-2004, 09:54 AM
The nursery (where Sophie still is) is in the rear corner of our house and still has the original windows so it's pretty cold in there. I have a space heater, but haven't used it yet this season. Unfortunately her "big girl room" is also on an outer rear corner. The windows in there are new, but there's only one heat vent in each bedroom. x(

I found those Circo footed microfleece sleepers in Target. They're 2 for $9.97 and perfect!! Not as thick as the Carters ones, but a little warmer (and have feet) than the Hanna zippers.

I also got her a little down throw from Costco for $20. Of course, she doesn't stay UNDER it, but it seems to keep her warm with her sleeping on top of it. Her hands and feet aren't cold anymore when she gets up.

The way our house is (it's 70 years old), it's always 1-2 degrees cooler upstairs than downstairs, but I"m not paying to keep the couch warm at night :P.

-m

icunurse
11-11-2004, 10:09 AM
We live around Chicago and many people think our thermostat settings are too low, but here we go.....set for 63 overnight and 66 during the day and evening hours. Though, I will turn it up to 68 when it is really freezing outside and layers and the fireplace aren't enough.
Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Momof3Labs
11-11-2004, 10:22 AM
We live in the Chicago area. In the summer, we keep the house at about 76. In the winter, 67-69, but usually 68. DH and I sleep under a heavy comforter, but Colin only wears fleece PJs and he seems fine that way! In the summer, though, Colin wears thin cotton PJs with no feet, or even just a onesie or he gets too hot.

hellosmiletoday
11-11-2004, 10:35 AM
A room heater is a good idea.

I see that most people here already have the heat on, so that changes what temperature you have the house at! During the non-existant 5 days of winter in Miami, we keep the thermostat at 68 degrees. Its freezing in the house, but we bear it by sleeping under the covers. I think it might have to go above 70 this year with DD being so little and not able to have blankets to sleep with.

Can I add that its still often 80+ degrees during the day here, and wont be putting on the heater until the end of Dec or beginning of Jan! :(

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

mysweetboy
11-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Now we keep it around 68-69 around the clock. In the summer, around 75 during the day and 71 at night.

Pre-pregnancy I was always cold. 68-69 would have been WAY too cold for me....not anymore!

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 6 months old!

candybomiller
11-11-2004, 01:50 PM
In the winter it's 70 day and night. In summer it's 74 day and night. In the winter I sleep with our comforter and a doubled up down comforter on top of me. In the summer I just use the comforter.

kalebsmama
11-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Well, I'm usually hot so we used to keep it cooler before kids than now. We're in Ohio, and keep the heat at 68 during the day - sometimes at 70 if it's really cold out. At night, it goes down to 65. Used to be 60 at night and during the day when we worked so our heating bills have gone up since I stay at home.
The kids wear fleece pajamas and a onsie and don't seem too cold. Last winter, I tested the temp in DS's room since the upstairs is usually cooler. Well, over by the windows it was colder than on the other side where the register is. So, since his crib was on the outside wall, I moved his room around and put his crib on the inside wall. It seemed to be better - not that he ever complained before I moved him!

diekatze
11-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I've tried the footed fleece & short sleeve oneise last night and kept the temp to 74. He woke up around 4:30am... I've felt his back to see whether he's too cold or hot... I think he was bit hot. His back was sticky and whole body was bit too hot...Not that he had fever or being crancky...He was up and ready to play...

I've talked to my DH and we are going to lower the temp to 68 during day time and 70 at night. For DS's room 72 with heater.

Thank you...