PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's baby on Prevacid?

AngelaS
11-12-2004, 07:01 AM
I had a lightbulb moment yesterday that Miss Meredith (one month old) has colic. This was after three straight hours on Wednesday night that I couldn't get her to stop crying for ANYTHING! And I realized this has become a pattern, but since Wednesday wasn't a good day, that evening was especially hard!

So, my ped has put her on Prevacid. She got her first dose last night before her grumpy period usually starts and it didn't seem as bad (at one point she went a good FIVE minutes without crying...). lol (the small victories!)

My ped says that we'll know within a day or two if this helps her so I'm praying HARD that tonight's better. DH is ready to call the orphanage....

Anybody else use this on their babies??

Rachels
11-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Wow, it's actually surprising that he went straight for prevacid without trying zantac first. That's a serious drug. FWIW, colic is quiye often a food allergy, and the most common culprit is dairy. If you're nursing, you might try cutting dairy completely out of your diet (no cheating) for two weeks and see if that helps. If she's on dairy formula, perhaps try a hypoallergenic formula instead (there are lots of reasons not to use soy). Also, Boiron makes a homeopathic remedy for colic called Cocyntal that we found very helpful until we figured out Abby's food allergies.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

jbowman
11-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Angela,

Ellie was given Prevacid for acid reflux (from the time she was 2 1/2 months old until she was 5 months old). It was in powder form and we mixed it with water (a half packet a day I recall). We never had a problem with it. I am always skeptical about prescription medicine in general, but it really seemed to help her.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

MOSh513
11-12-2004, 09:27 AM
I second the idea of eliminating dairy. My DS was colicky until he went on Zantac and I removed dairy from my diet. Removing dairy was my idea, not the Peds, but he also had cradle cap and eczema, so dairy seemed like a likely culprit. Now, I occasionally have small amounts of cheese and since he is older, he just gets a little gasey and his eczema flairs up. (I'm such a nice mommy!) But a woman's got to have cheese every now and then, right?

AngelaS
11-12-2004, 10:17 AM
So what's the difference between colic and reflux?? I think she has symptoms of both....She's only fussy in the evenings--she's an ANGEL ALL day long until 4:30 or 5pm. But during the night she's grunty and snorts up milk. She's rarely spitty and a good daytime napper.

Wouldn't a food allergy bother her ALL day??

I wondered about eliminating dairy. I LOVE my milk, ice cream, cheese, yougurt....NOOOOOOO!

Rachels
11-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Abigail's reflux was greatly aggravated by food sensitivities, and nighttime was far and away the worst time. FWIW, it took me two weeks to get used to an elimination diet, and after that it was no big deal. She eventually outgrew almost all her sensitivities. The difference in how she felt was enormous, too-- it was entirely worth doing for her. I imagine it's not the last time I'll sacrifice something on behalf of my child, kwim?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

amazz
11-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey girly!! Our babies are a month old...how did it go by so fast?! :)

Kami had some screaming issues from day one so once I figured out it might be dairy I have been off of it completely and I was a dairy-holic! But seriously, after you get through a few days without the crying (if that indeed is the problem) you realize that the ice cream isn't worth the screaming baby. And if you are like me, you feel so bad for your precious little one that you will do just about anything to relieve the pain. Kami was also VERY gassy (she is still gassy but not to the extent that she was) so she was in a lot of pain with the screaming. It was like I had two different babies--one perfect angel who smiled from her first week home and one who was enough to make me want to invest in earplugs.

Let us know how it turns out!
Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg