PDA

View Full Version : Anticipating First Nap?

ntrainer
11-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Just when you think you've got these infants figured out... so, Rachel's always been a 3 naps/day kind of girl, with the first nap occuring almost exactly 2 hours from when she wakes up (though sometimes she only makes it 1 hr. 45 minutes in the morning).

For the past 5 days, she's started HYSTERICALLY crying about 1/2 hour in advance of this first nap. I mean HYSTERICALLY crying; she gets red in the face and won't accept the breast for nursing. Normally our "naptime" routine is to change her, lower the shade in her room, read a story, and nurse her for as long as she needs. She might or might not be asleep after this. If not, I put her down awake. In the past, she might "protest cry" for a couple of minutes, but nothing like this. This is a whole new level of crying. And it only seems to happen before the first nap.

It happens the MOMENT I go into her room, or when she sees I've got my breastfeeding pillow on.... which makes our routine impossible to follow. I mean, I can read a screaming infant a story but I don't think it does either of us any good. Today she started the hysteria when we were just dancing around my home office together (which sometimes we do do soothe her). Is she anticipating the first nap? If so, what response is going to get rid of this behavior? She definitely needs the sleep; once she drifts off she'll stay asleep for a good hour or hour and a half.

HELP! I can't take the crying! Today I just got so frustrated I put her down in her crib and said, "Have a good nap" without any nursing. I was totally unable to comfort her and very frustrated. There was nothing else to do. After 15 minutes of crying, she's dead asleep. But I'd really like to eliminate this anticipatory crying.

Nancy

Mom to Rachel, born 5/24/04