PDA

View Full Version : We are quitting the TV, cold turkey.. I hope I don't go insane.

papal
11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
I can't imagine not watching Apprentice, Survivor and Amazing Race. My dh is addicted to the evening news and the weather in the morning.

Anyone want to join us in a ONE WEEK WITHOUT TV challenge??

stella
11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
You're not getting many takers! I think it's a great idea and could do it myself, but dh is another story. He is so addicted to those poker shows that it's hard to get him to come to bed! It's driving me crazy!!

What has inspired you? And you'll start after Oprah's favorite things, won't you?

crayonblue
11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Hmmmm...I don't think I can give up the Apprentice or Amazing Race. And DH is really into the OC. I think that is because his parents wouldn't let him watch 90210!

Good luck! Think of all you can get done with the extra hours!

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Good luck...sorry no desire to join you though TV watching is not an issue thank god that has never surfaced in this house...

But we'll be cheering you on (from the sofa) :)...
Keep us posted I'd love to hear how it goes :)

I'm already stressing over missing Survivor and Amazing Race while in Ukraine...everything else I can live without.

Big hugs,

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

aliceinwonderland
11-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Rashmi!!

Well, I am joining you by default. I have no time whatsoever to watch TV. Last thing I watched as a Soprano rerun 2 weeks ago.

I don't miss it. Honestly I think I could live with no TV in the house...Maybe...

brittone2
11-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Rashmi...we're with you as you know from the "turning off the electronic toys" thread :) I was getting pretty addicted to several shows, but within 2-3 days I haven't felt as drawn to the box in the living room ;) I am also already feeling calmer and more at peace. I hadn't noticed TV was having a negative effect on me in that regard, but apparently it was.

I'll keep checking in to see how you are doing with the tv turnoff...I hope it brings you the same kind of peace.

papal
11-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Ack.. nope.. no Oprah show either... how will I survive?!!!
I will definitely be scrapbooking or making cards or something else.

Well, the whole thing with getting rid of Leela's toys led to this step. You know, dh and me will sit in front of the tv in the evenings.. sometimes 2-3 hours at a time because we are bored. Well, it just is not working because it is 10p and then dh goes to bed and I am up till 12.00 because I _have_ to watch the end of WifeSwap or some such thing and my mind doesn't really wind down... and I am checking the boards.. it is just crazy. Also, with the holidays coming, all those Target and Old Navy commericals are driving me insane!

I used to be such an avid reader before... with the tv, that has gone down the toilet. I have so many unread books it is sad.

Thank goodness we don't have cable.. i used to watch all those home improvement shows all the time!!

papal
11-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Beth.. you and Jessica and waldorf have been my inspiration...I know we can do this.. i want the peace I had before the TV came into our lives!

marit
11-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Well... ever since I got pregnant I am so tired I faint every evening around 9:30 PM! so I watch much less TV. But I was thinking we should definitely send DD to a rehab... That's the first thing she asks for in the morning. One day we'll just remove the TV from our living room!

babymama
11-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Cold turkey? Wow! You're more woman than I am. Good for you!

I once saw a SNL skit with Dolly Parton where they were all sitting around a campfire telling stories. Dolly Parton kept telling stories that she thought her mom had made up, only they were straight out of TV shows like Mr. Ed and Lassie. She had obiously never seen the shows and thought her mom was the best story teller ever!

We're trying to limit DS's exposure to TV, and I sometimes worry that he'll be socially awkward because of it. I was a total TV junkie growing up. I'm now embarrased by how much TV I would watch back in the day. My mom was afraid of having me outside playing (because of the rough n'hood we lived in), so instead I stayed inside and watched TV *all the time*. It's a wonder that I'm not a zombie.

Actually, I haven't been watching much tv lately. I don't turn it on if DS is around - except for Signing Time and baby Einstein videos. By the time I get him to sleep, make myself a little dinner, load/unload the dishwasher, wipe off the counters, and check email/BBB Board...it's past my bedtime. I will try to make it through the first 8 minutes of the Daily Show, but I'm usually too sleepy by then.

