PDA

View Full Version : 9 mos and still not crawling?

ErinMC
11-18-2004, 04:41 PM
DS is now 9 months old, and STILL isn't crawling. He's not scooting, he's not rocking back and forth on all fours, he's not creeping, NOTHING. He just has no interest. He's content to sit on the floor and play with his toys and if something is out of his reach (which we sometimes do, to encourage him to move a little), he'll yell in frustration for a couple of minutes, then turn his attention to another toy and be perfectly content.

I should say that we aren't really concerned about his actual development - I know that crawling isn't a *real* milestone and that many babies skip crawling and go right to walking. (He also hasn't pulled himself to stand yet, either, but will stay standing if we put him next to the coffee table and he can hold on.)

But I'm curious, for those parents whose babies didn't crawl by this age, did they crawl at all? If so, when? Or did they go straight to walking?

TIA!

lmariana
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Never fear! Gabriel didn't start crawling until 9.5 months, and then started walking at 13 mo. It just started out of no where. We just saw him doing it one day! Like you said, it's not a real milestone. It will happen at the right time! Until then, just sit back and enjoy the last few moments you will ever have of a child that sits still. :)

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
Join the Babybags Swap group! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/join

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

jk3
11-18-2004, 05:31 PM
My Ds did not start crawling until after 9 months. His first crawl was commando style + he didn't crawl in the conventional way until 10.5 months. He learned to pull up at 11 months, took his first steps at just under 13 months and walked well by 14 months. As first time parents, we were worried that he was a late crawler but in hindisght, I'm glad he wasn't more mobile at an earlier age. Now he's running + climbing all over the place!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

cmo
11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
DD didn't start crawling until 11 months or so, and didn't start walking until 16 months. Now she won't slow down! She was also big for her age (95+ percentile), so I always wondered if some of it was because she had more body mass to control/move around. She was the last one in her playgroup to walk. Her doctor wasn't concerned, since she was normal in other areas. Moral of the story: it all turned out OK in the end!

sdjeppa
11-18-2004, 05:49 PM
My son didn't start crawling until about 10 months, but would roll for about a month before that...and at almost 14 months, still isn't walking, just pulling up and cruising! Your son sounds a lot like him - DS is very content too, and if he couldn't reach something, he would just play with something else. Don't worry - and believe me, it will change!

Jenny, Mommy to Zachary 9-27-03

ErinMC
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. I'll be showing DH this thread tonight. :-)

wilelm
11-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Miriam didn't crawl until 10 months, she rolled for a little while before that. She walked at 15 months. I was anxious about it at the time, but once she started, wished she hadn't!

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
Oliver, due 01/17/05

Sarah1
11-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Audrey was the same way. We were convinced she would never crawl since she seemed more comfortable pulling herself up and cruising than she did being on her tummy.

But lo and behold, at about 10-10.5 months, she started to crawl, and she was an UNBELIEVABLY FAST crawler. SHe amazed us.

She started walking at about 14 months, and running about a month later, and SHE HAS NEVER STOPPED...so relax and enjoy...once your little guy starts moving your life becomes a lot trickier!!! :)

jubilee
11-19-2004, 02:47 AM
My son didn't crawl until he was about 11 months old, then walked at 14 months. He is now 19 months and into everything! Not crawling was great at Christmas last year, I didn't worry about the tree at all.

ett
11-20-2004, 04:33 PM
My DS didn't crawl until 11 months and at 15 months now, he's still not walking. We just had our 15 month appointment yesterday and the ped was not concerned at all. She did check to make sure there was nothing wrong developmentally. I think it's because DS crawls really well and can get anywhere with crawling and cruising. I'm also a first time mom and feel anxious sometimes because it seems like I have the biggest baby who isn't walking yet. But I know DS will do it when he's ready and probably do it well too.

I'm sure your DS will crawl in no time. In the meanwhile, enjoy the time that he's not getting into everything! :)

lizajane
11-20-2004, 06:34 PM
schuyler didn't crawl until 10 months. (maybe 10.5?) he walked at 13 months. and now he runs everywhere! he crawled and walked later than his friends, but he has done other things before they have. so doncha worry. maybe he will start talking early! you never know.

vikivoly
11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
DD didn't crawl until she was 13 months old and started walking about 1 1/2 months later. We did have a pediatric PT come to the house to encourage her to get moving.