PDA

View Full Version : Anybody a member of Lifetime Fitness?

sugarsnappea
11-19-2004, 08:03 AM
I know this should be in Mommyfit, but this forum gets more traffic. I am contemplating joining this gym. I need to make some rather big changes in my life. JG isn't in preschool yet, DH is getting home really late, and I am in desperate need of some MAMA TIME. But, I am a little hesitant because the childcare situation. I must admit, free babysitting is a draw, but I am a little squeamish about germs. I worry that my kids are going to be sick all the time. DH worries that they won't have adequate supervision. It is a 12 to 1 (children to caregivers) for walking and up. It is 4 to 1 for infants. I would wait until Noraa is one year old before joining.
Is anyone here a member that can tell me the scoop about Lifetime?
Or tell me if I am being crazy, overprotective, or just plain ludicrous?
Part of me thinks, I should just suck it up, the kids are going to get sick anyway. I should let them build up their resistance now. But then, I think, I have a hard time watching 2 children, how on earth is one person going to watch 12 kids jumping around?
Any advice appreciated. :)

JMarie
11-20-2004, 10:18 AM
I've been a member at LifeTime for around three years and I just love it. Aidan has been going to their child care center since he was three months old. He loves it. They are really great about cleaning the toys, at least at the three locations I've used (another plus - you can visit ANY LifeTime gym, not just the one where you signed a contract). Aidan has never picked up anything more than a runny nose from the center, and there was a point when he was at the gym twice a day, five days a week (DH and I had opposite work schedules).

They were also great about putting my membership on hold when I was pregnant and placed on restrictions by my OB. I highly recommend joining and I think you will love it. Not to mention being able to take the kids to a pool in the middle of winter! It's Aidan's favorite. HTH!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

egoldber
11-20-2004, 12:50 PM
I am also a LifeTime Fitness member. I like them a lot and I think that the child care is perfectly adequate for a couple hours a few times a week. The older kids mainly entertain themselves honestly, and the "adults" are there to make sure no one gets hurt, LOL! My DD also goes to preschool so it would be hard for me to tell where she got what, but she has been very lucky and has really only gotten a couple minor colds in the last year and a half of gym going and preschool.

I would honestly NOT wait until she is 1 to join. A BIG mistake I made was waiting to go regularly until she was too old. When I tried to start going regularly when she was about 18 months, she hated the group situation and would not let me leave her there. So I basically wasted the membership for several months. After she had been in preschool for awhile though, she was more accustomed to the large group situation. The next baby I will DEFINTELY take them early and be very consistent about going a lot so that they are used to it.

HTH,

sugarsnappea
11-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Thank you ladies for your input. I guess my biggest concern is the amount of supervision for the baby. If she starts walking, she goes from a 1 to 4 infant to caregiver ratio to an 1 to 12. This makes me a little anxious. Right now she is very clingy, and likes to be held a lot. I think I will try it out and see how she/they do. :)