PDA

View Full Version : Riots, Revolution in UKRAINE

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-22-2004, 08:41 AM
nothing here to respond to but wanted to share...if anything goes wrong in the next two weeks with our adoption it will be due to this...
Remember I said that folks are predicting there is no worse time to adopt in Ukraine then the next few months.

History is in the making there...they had elections yesterday (sunday) for a run off between the Prime Minister who is very Russian allied, and a Democratic candidate that wanted to establish more Westernized relationships etc...
And though it is not fair to them for me to say but to explain the story it is easier
The Russian allied guy "bad guy"
The Westernized guy "good guy"

Well last night it appeared from exit polls that the good guy was winning by about 12-18% of the votes, this of course by most westerners opinion would be wonderful and for the best.

Well this morning the "bad" guy has been said to be the winner!!!!!
Evidently there are huge revolts going on, riots, everyone is descending on Kiev...

Huge corruption abounds and of course a real winner in this case is probably not the winner...

I feel like time wise that 2 1/2 weeks is enough to clear this up where I won't be effected...but wanted to share if my journal references this so you all know what I am talking about-

Again I am not worried about our process as to if we will go just maybe how we can be disturbed by it all...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

Marisa6826
11-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Neve-

Please just make sure you bring the phone number and address to the US Embassy (both for Prague and your final destination) with you just in case. Especially in light of being so pregnant.

Might not be a bad idea to also have one for the Amex Travel office.

hugs

-m

brigmaman
11-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Neve, I feel I've missed a bunch of your story the past few weeks. I'll have to go back in the posts to see how things are going.
Hopefully this won't affect your plans too much.

papal
11-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Neve, I sure hope everything clears up by the time you get there... goodness, did this all have to happen NOW?!!! grr.

Along with the Embassy phone number, keep the phone numbers of all airlines with you as well, just in case.
Do you have one of those cell phones that work anywhere in the world? I forget what they are called... i think you could even rent or borrow one before you go. I hope I don't sound paranoid.. just want you and your family to be safe girlie.

Oh, keep a COPY of all your important papers in some place other than where your originals are... passport/visas etc. I always keep a copy in my checked-in bags. Also, keep a copy of your home address and phone number printed on a sheet and taped to the inside of your checked-in bags. Just in case the outside tags get lost or your bags get lost, at least they will be able to identify your luggage by opening your bags.

I am so excited for you! Email me if you want any help getting all these kind of docs prepared!

McQ
11-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Nothing is ever easy is it! But it will all be worth it!

Stay safe and bring those kiddos home!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

zuzu
11-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Neve,

I hope this doesn't interfere with your plans too much. Like Rashmi said, make copies of everything. And, to be on the safe side, make sure someone in the States has copies of everything too, in case anything gets lost and you need documents faxed over.

Good luck - I'll be thinking about you!
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

ismommy
11-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi Neve,

DH said that if you are there for a month you should be able to rent an irradium cell phone that will work. Or a thuraya will be the cheapest way. Go to thuraya.com and see if they have service in the ukraine - if so you can borrow DH's. You might need to buy a card for it but we can fedex the phone.
Two most likely threats - would be caught up in a violent situation or being abducted.

The following advice is to keep you and Steve and T-man safe.
Some of this might seem over the top - but remember where he has been and we just want to make sure you all stay as safe as possible.

stay away from crowds
no goretex or jeans - they will make you stand out
don't photograph anything suspicous.
make sure you arent being followed- vary routes - and how you get around
3 photocopies of passport - one for someone here, one for hotel, one to carry
put money in footbed of all your shoes
also spread your money in different places in small denimonations
smile alot - shouldn't be hard for you:)
make sure people back home where you are going
call home or someone in US that you trust at same time everyday or every other day with your plans so if they dont hear from you they will know where you should have been.
be careful what you blog - dont be too specific
get an extra door lock for hotel or a way to know if your stuff has been tampered with.
don't get in a car that looks like it wont make it to its destination
make sure cabdriver has gas money

Hope this helps. Also call us if you need anything.

Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

mamicka
11-22-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm glad you posted this Helene. I second all the above suggestions. Again, it may seem over-the-top & paranoid but none of it is really too hard to do & I'd rather you'd be safe than sorry.

Also, please don't underestimate the ability of pick-pockets. My parents (who are very travel- & safety-savvy) got pick-pocketed 2x their last trip to Prague. The big technique seems to be to try to separate couples while getting on public transportation. So make sure both you & Steve have a plan if you get separated. Not that being pick-pocketed is the worst that can happen, but it can sure ruin an otherwise good trip if they get the really good stuff.

Good luck - I'll be praying for a safe, successful trip.
Allison

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-22-2004, 12:40 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041122/ap_on_re_eu/ukraine_elections

amp
11-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Yep, when my parents traveled to Israel, they had copies with them, also in their luggage, and I had copies in my possesion of all their documents, phone numbers, hotels, itinerary and the location of their car at the airport...just in case.

Kieransmom
11-23-2004, 07:31 AM
I haven't kept up on this in the news but since your post has anything changed? I hope so, for the better. I wouldn't want you to have to change anything.
Thinking about you!

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-23-2004, 08:06 AM
I wake up to this on the yahoo home page
"block roads, airports, seize city halls"...
this is a threat from the backers of the "good guy"

Cliff notes to the scenerio...
the bad guy with strong soviet ties wants to take Ukraine back to the soviet era or atleast close...
the good guy is married to an American born lady and is really trying to make Ukraine more Westernized. Ukraine is a cash economy and bribes are what determine business...and govt officials can go months without getting paid. It is extrememly poor with few resources.

The "bad guy" stole the vote...evidnetly the good guy clearly won...
The election can only be contested with the Presidents consent and he backs the "bad guy".
So the "good guys" are threatening to cause havoc...
Yikes can they cause "havoc" in time to get us over there and everything rested...

Here is the latest blurb from Yahoo's home page
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041123/ap_on_re_eu/ukraine_elections

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Even more of a reason to get my bug a boos home!!!
The westernized backers sadly might be the side that actually effects us immediatly in a negative way in the disorder that they can cause...but you gotta be proud of them for taking their stance. If I was not traveling during this time I'd be cheering them on big time...and should say I am still cheering them on, but you know what I mean I don't want them closing airports or govt buildings effecting court dates, embassy visas, passports...and TRAVEL!!!!!!

But what a story to tell my children...