PDA

View Full Version : Random - and embarrassingly dumb - questions....

Judegirl
11-22-2004, 12:06 AM
These are some of the things I should know by now, but don't...can anyone help?

1. Does sitting unsupported/unassisted mean that she no longer needs to be propped against me? Or that she doesn't fall to one side or the other? Or that she can get from lying down to sitting up all by herself?

2. What's a board book?

3. How do you change a baby who keeps flopping over face-first on the changing table, in the blink of an eye?

4. Are there shoe-type things to keep babies' feet warmer than socks, but are not as heavy, serious and cumbersome as shoes for walkers?

5. How do I learn what shoe size my baby needs?

6. What (rectal) temperature constitutes a fever?

Thanks for not laughing at me...(or for not telling me you're doing it! *grin*)

Jude

Mommy to Riordan
5-4-04

Marisa6826
11-22-2004, 12:16 AM
1. Does sitting unsupported/unassisted mean that she no longer needs to be propped against me? Or that she doesn't fall to one side or the other? Or that she can get from lying down to sitting up all by herself?

It means she can sit up by herself with no support whatsoever. Like alone on the floor with no pillows around.

2. What's a board book?

A book with hard pages (usually really thick cardboard). They are usually only five or six pages long and have short or abridged stories.

3. How do you change a baby who keeps flopping over face-first on the changing table, in the blink of an eye?

Practice and distraction with one of the aforementioned board books ;)

4. Are there shoe-type things to keep babies' feet warmer than socks, but are not as heavy, serious and cumbersome as shoes for walkers?

Robeez or Hanna moccassin socks

5. How do I learn what shoe size my baby needs?

You don't need to concern yourself with "real" shoes till she's walking unassisted and outside. You can do permanent harm to Riordan's feet if you have shoes on before that. The Robeez are just fine.

When you ARE ready for real shoes, you take her to someplace like Stride Rite or Nordstrom and they will measure both her feet for length and width. This will likely not happen till she is at least 14m old.

6. What (rectal) temperature constitutes a fever?

Depends on the age of the baby. If younger than 2m old, then anything over 99 deg. F. Normally, for all other kiddos, 101+ is a fever.

Although, doctors don't go by a number to rule whether the kid is sick. It depends much more on the baby's level of activity. 102 or 103 and playing is much safer than 101 and lethargic.

www.askdrsears.com is a wonderful, wonderful resource it. Bookmark it and you will refer to it constantly.

Hope that answers everything

-m

Judegirl
11-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Thank you Marisa!!! On my way to bookmark Dr. Sears' site now...

pritchettzoo
11-22-2004, 12:19 AM
>These are some of the things I should know by now, but
>don't...can anyone help?

Run, don't walk to the bookstore and get Dr. Sears' Baby Book and bookmark his website (www.askdrsears.com)

>1. Does sitting unsupported/unassisted mean that she no
>longer needs to be propped against me? Or that she doesn't
>fall to one side or the other? Or that she can get from lying
>down to sitting up all by herself?

It means she can sit without being propped up.

>2. What's a board book?

It's a book with really thick pages (like boards) so that the baby can't rip them. If you search for "board book" on amazon, you'll get tons of them. They're really cheap at TJ Maxx and Marshalls.

>3. How do you change a baby who keeps flopping over
>face-first on the changing table, in the blink of an eye?

Use the safety belt on the changing table. Read Burton White's book on How to Raise an Unspoiled Child or his birth to age three book. (Changings are non-negotiable; restrain her and speak firmly.) There are also old threads on this you can find with a search here.

>4. Are there shoe-type things to keep babies' feet warmer
>than socks, but are not as heavy, serious and cumbersome as
>shoes for walkers?

Robeez, Jack & Lily, Bobux, etc. or moccasins from Hanna

>5. How do I learn what shoe size my baby needs?

Measure her foot with a ruler and compare it to the size chart on whatever shoe's website. Or take her to a shoe store.

>6. What (rectal) temperature constitutes a fever?

Normal temperature – 97 to 99 degrees (36 to 37.2 Celcius).
Low-grade fever – 99 to 100.9 degrees (37.3 to 38.3 Celcius).
Common fever – 101 to 103.5 degrees (38.4 to 39.7 Celcius).
High fever – any fever over 103.6 degrees (39.8 Celcius).
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

kthomp
11-22-2004, 12:25 AM
I'll do my best to answer! Funny the things you think you should know and don't! We all have them.

1. My understanding that sitting unassisted means being able to sit without anything behind her. Pulling up into the sitting position by herself is different and happens later.

2. A board book is a book made especially for babies so that they can't rip the pages. They made out of a cardboard-ish type of material making them un-rip-able and chew friendly. You can purchase these pretty much anywhere they have books. They are great for babies to play with, and they are usually short and cute.

3. Hmmmm, do you have a belt on your changing table? I have always prefered changing on the floor or the bed so that we wouldn't have any safety risks when DD moves around. I usually give her a toy or something to look at to distract her, and if that doesn't work I keep one hand on her and do it fast! :-)

4. There are pleanty of non-walker soft shoes. Robeez is a great brand of soft-shoes. Check out layette for more suggestions.

5. I would take her to be measured someplace like Stride Rite. You don't need to buy shoes to get a measurement, and they are usually pretty accurate. Try to ask a salesperson who looks experienced.

6. Not 100% sure on this one, although I should be. I'm pretty sure it's over 100 degrees.

HTH!

ETA: Looks like I'm late to the party! :-) You got some great answers already!

brubeck
11-22-2004, 10:57 AM
You've had some good answers here. For #4, check out www.padders.com and look at their closeouts. My kids used these as non-walking infants and still wear them as (very) active toddlers as slippers.

mamicka
11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
I second the padders but they also have really inexpensive & cute padders-type shoes at both Target & Walmart.

candybomiller
11-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Everyone has already answered the questions, I just wanted to say "bravo!" for asking questions to which you didn't know the answer. More people need to get over the embarassment of "stupid questions" iykwim. I'm sure the fact that you asked these questions helped more parents than you'll ever know!

californiagirl
11-22-2004, 04:20 PM
>3. How do you change a baby who keeps flopping over
>face-first on the changing table, in the blink of an eye?

Upside down.

Honestly, if she just turns over, you can do it upside down. It's continuous wiggling that's a problem, and my DDs specialty. My husband can get DD's feet pinned in one hand and hold them up by her chin so she can't roll over. I have to rely on distraction or on the leg pin: Put baby on floor at right angles to me. Put my leg which is closest to her head over her chest so that my knee is above her chest. This pins her down in a soothing way while leaving both my hands free.

Judegirl
11-23-2004, 03:42 AM
Thanks, Candy..that's nice of you to say! :)

Judegirl
11-23-2004, 03:45 AM
Thanks, everyone...that's all very helpful!! I appreciate your patience in telling me such things...

As for the board book - LOL - you'd htink I would've put two & two together; I love the fact that our "Guess How Much I Love You" is not easily rippable! I'll be getting more of those. :)

Jude