We got Netflix and am struggling to find time to watch the movies. It sucks when I pick a bad movie bc time is so precious. Most of the time it takes me days to get through one movie.

Are videos also off limits in your tv-free week? I'll do my best here to explain the action on Amazing Race for you (like Dolly Parton telling stories around the campfire). I haven't been catching Apprentice and Survivor lately, but if I do, I'll give you the low-down on those too.

OK, I'm rambling now. Good luck Rashmi.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

Saartje
11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
I wish I could join you! We don't normally watch television at all, just the occasional DVD (and I think we've watched 2-3 of those since Isaac was born -- they wake him up if he's asleep, and if he's awake, he wants to watch, so we turn it off) and I love it that way.

But I'm leaving Saturday to go to Arkansas for Thanksgiving... and I know I'm going to be subjected to all kinds of television, since my family and DH's family both have the TV on all the time. :(

I hope you find you enjoy it, Rashmi. Good luck!

jec2
11-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Oh, what a brave, brave person! I have to admit that although we watch tv in the eve to unwind we really don't turn the tv on until then. We don't watch morning tv or daytime tv (save the occasional oprah!). We have also tried to make it a point to just turn it off if we feel that we getting cranky, bored or over-stimulated by having it on. I totally here you, however, on taking the time to do other, more productive things. I've now been trying to clean for the first 15 minutes of a show as a sort of weaning mechanism. I find that I wind up getting caught up in cleaning and less interested in wasting my time on a stupid show. But, NO APPRENTICE!!!!!! How can you do it? NO AMAZING RACE!? Come on, this is QUALITY programming! LOL!

Marisa6826
11-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Uh, nope. Not joining you. Not when I have to entertain an almost two year old for 12 hours a day ;).

Girlie I'm starting to get worried about you. First no cable, then switching to Vonage, now no diamonds and no TV?

What's next? A brownie strike??!!!

Say it isn't so!!!! :P

-m

amp
11-18-2004, 02:52 PM
NO WAY am I joining you on this! Sheesh, first it was giving up the boards temporarily, then the noisy toys, and now TV. You are making me look bad! :P

Sarah1
11-18-2004, 02:59 PM
OMG Rashmi...does this mean you will not be watching the BACHELOR SEASON FINALE?????????????????????????????

I wish you luck. I know what you mean about time wasted on TV, though. Last night I was proud of myself for turning off the TV before I could get sucked into that IDIOTIC Wife Swap show. I've watched it twice and I think I lost brain cells.

rrosen
11-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Girlie,
I love you but there is no way I am joining you on this one either!
Hmmm with no T.V. or other distractions could a sibling for Leela be far behind? I mean what else will you do with all that time }(

And I am with M, if you start giving away all of your worldly possessions I am going to start getting worried! Have you been hitting Anna's crack?

mysweetboy
11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Rashmi, I wish I could join you but I'm just too weak. ;) I will try to wean myself from having the tv on during the day though. I like having it on for the background noise but music would work much better!

Good luck!

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 6 months old!

nwaddellr
11-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Ooh - and I thought we were doing so well by giving up Dish Network and just sticking with network TV.

papal
11-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Never! Never will there be a brownie strike. Though.. i no longer eat sugar.. just the Splenda.. maybe that is what is making me insane?!! I am unusually energetic today.
You forgot the noisy toys. Basically we are becoming hermits. The only thing left is to wear loin-cloths and sit around all day.. muhahahaha.

papal
11-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Sarah! I did not watch the Bachelor much at all this season. That guy was too woodsy looking for me. haha.
I saw the idiotic wifeswap last night and I think that was the straw that broke the papals back. Seriously, can there BE a more mediocre show?!!

Marisa6826
11-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Loin cloths? Doesn't that mean having to break out a razor?

