PDA

View Full Version : Mac computer help needed!

jesseandgrace
11-13-2004, 11:20 PM
So we have a new ibook G4, and I am trying to post some pictures to sell some of my stroller collection on swap, but I can't figure out how to get the pictures attached to the e-mail. It seems like when I go into Iphoto under attachments, they are not showing up, even though they are in I Photo. It is so frustrating because this was easy to do on our ancient mac, but now I can't do it on the new one. Nothing is even showing up as a Jpeg file. TIA

Marisa6826
11-13-2004, 11:35 PM
You need to export your pics from iPhoto to your desktop or Photos folder first.

Click File, then Export, then size it (I usually go around 300x400 pixels), select JPEG (usually the one I do), name it and then it goes to your desktop (or wherever you send it).

From there, when you go to upload pics, click Browse, go to wherever you saved the pictures, click on it, select the option for JPEG and show in URL (for the picture to come up directly in the thread).

There you go!

-m

nohomama
11-14-2004, 01:07 AM
I do exactly what Marisa described if I'm trying to upload pics to a website. And since Yahoo doesn't allow you to attach pics to posts anymore you'll need to upload your pics this way too. But if you where to want to attach pictures to an email, you can actually just click on the "email" icon when in iPhoto and your email program will launch and open a new message with the pictures you selected attatched. The icon is located at the the bottom of the screen in the control strip in the "organize" section of iPhoto (you should see "import," "organize, "edit," and "book" above the control strip at the bottom of the screen.)

If you have more than a single picture you want to include, control click on each of the pictures. Once the pics are selected, click on the email icon and a screen will pop up that allows you to resize your pics. I do either 240x320 or 480x640 when emailing pics. After you've selected what size you want, click on "compose" and you're there.

pixelprincess
11-14-2004, 04:09 AM
Awesome choice of computer. Congratulations on your IBook purchase! Once you get it figured out it should be pretty quick. And you'll love Expose!!

Are you using Apple mail? Open a new message window. Use the attach button which lets you browse the HD.
> navigate to pictures
> IPhoto library
> 2004 (albums are set up by year- it must be the default as I haven't changed it)
> pick a numerical folder eg. 11
> pick subfolder eg. 2 (at that level you should see .jpg files, a thumbnails folder as well as data folder
> pick your .jpg

here is a screen shot that illustrates the path...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16959.jpg

Your file may be large based on the resolution it was shot at. If you need to resize it you can use Photoshop or any imaging software.

Similarly, you should be able to upload pics to sites like Ofoto, Snafish or Shutterfly directl y from IPhoto. You need to use the web browser for Snapfish or Ofoto and can upload 10 pics at a time (following the above steps). Shutterfly has a drag and drop app, that makes uploading pics a lot easier through IPhoto.

HTH. Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Marisa6826
11-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Sara-

This only works if you're using Mac's email program. I use Netscape and I have to do it the other way.

Just an FYI.

-m

pixelprincess
11-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Marisa,
Do you prefer Netscape mail to Apple mail? I used to look Outlook Express which seemed like a better program, though Apple mail isn't terrible.

papal
11-14-2004, 02:11 PM
I love Apple Mail.. much prefer it to Outlook!

Marisa6826
11-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Netscape mail actually sucks. They're always having problems with it.

It's just that Jonathan is the main user on our G4 (powerbook) and he needs to set up my account (I know more PC than Mac and he has all the master passwords in some cryptic code that I can't figure out ;) ).

One of these days...

-m

pixelprincess
11-14-2004, 07:03 PM
I won't bother with Netscape mail.

I am looking for another email client. Apple Mail isn't terrible...oh, well I have a soft spot for anything Apple. But it still has lots of bugs and fairly new at version 1.3 whatever. I preferred the Outlook interface for folder organization for multiple accounts, rules, etc.

Hee, hee sounds like Jonathan is keeping you off his Mac. Dh doesn't get to touch my G4 Powerbook. lol.

LD92599
11-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Have you tried Eudora? I keep meaning to switch to mail but since i've been using Eudora for so long I'm finding it hard to switch!

http://www.eudora.com

The only thing I don't like Eudora for it html mail, but if I am sure the mail is HTML then I choose file --> open in browser in order to see the email correctly!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

jesseandgrace
11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Thank you so much everyone! I tried to hit the little e-mail icon when I first tried and a message came up that I did not have my e-mail enabled or something. I might have to try to get apple e-mail if it will make sending photos to family easier. For now I will try to export it to the desktop. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

How do you get apple e-mail?

pixelprincess
11-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Apple mail comes with your computer. It came with my Powerbook. btw, you also have free phone support from Apple for 90 days, and longer if you got the extended Apple Care Service which is nice to have.