PDA

View Full Version : What did you/would you want to receive

corrie23
11-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Our friends just had baby #2. They now have 2 sons born 22 mos apart. Since the children are same gender, born in roughly the same season, and are close in age (therefore most new baby equiptment is still up to date and in fine condition) I'm a bit perplexed about what to send as a gift. We live in different states so I can't bring a meal or offer to provide child care. I'm sending a copy of the Philadelphia Chickens book/CD for their older son and baking several loaves of breakfast quick breads for the family, but what about new baby? I could send a nice lovey or blanket from little giraffe like this http://www.babybundle.com/chbl1.html or this http://www.babybundle.com/chbl.html but I crocheted a blanket for them for their first so I don't know if it's blanket overkill....other ideas have included a sling, a cute pair of 6-12 mos. Robeez for later, or whatever brilliant ideas I know you'll have!

TIA
-Corrie

Karenn
11-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Some friends sent us a Cookie Bouqet when DD was born and I thought that was a great gift! A little more exciting than flowers, but good for us since we already had all of the "gear" that we needed. [http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/] Our bouqet had 4 bears and each bear had the name of one of our family on it. It was really cute!

toomanystrollers
11-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Hmmmm, I definitely like the sling idea or how 'bout a gift certificate for Picture People or other photo-type places?

Marisa6826
11-14-2004, 05:27 PM
New onesies with a note saying that everybody deserves their own underwear!!!!

-m

macassi
11-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Hmm. I like the monogrammed towels (regular, not baby) that Lands End sells. Then each kid has his "own" towel later. Then again, I don't use official baby towels... so I may not be the best source.

Cute burp cloths with the name embroidered?

Gift certificate for dinner out.

Blankets aren't actually a bad idea because at 22 months the older son might not want to give up his blankets. I know friends who have had close kids have had to rebuy lots of blankets since the first was not about to donate "his or her" blankets to the new baby.

vikivoly
11-14-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm in the same situation as your friend, but with girls. The gifts I wanted the second time around have been the personalized or keepsake items. Things like baby's first curl, personalized piggy banks, personalized picture frames, etc. Since I had a shower with #1 I received lots of these items, but they are non-transferrable - IYKWIM? Another gift I wanted and received was a baby book for the second child.

brubeck
11-14-2004, 07:00 PM
I know this sounds unromantic but when people have #2 of the same gender I usually give diapers! I load up a bag with some size 1 diapers and wipes and Desitin. Then I make sure I give a gift receipt with it in case they don't like the brand I chose. But generally Moms of newborns are just grateful to have supplies so that they don't have to leave the house!

For Mom, I will give some nipple cream and body lotion.

pritchettzoo
11-14-2004, 07:02 PM
What about crocheting a blanket for the second son? I think handmade items like that are personal to the recipient in most cases. I just crocheted one for my friend's second son because her oldest still sleeps with his "Anna blanket." I used different color yarn to distinguish the two.

Anna

egoldber
11-14-2004, 07:26 PM
How about gift certificates to restaurants that do takeout? I think that with a newborn and two under two, that they will be eating a LOT of takeout!!

kelly ann
11-14-2004, 08:46 PM
I really like the sling idea as well...maybe because that is the one thing I really want to get this time around. I already have one, but I want a better one :) I also think some Robeez or Bobux would be nice since sometimes shoes do not pass down to other children well. Or maybe a gift card to Stride Rite.

sadie427
11-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Like the Robeez idea actually--even 0-6 mo size if they are in a cold climate, I think that would have been nice to have to keep socks on, for extra warmth (and cuteness) but not something I would have bought for myself. Or 6-12 mo size, since DS wore those to death and we won't be passing those on.

C99
11-15-2004, 12:43 AM
When my friend had her second, I sent "mommy stuff" and a small bear for the baby (which her oldest child then appropriated - LOL!). I think "mommy stuff" still acknowledges the birth of the baby without overwhelming them with more baby gear. By mommy stuff, I mean things that you wouldn't think to buy for yourself or have time to buy for yourself -- a pretty plant instead of flowers, lotions, candles, a handknit scarf for mom, etc.

cara1
11-15-2004, 01:05 AM
Our friends just had their second boy. I got a gift certificate to Sears photo studio (I know she goes there a lot) and a frame from BRU that says "Me and my brother". Also, two little outfits from Carter's on sale. We just had our second child, and I was amazed at how much of my first child's clothes is really disgusting. I mean, what was I thinking when I packed up all that poop-covered clothes? (Although I won't put it on her now, I still can't bring myself to throw it away...) Also, for DD, we got things like personalized piggy banks, stepstools, etc. I agree with the blanket comment. Even though DS doesn't use his blankets any more, he didn't like seeing them in her room ("No, MINE!").

tina-t
11-15-2004, 01:25 AM
I know that it is too practical but I really like the diapers as a gift idea.

mary b
11-15-2004, 07:41 AM
I agree with the others about praticality.. My girls are exactly 2 years apart and all I really needed was dipes, new onesies, burb clothes, and of course later on, new sippies.. I also love the gift certificates or bring food idea!!! VERY HELPFUL!!!
i also got some personalized girts too that were great!

feel free to ask any additional questions and definitely bring a small gift for the 2 year old.

mary

lukkykatt
11-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Some of my friends got together and gave me a gift cert to the Picture People - I thought that was terrific. I also agree with the personalized items. One thing that I loved (and is inexpensive) was a Baby's first year calendar with stickers - made it easier to note firsts until I could get them into the baby book (theoretically).

I also gave one of my friends a "sleep package" when she had her third child - I put in bedtime lotion, pj's for mom and baby, a sleep book for mom, a bedtime book for baby and a lovey.

jamsmu
11-15-2004, 09:22 AM
For most of my friends with 2(+) I give a diaper bag filled with little items they'll need. The one I'm currently putting together is a custom tote with a make-up bag inside. In the make up bag is chapstick, tylenol, a nail file, etc. Also, in the diaper bag is a personalized bib with baby's name (http://www.babysophiagifts.com), a few newborn diapers, small tube of diaper rash cream, and a sweatsuit. Additionally, I am giving the older boy a playdough toy.

american_mama
11-15-2004, 12:03 PM
The previous poster's idea gave me an idea. I just gave birth to #2, and I would like to have a nursing bag all made up for me. I meant to do this myself, but never did. In the bag, I'd put Kleenex, water for me, water for DD1, burp cloth, book for DD1, small toy for DD1, simple snacks for DD1, maybe a video for DD1, some breast pads, and some nipple cream. Just some basic necessities to make nursing easier for me and DD1. I also loved having a headset for my cordless phone when I was nursing; in fact, I wish that before sitting down to nurse, I always remember to bring the remote control and cordless phone right next to me. Perhaps you could get a universal remote?