If you'd take bikini shaving over TV, then I"m really, truly worried about you!!! :P

-m

jk3
11-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Nope. We are addicted to the OC so the tv will be on tonight! We did, however. survive 6 weeks without a TV when my DS was a newborn. It was much easier for me since my Dh is a tv addict. I think you'll enjoy the week.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

papal
11-18-2004, 03:33 PM
That Anna has been not been very good about sharing her crack stash so sadly i think it is the sugar-deprivation that is making me insane.

Oh, and abou 'siblings on the way'.... haha... well, you NEVER know do ya?!
I just got a mental image of adults in loin cloths that have been snappied. This splenda IS crack methinks.

Leela's old but new favourite toy is the playsilk that I got from Juliet.... suddenly she LOVES it.. maybe because there is nothing else to play with. My poor baby!!! heehee.

steph2003
11-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Rashmi -
I'm laughing because you know what has replaced my TV watching???!

These *amn boards! Truly....my DH begs me to come uptairs & sit with him in front of the boob tube but I'm too busy lurkng & sometimes posting on these boards. So if I give up TV do I have to give up the internet as well?! cause I can do the TV at this point but not the internet. I've often told my DH we should try no TV for a week or so but he is just not game.

I used to read a lot too....I have a whole list of "wish I had time to read books."

cinrein
11-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Not me. I don't have the TV on during the day. I will sometimes let Anna watch a 20 minute Oobi show (she loves it) or Sesame Street, but don't make it a daily habit. My shows are ANTM, Amazing Race, The Apprentice, ER and Desperate Housewives--all after Anna's bedtime. I finally broke up with Survivor this season. Aside from that, the TV is off.

Good luck girlie. I bet you won't go back to TV.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

JLiebCamm
11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Nathan pretty much has already caused us to quit watching TV! We used to be able to watch it while he played, but ever since he turned 20 months old or so, he wants to mess with the TV constantly. Our best solution is to keep it off as much as possible (and when it is on, it's usually his shows). I don't mind except for the fact that we just bought TiVo this summer and now I feel like it's going to waste!

ginalc
11-19-2004, 07:52 AM
I've never seen the Apprentice, Survivor, or Amazing Race and I can guarantee that my life feels complete! :)

I shut the TV off all summer. DH likes to watch an evening news program and we usually tape it and watch at least some of it together after the little ones are in bed.

I only watch one show a week right now. I generally tape it and watch it with my oldest DD without commercials. Most TV is not fit to watch with children (oldest DD is 14 yo) IMO. We quit watching TV years ago after viewing an episode of Friends together. Enough said.

gina, mom to 3
new baby due 5/05

Elilly
11-19-2004, 08:27 AM
DH freaks out when I talk about not paying for cable anymore. No ESPN Sports Center would do him in apparently. He's out of town right now, but I think this is a great idea. Maybe when he gets back, we'll give it a try. As for now, I need "grown-up" time!

ETA: Okay, I lied. I can't do it. That would mean no CSI, west wing, oc, er, amazing race, and lost (my newest fave). Sorry! You are a better woman than I am!

Elilly
11-19-2004, 08:30 AM
LOVE the OC. So trashy yet innocent. I'm hooked and DH watches more than he'll admit.

sntm
11-19-2004, 10:05 AM
what's the website? i am a somewhat reformed TV addict, who needs more help. no cold turkey, but want to be better about not watching the stuff i don't really like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 17 months and counting

brittone2
11-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Rashmi-
How are you holding up???????? ;) The first few days are the hardest, I promise!!

I didn't even cave on the Apprentice last night. My original plan was to only watch 2 shows a week (DH loves NYPD Blue, I like it too, and I am into the Apprentice this year), but we decided we actually didn't even miss it once we decided to go without it.

