PDA

View Full Version : I have a Thanksgiving WWYD.......

mharling
11-18-2004, 02:44 PM
We are hosting Thanksgiving this year and it will be very small. Dh's aunt and uncle (who live very close) will not be attending although they were invited.

I have been e-mailing with his aunt about something else and last night she asked if it would be OK if they stopped by later on to 'say hi and have a drink'. What this really means is 'hang out at your house for a few hours and have more than *a* drink'. I don't have a problem with the drinking, but these are the people that never get the clue when it's time to leave.

They were at dh's birthday party 2 years a go when we announced that we were expecting. They lingered and lingered and lingered (long after everybody else had left) and she even kept commenting to me about how tired I looked. Gee, I'm 11 weeks pregnant and have been cooking and entertaining all day, you think I might be tired?????

Telling them no is not an option, but is there a way I can phrase it to try to give them a clue that they're not welcome into the wee hours of the night? Suggestions of things to say once they've overstayed their welcome would also be helpful. Thanks!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

kelly ann
11-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Mary,

Maybe you can tell them that you have plans later on to go to a neighbor's house for dessert or coffee. Or you can tell them it is Lane's bath or bed time and both you and DH put him down as a family.

If that doesn't work, just go upstairs and change into your PJs. They should get the hint after that.

jbowman
11-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Mary--good suggestion from previous poster. Could you e-mail, "sure stop by for an hour late in the afternoon and we can hang out until Lane's bedtime!"

HTH! Happy Thanksgiving! I hate people who don't know when to leave!

mudder17
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh, that's a great suggestion! I don't have too many people that do that, but it does work when you tell them, well, it's time for Kaya to go to bed, so I'll see you later. And it works better if Kaya is being fussy. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

jubilee
11-19-2004, 03:08 AM
I'd say that I have early morning Day-After-Thanksgiving shopping to do, so we plan on winding down about 10 pm, but you're welcome to stay until then. And where's Lane's cutie pic? Your avatar is missing :(

new_mommy25
11-19-2004, 03:21 AM
Ok, maybe this is just me, but I would have said. "I'm really tired and am going to bed. Thanks for coming. Good night". Then I would leave the room and go get ready for bed. Your Dh can take it from there. After all, it's his aunt anyway. I do this all the time when DH's friends come over and nobody cares or thinks it rude.