PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I saw outside my window today and other weekend drama

Marisa6826
11-21-2004, 07:44 PM
I've been in one hellaciously bitchy mood since yesterday - more on that in a second - and it was only topped today to be awoken by chain saws next door.

It seems my neighbours are going to go through with an addition right on top of my property line and felt compelled to cut down THREE 100+ year old trees. Two kind of crappy evergreens and then one absolutely majestic oak. I was actually heartbroken to see the oak go. The husband admitted to me that there really wasn't any reason for the oak to go, other than his bitch wife not liking the leaves on her patio. The nerve!!

So, I'm looking out the window, mourning that poor tree, when out come about six wild turkeys!! They actually walked up to my neighbours' lawn sat there and watched the tree guys! If that wasn't just the strangest thing. They weren't even afraid of the chain saws (I guess they haven't checked their calendars to see what Thursday is ;) ).

So about yesterday. The three of us went to NYC to get my haircut. Sophie was supposed to also get hers trimmed. Well, I went, armed with a photo of what I wanted - not dramatically different than what I had, but with longer layers. Well my hair dresser decided to do what he wanted anyway and without me realising what he was doing (he started from behind) cut SIX INCHES off my hair. It took everything I had to not start sobbing in the chair and then beat him to within an inch of his life. I've been going to him for over sixteen years and he KNOWS better than to pull a stunt like that. Then he started in with saying that Sophie was too afraid of him to even attempt to cut her bangs. I was so angry at that point I didn't even care. I STILL had to pay for the cut, but I am NOT going back to him. The SOB actually pulled Jonathan aside thinking that I was angry about Sophie and not my hair. Jonathan wasn't aware of any of the drama, since he had been chasing Sophie for almost two hours while I was unknowingly being butchered.

The whole evening culminated with me going to the L&D ward for an emergency non-stress test because I hadn't felt Amelia move all day. She's fine though.

I'm still licking my wounds. I just about cry everytime I look in the mirror :( x(.

-m

MelissaTC
11-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry girlie. I bet your hair looks fab! But I understand why you would be upset.

At least you didn't stumble into a crime scene. Yup, a crime scene. Only me...

jbowman
11-21-2004, 08:33 PM
That stinks, Marisa. I had my hair cut yesterday & am always reminded about what an emotional experience it is for me (even when I actually LIKE the haircut!), but I can't imagine how you feel. I would be particularly annoyed because this guy had been cutting your hair for so long!

Big hugs!

Marisa6826
11-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Crime scene? I thought you weren't seeing your ILs till December!!!! :P

Do tell!!

-m

momathome
11-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Yikes, Marisa, sounds like you had a fabulous weekend. ;) Hang in there, girlie, you have nowhere to go but up and I am sure your hair looks beautiful anyway, even if it was NOT what you wanted. FWIW, I hate getting my hair cut and I know I have to do it this week and I am just dreading it - I hate the loss of control! Take care and have a nice Thanksgiving!

barbarhow
11-21-2004, 08:44 PM
OOOOhhhhhhhhh.....NOthing worse than a hairdresser who decides to do his own thing! You should have turned his shears on him! I am so sorry. There is nothing worse than a haircut you don't like and especially in the last minutes of a pregnancy when you a looking for a pick me up not a knock me down. And God help anyone who tells you "Oh well, it will grow...." Yeah. And tomorrows another day.
Hugs to you. Sorry about your hair. Love the turkey story, though.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

marinkitty
11-21-2004, 11:50 PM
ACK! I would have felt so betrayed if my hairstylist had done that!!! How totally awful and even worse to do it to someone just weeks away from having a baby! While I'm sure it looks great, Marisa, I am mentally kicking him in the shins for you!!!!

Oh - and my folks used to have a flock of wild turkeys that sat in their trees for a few weeks every fall. They were the oddest birds - not afraid of anything or anyone. They would stand in the middle of the driveway and refuse to move even when being honked at and nearly run over. There were days my mother couldn't take her car out, literally. For some reason about three years ago, they stopped showing up - maybe some fed up homeowner finally ran them over.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

ellies mom
11-22-2004, 02:47 AM
I got one of those hair cuts while I was seven months pregnant. That was also the day DH first brought up selling my beloved home. I cried every time I looked in the mirror, or at my beautiful old molding, or my crystal door knobs. Yup, that really bites. I feel for you.

bluej
11-22-2004, 07:23 AM
I'm sorry about the big beautiful old oak tree! Your neighbor needs to move into a new treeless development if she isn't going to appreciate those trees!

My parents have wild turkey's that come up to their yard all of the time. Mom always wondered why they weren't afraid of the dog. Dad informed her that they gave Larry a good @** kicking one day and now they all live in peace.

