PDA

View Full Version : Whooping cough question---wwyd?

AngelaS
11-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Our city has 17 confirmed cases of pertussis in the two elementary schools and middle school that are closest to us. My pediatrician also says she's seeing LOTS of it in big kids. (My oldest is homeschooled so she's not around them...)

My dilemma is: do I vaccinate my 5 week old early? My ped says I can get all her 4 regular shots next week (if I just do pertussis, I'll have to take her in 3 weeks later for the other 3 shots) and also keep her 2 month check up. I want to stay out of the clinic as much as possible so I'm not sure I want to go 3X in one month to get all her shots/well baby check up appointments.

The other idea is to wait until 2 months and in the meantime stay home and avoid crowds and such. I'm trying to be careful and we're really only taking her to church (I know, I know). LOL Oh, and I AM breastfeeding her exclusively.

Would you vaccinate early?? Not vaccinating is NOT an option, so we don't need to go there. :D

amazz
11-16-2004, 01:57 PM
I would probably just keep her home and keep her 2 month appt. But I am a huge homebody so it doesn't really bother me not to go out. Kami hasn't been anywhere but the dr's office. Tim is hypersensitive about her going out so she hasn't! :) My pedi's office has all the well baby check ups at the beginning of the day or right after lunch to try to keep the sick children away from the well ones, especially the babies. Does your dr. do this or could you ask them about it?

FWIW I definitely would avoid having to go to the dr's office 3x's in a month!

Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

stillplayswithbarbies
11-16-2004, 02:08 PM
You should ask how long it takes for the vaccine to become effective. If there are a lot of cases now, getting the vaccine may not protect her until all those cases are over with anyway. The mini-epidemic might pass by before the shots take effect.

That is the piece of the information that I would need in order to make this decision if I were in your shoes.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

AngelaS
11-16-2004, 02:48 PM
She said 2 to 3 weeks.

Thatchermom
11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
As an aside, I would check into your own vaccination records and/or need of a booster! Adults are certainly not always as immune as they assume to be. I had Pertussis last winter and there is another mom on the board with it now. I can't tell you how glad I was that DS was immunized...if I had been the one to give it to him it would have been far worse than having it myself.