PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Cranberry Sauce

mekiemom
11-22-2004, 11:19 AM
I want to attempt to make a cranberry sauce from scratch so that my DD will have new memories of cranberry sauce from thanksgiving rather than the solid glob in a can that some of us remember. Does anyone have a made from scratch recipe that works? I don't like cranberry sauce as I know it (molded canned) but thought maybe a new recipe would change my mind.
thanks,
Jenn

wencit
11-22-2004, 11:40 AM
We always follow the "whole berry cranberry sauce" recipe on the back of the Ocean Spray package of fresh cranberries. I think you just mix the cranberries, some sugar, and a little water, boil until the berries pop, then cool. Really simple and really yummy!

Marisa6826
11-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Check out www.foodtv.com and www.epicurious.com for recipes.

-m

HGraceMom
11-22-2004, 01:16 PM
This one is pretty good... adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe, I think

(Makes 4 cups)
1 pound fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
4 oranges, segmented, pith and membranes removed

1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a simmer. Add the cranberries, sugar, orange juice and zest. Stir until sugar is dissolved and the cranberries begin to pop, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Add orange segments to the cranberries. Stir to combine.

CiderLogan
11-22-2004, 08:47 PM
This is what I've done too. It is so easy but sounds impressive and is delicious!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

parkersmama
11-22-2004, 08:53 PM
This is what I do but I also add a splash of orange juice. :)

egoldber
11-22-2004, 08:58 PM
I have made this for many years now and I love it:

HONEY-AND-SPICE CRANBERRY SAUCE
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/100322

Its got a bit if a kick to it (lots of cloves) but you can tone it down if you like.

mommd
11-22-2004, 09:13 PM
I make it like this too, but I use Mandarin Oranges and also add a little ginger. It's really good!

barbarhow
11-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Thank you for posting this I was headed this way to ask for the same!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

JLiebCamm
11-22-2004, 11:48 PM
I always make the Cranberry Relish that is usually listed on the bags of fresh cranberries. It's nothing more than the fresh cranberries, an orange, and sugar thrown in the food processor, then allowed to sit and blend.

barbarhow
11-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Can these recipes be used to fill a mold? I have never made cranberry sauce so I don't know. The recipes don't say anything about using one. I would like mine to be molded. Anyone know how to do this? TIA
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

pritchettzoo
11-23-2004, 04:06 PM
I think you'd need some gelatin in order to make it molded.

Here's a recipe from epicurious.com that got 3 1/2 forks. The celery sounds weird, so I might leave that out, but maybe it's just me!

DOUBLE-CRANBERRY MOLDED SALAD
3 1/2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
4 1/4-ounce envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 12-ounce bags cranberries
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery

Pour 1 cup cranberry juice into small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over. Let stand until gelatin softens, about 20 minutes.
Combine cranberries and sugar in processor. Blend, using on/off turns, until cranberries are finely chopped. Transfer berry mixture to heavy large saucepan; add remaining 2 1/2 cups cranberry juice and lemon juice. Bring berry mixture to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan partially and simmer until cranberry pieces are tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin dissolves. Cool to lukewarm, about 30 minutes. Mix in celery.

Rinse 8- to 9-cup decorative mold with cold water and drain well. Spoon cranberry mixture into mold. Cover and refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 8 hours and up to 2 days.

Turn mold over onto platter. Soak kitchen towel in very hot water; wring out. Wrap hot towel around mold. Let stand 1 minute. Remove towel. Hold mold and platter together and shake gently until cranberry salad falls onto platter. Repeat with hot towel if necessary to unmold salad. Chill until ready to serve.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102510

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

christic
11-23-2004, 04:06 PM
I just finished making this one. It's not at all the traditional stuff, but I've never liked any cranberry sauce before trying this one last year, and the regular cranberry eaters liked it too.

Cranberry-Onion Confit
Makes about 3 cups
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large onions (2 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons grenadine (optional)
1 teaspoon table salt

1. Melt butter in soup kettle or Dutch oven. Add onions; cook over medium-low heat until onions are very soft, about 30 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add sugar; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 15 minutes longer.

2. Add remaining ingredients; bring to boil. Simmer, partially covered, until most of liquid is absorbed and mixture has a jam-like consistency, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be jarred and refrigerated for at least 2 weeks.)

jec2
11-23-2004, 07:53 PM
You will never ever think the same about cranberry sauce!

Cranberry Cassis Sauce

3 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Water
4 1/2 C. Cranberries
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 Tbs. Grated lemon peel
1/4-1/3 C. Creme de Cassis

Heat sugar and water in pan over low heat
Swirl pan occasionally, until sugar dissolves.
Add cranberries, apples, and lemon peel. Bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium and cook to consistency of thick jam, striring frequently, about 20 mins.
Stir in Cassis to taste.
Cool completely, before serving.
Stroe 1 month in refridgerator
(recipe can be cut in 1/2).

mekiemom
11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Jenn