Yep, we're officially off the deep end ;) I'm sure that on THanksgiving when we explain the TV is no longer hooked up MIL will insist I'm abusing our DS LOL ;)

Isn't that anti TV website awesome???? You really have to read that book Endangered Minds by Healy. It has totally made me more aware of how consciously the media manipulates our kids' minds. I wasn't one who was really into that type of thinking until recently, but I feel like my eyes have really been opened. There was info in the book from one of the creators of Sesame Street about how almost all the research that goes into that show isn't geared toward education, but rather how best to make sure that kids stayed glued to the screen. They had a screen next to the TV where they flashed various brightly colored slides, and they gauged their "success" by how well they could keep the kids glued to the TV and not looking at the flashing color slides. THey also mentioned that is why Sesame Street switches constantly every 30 seconds what skit is going on at almost a frantic pace, and why there is no connection between one skit and the next. One of the creators (who no longer works on SS) admitted that they don't want kids to process what is going on, they want them to watch but not have time to think, because if they think...they might lose them:( They also talked about a little study they did...60 kids watched a skit in which several deaf children were present. The skit was about these kids being deaf, they spelled out letters with their bodies, etc. To an adult, I guess it was relatively clear that the kids were deaf. After the skit, they asked the kids about what they saw. ONE chld out of 60 even realized that the children shown couldn't hear. The book explains how many shows put on an appearance of being educational, but actually consciously research and figure out how to manipulate our kids into not thinking, because once they think about what they've seen, they might look away from the screen. EEEK. The book talks about the connection between the image changing on the screen every 7 seconds and dwindling attention spans (and the upsurge in attentional problems like ADHD).

Amazing. And sad. Very sad :(

8isenough
11-19-2004, 10:50 AM
You are one very brave woman. Good luck. :)

Sterling

brittone2
11-19-2004, 11:29 AM
The website is www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com. Lots of articles on why it is important to pair back and simplify your childrens' toys, and a lot of good articles on the negatives of TV viewing. I don't agree with all the principles of waldorf, but right now I'm finding a lot of inspiration in the simplicity it encourages. I've always had an interest in their ideas, but only recently found this particular website. Lots of food for thought on there. Even if Waldorf isn't your "thing", the info on that site is pretty interesting and thought provoking.

I definitely recommend the books Endangered Minds: Why Our Children don't Think and What we can Do about It" by Healy (I think that is the title, my book is upstairs ;) ) I also just requested the 2002 edition of The Plug in Drug by Winn, which is supposed to be very good. Just in case anyone is interested in reading.

aliceinwonderland
11-19-2004, 11:31 AM
I don't watch TV by default, but wnat to convince DH re our son...

Sarah1
11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
I know what you mean. I reeeeaaaally hated the guy in the first episode, but he's actually kind of grown on me, but yeah, he does come off as kind of "woodsy" :)

As for Wifeswap...what irritates me is how much they all complain with the "rule changes", and I'm like, helloooo??????? YOU signed up for this! And then *I* feel like a moron because I spent my time watching the idiot parade.

McQ
11-19-2004, 06:56 PM
You are INSANE!!! I'd sooner cut off my own arm than give up tv.

Stop reading that Waldorf stuff. Why do I have a feeling I'm gong to have to come over and swoop you out of there :)

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

papal
11-19-2004, 07:36 PM
heehee... you crack me up McQ! :)

I think it is the Splenda... it is making me insane.
I always have the boards which means I have Hannas and Keccis. Hey, maybe we should do a thread with A-Z of things we bought because of these boards!

So far so good. But we are getting antsy with no tv...we are actually talking to each other about different things.. current topic... danskos.

brittone2
11-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Danskos....it must be getting desperate around there if your DH is talking about them with you LOL ;)

pritchettzoo
11-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Rashmi, you're talking to your HUSBAND about SENSIBLE SHOES. Put down the Splenda and go toward the brownies. Sugar + Butter + Chocolate = Sanity.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

luvbeinmama
11-20-2004, 12:46 AM
It's not actually that bad. You will find other things to fill up the time (like these boards :P). Kids are flexible, they can find other things to do. I've been 4 years without cable. We watch an occassional movie or video for the kids, but that's it. And I was a 2 am channel flipper! And I like not being bombarded with the news at home. There are plenty of other ways to get it.

So, I just wanted to say, I'm behind you, girl! :)