PDA

View Full Version : Please help me. My baby is crying himself to sleep in my lap.

Saartje
11-16-2004, 12:37 AM
I don't know if it's just that he's missing DH, or if he's teething again; but he hasn't screamed like this in at least a month. And for the first time, nothing will console him: no paci, he won't nurse, no singing, walking w/ him doesn't help, no rocking. He's just screaming & sobbing w/ his eyes closed. Is there anything I can do?

Saartje
11-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Poor baby screamed himself to sleep. :( I wish I could have done something for him. Now I'm just holding very still, so as not to wake him up.

HannaAddict
11-16-2004, 12:57 AM
I hope he feels better after getting some rest. Have a better night.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

Judegirl
11-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Just wanted to send hugs...that's heartbreaking.

Lately I've been giving dd Tylenol when nothing else works...I hate to do it, but if I can't even distract her with tickling and playing with her feet, then I know she's in pain, and it's worked almost every time.

Hope it was just an unusually rough night,

Jude
P.S. Dd woke up and just started crying one morning when dh was away for the weekend. It was very weird, but it was the only time she's ever cried like that, really cried. I wouldn't be surprised if your son sensed your husband's absence somehow.

new_mommy25
11-16-2004, 02:52 AM
I'm so sorry. I've had moments like that with DS and I've always been at a complete loss of what to do. DH is always telling me I "have it easy" because I have the boobs, but he doesn't realise there are times when even nursing doesn't help.

Next time you can always try a little tylenol. It won't hurt him and it will make him feel better if it is teething related. I've also found popping in a Baby Einstein DVD to be distracting when DS is upset.

candybomiller
11-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Poor baby! I hope he's doing better now. It's so frustrating when nothing helps. :(

I've learned that sometimes Matt just has to cry himself to sleep. I HATE it, but sometimes he's just overtired and nothing I do can console him.

((HUGS)) to you and Isaac.

sntm
11-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Here is a great article -- hopefully will reassure you that you did the right thing by just being there and holding him.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0838/is_122/ai_112352791

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 17 months and counting

Saartje
11-17-2004, 12:12 AM
I really needed it last night.

Isaac was definitely missing his Daddy last night -- all day yesterday, really. He cried whenever I left the room, even for a minute, which he doesn't normally do, and wouldn't stay asleep unless I was holding him. He did that some today, too, but not as badly; I think he's getting used to it now. (Yesterday was the first full day DH has been gone.)

I did give him Tylenol in case teething was part of it while he was fussing to start with; but even if it was, he was too upset for a lack of pain to help. :(

He started to do it again tonight, but I managed to short-circuit things by laughing while I rocked him. First it distracted him (What in the world is Mommy up to?), and then he started to laugh back. He's sleeping peacefully now -- much more peacefully than he did after screaming himself to sleep last night.

Shannon -- thanks for the link to an interesting article. I wonder if it isn't overstating its case somewhat, but I suspect it does make a valid point.

tippy
11-17-2004, 12:50 AM
Hi, glad to hear Isaac is doing a bit better. I wanted to say that my ds gets like this when he is cutting or about to cut a tooth. There are some nights that even after I've gone into his nursery he will just continue to sit in his crib and scream and cry. I must admit that usually the only thing that will calm him down or give him any comfort is to nurse him. Let us know if you see any new pearly whites. If not, hang in there. Just like everything else, this will pass. :)