PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Passports

Marisa6826
11-21-2004, 07:10 PM
I saw that mine is set to expire this month (I used it for ID when voting). I would just renew by mail, but I need to change it to my married name.

Do I have to go through the whole application process all over again? I'd prefer to get one when I don't need it, just so that I don't have to worry about it in case of some sort of emergent situation and then need to scramble. Should I get one for Sophie while I'm at it?

What happens to your old one? Do they confiscate it? It has the stamps in there for the first time I ever went abroad and would love to keep it as a memento.

I know that I could go look online someplace, but I figured you Girlies would be in the know.

-m

urquie
11-21-2004, 07:24 PM
i just went through that whole proccess. mine was about to expire and i needed to change to my married name. i decide to get dd one at the same time because i wouldn't be going anywhere with out her. i just went in person to the passport place, with most everything already filled out. i was able to do it all there and they mailed me back my stamp filled, retired passport... which i told them i would pretend to lose unless they were certain i'd get the old one back :)

luvmypeanut
11-21-2004, 07:24 PM
When they send you the new passport they will also send you the old one. They punch holes in the cover to indicate it is no longer valid.

DD has a passport but we live overseas so it's a must. If you travel a lot I would get one for Sophie. It also acts as identification should you ever need one for her.

I think you can renew with your married name, although I can't be 100% certain. My old one had my name change on the last page and when I renewed I'm pretty sure I didn't have to re-apply. Hopefully, someone else has a definitive answer for you.

deenass
11-21-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm almost positive that when I renewed mine and changed it to my married name I had to send in an ORIGINAL marriage certificate (which they sent back with my old passport).

jbowman
11-21-2004, 08:36 PM
I bet all you have to do is renew it with your new name. And they will send you the old one back with holes punched in it.

My passports are among my most prized possessions--tangible proof that I've really been all of those fabulous places, so I wanted to keep mine too!

Totally off-topic, but my passport expired the day Ellie was born. I think that is so strange that all of those years I looked at that date and I had no idea what significance it would have!