And your hair! I bet it looks great but I totally understand about being shocked and upset. Hopefully in a couple of days you'll like your hair, but that won't change the fact that your hairdresser was wrong wrong wrong!

MelissaTC
11-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Crime scene at Duke...in the clinic...I was walking in the very large, deserted building when I stumbled upon police tape and some men who informed me that it was a crime scene and I was not able to cross. I freaked out and had to go upstairs to take a different elevator back down. Talk about excitement at the RE office...

McQ
11-22-2004, 08:40 AM
I bet you still look gorgeous! That really sucks tough.

But hey, at least you're not a turkey :)

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

zuzu
11-22-2004, 10:21 AM
What a lousy weekend! I'm sure your hair still looks great, but what a disappointment, especially after you had been seeing him for so long! Well, I can join you in you hair blues . . . a couple of weeks ago mine was chopped too short with too many layers and something way to close to a bang (!) and I was livid, but had only seen this stylist a few times.

Boo on your neighbors!! Sad wild turkey story for you. Last May we were in Vermont visitng my mom and DH was driving down the road (in his FIL's new BMW, no less) and by the time we saw what had run out in front of us, it was too late to avoid it, short of driving into a ditch, which he wasn't going to do with Sarah in the back. He followed the wild turkey into the woods, and sadly, we don't think the bird made it. The car was quite a mess too. We were so afraid that when asked that the turkey said, Sarah would say "gobble, gobble, THUD!" ;)

Hope you have a better week! :)

Hugs,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Marisa6826
11-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Oh dear! I know that here if you hit a deer, you can techinically take them home for venison.

A whole new meaning to drive thru, huh? :P

-m

momma_boo
11-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Does your town have any regulations regarding tree removal? I know in my town, to cut down a tree of a certain size, you have to get permission and also plant another tree somewhere.

I'm sorry about your debacle with the hairdresser. I'm sure it looks great. I also just got my haircut last weekend and think it looks pretty awful. (Looks awesome if someone blow dries it and works on it for 20 minutes, but with my time constraints and current hair regiment of wash and go, it looks like a mess).

zuzu
11-22-2004, 11:14 AM
I'll say!

My mom jokes that this year she'll send out DH early Thursday morning with the car to "get" the turkey for dinner. :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Marisa6826
11-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Don't know about any tree regulations. It's too late anyway. They're gone! :(

-m

steph2003
11-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Marisa -
I'm mourning the loss of your locks & the oak tree....

the good news is your fabulous hair (I remember your posting your preggo picture) will grow back - but the oak, well that is gone :( shame on your neighbors!

I bet your hair looks fantastic anyway,, how could it not - it looked so thick & healthy in your picture.

Marisa6826
11-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Oh Steph. I wish. I tried washing and just blow drying it just now and it was just horrible.

I think on top of it all, he just gave me a really, really crappy haircut. I actually took the time and put velcro rollers in it and it's just *marginally* and I do mean MARGINALLY better. But there's no way I'm doing that every freaking time I wash it.

I think I'll be having a very long affair with my pony tail holders. x( x(

*sigh*

psophia17
11-22-2004, 01:55 PM
After my C/S, I lived in pony tail holders. Then I had my appendix out, and I was just too worn out to deal with my hair. I got a pixie cut, and although I'm growing it out now, it was definitely worth it...

Do you know any other stylist who could fix it up for you? I'd call mine, but I'm guessing you're not up to flying to Vancouver.

And your neighbor sounds like a pill - I hope the Turkey's pooped all over her patio ;)

steph2003
11-22-2004, 02:00 PM
I think some delicious brownies are in order!!!

I have a long going affair with hair clips - in fact when we were posting pics of ourselves I couldn't find one with my hair down! sad but true.

I do know that sinking feeling of a haircut gone wrong though so I sympathize :(

babymama
11-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Well, I know what you mean about your haircut bc I got my hair hacked when I was like 6 months pregnant. Like you, I had to hold my breath when she was done in order to NOT cry. I went from long straight hair to a sort-of young Elvis look - puffy on top short on sides. The only way I could get it to look half-way right was to curl it - which sucked bc I'm not much of a hair maintenance person. Now looking back, it wasn't that bad. Good news is that your pre-natal vitamins will make your hair grow like crazy (i'm sure you already know that). THe short hair became my major motivator to take my vitamins. So sorry that you'll now have to find someone else you trust - it's hard to find a good hairdresser.

I believe in karma, and cutting down a 100 year old oak for no reason
will have it's karmetic (word?) consequences on those folks. So sad!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03