PDA

View Full Version : Bangs or no bangs? A hair question for moms of girls

peasprout
11-12-2004, 04:52 PM
I've been growing out DD's bangs but she looks like an unkept child when she pulls her hair clips out (which is often). It just hit me that it's not going to get better when it finally grows out,...I'll have to keep clipping it up to get it out of her face. What do all you moms do? Just wondering,...

JP

missliss55
11-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I have been dealing with the same thing. DD is 18 months old and I haven't cut her hair yet. I usually do pig tails or clips but if they come out she does look like a wild child. Some days I am ready to have bangs cut. DD's hair is really long and I have to put something in it or she won't be able to see. Luckily she is pretty good with things in her hair.

redhookmom
11-12-2004, 05:46 PM
My dd is 2 and still has baby hair. It is just becoming long enough to need a clip. I tried in once and she was not that happy. Now whenever I go to get one she yells "NO CLIP, ALREADY HAD ONE!!"

I don't want to snip off the front but I don't think that it is a battle that I am willing to fight.

Marisa6826
11-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Gotta say bangs. It just makes life so much easier for me. Toddlers AREN'T big into hair clips! :)

Sophie's got a big day tomorrow! She's coming with me to my NYC hairdresser and he's going to do a trim (her third one) since he's already cutting Mommy's hair :)

Will post pics.

-m

Rachels
11-12-2004, 07:33 PM
We grew Abigail's out. It was messy for a bit, but eventually we were able to pull it back into a little ponytail (which was REALLY cute), and then she got used to having stuff in her hair. She generally leaves her ponytail or barrettes alone, and it's nice not to have to worry about trimming bangs every five minutes.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

kijip
11-12-2004, 11:22 PM
I am of the short hair for girls school of thought so I said no bangs. I figure if I have a girl she can have long hair when she is ready to care for it and can stand barettes.

brubeck
11-13-2004, 10:35 AM
My DD has such thin hair and had so little of it at that stage that to make bangs would have reduced her hair volume by 20%! So as it started getting longer I pulled back the front piece only (the part that would have been bangs) and pulled it into a small ponytail. How I got her to keep the elastic in is another story!

People thought the look was cute (like Cindy Lou Who). For a 2 year old this was fine. As her hair got longer the ponytail went further and further back on her head.

Sarah1
11-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Right now I'm on the fence about this. Audrey has always had bangs, mainly for the reason that she refuses to wear any kind of barrette, rubber band, etc. Lately, though, she's been into barrettes, so I'm tempted to grow out her bangs...but I probably won't because I don't want to have to deal with keeping track of barrettes all the time.

psophia17
11-13-2004, 09:31 PM
When my sister and I were little girls, my Mom chopped off our hair and we had the cutest pixie cuts ever. We both still have incredibly fine hair, and my Mom says that when we had baby hair, there was no keeping it out of tangles so she cut it off. Any daughter I have will likely have a pixie cut, too, because this logic makes sense to me :-)