PDA

View Full Version : Advice for trip to New York City

jacksmom0902
11-22-2004, 12:15 PM
We will be in New York City the week of Christmas (heading home on Christmas Eve!). I'm 6 months pregnant, have a 2-year old son and have never been to New York City. Any advice from those of you who live there or have visited? Any recommendations for must-see sites or shopping with a 2-year old? We're staying near Times Square. I have a P3 stroller I am considering taking but am not sure I want to subject it to possible airline abuse. I'm not sure what type diaper bag I should take, maybe a backpack. What about the whole carseat in the taxi thing? Do they just start the meter while you're installing your carseat? I don't know how much we'll actually need to use a taxi besides to and from the airport but I'm pretty clueless on these things. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Karla

cuca_
11-22-2004, 12:47 PM
The city is beautiful at that time of the year. I do not live in the city, but visit often. Here are a few suggestions:

You can take your DS to Rockefeller Center to see the tree and to SAks to look at the windows. Weather permitting, you can go to the Central Park Zoo, which is very nice and manageable. I have also heard great things about the Children's Museum in the Upper West Side, but have never been.

You can also take your DS to FAO Schwartz. It was closed for a while, but some one here mentioned it was open again. There is a Great candy store in Times Square called Dylan's Candy Bar. I don't know if your child is too young for it, or if you even want to bring him into a candy store, but it is a great place. Also, the Museum of Natural History has a buterfly exhibit that is supposed to be great. I've been meaning to take DD to see it.

That's all I can think of for now.

As far as the stroller goes, if you are planning on taking taxis and buses, I would take a lighter stroller. Otherwise, the P3 should be fine. I don't know about your taxi/carseat question, as I never take cabs when I am in the city with DD.

Hope you have a wonderful time!!

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
#2 expected in May 2005!

psophia17
11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
In addition to what the PP said, I highly recommend the Toys R Us in Times Square (I worked right next door for a year or so and LOVED going there at lunch time). IMO, it was way better than FAO Schwartz. I also recommend the Museum of Natural History. If you like boats, go on the Staten Island Ferry (it's free) for a great view of the Statue of Liberty. It's pretty child safe, and if you go during the middle of the day (not rush hour, when it's a nightmare) you'll have lots of space. Round trip takes about an hour. It's probably the best touristy thing you could do with a two-year-old, he would love the boat. Rockefellar Center is the other one that a little guy would probably appreciate, and it's very close to Times Square.

As far as food goes, go to John's Pizzaria, there are two locations, but I've only been to the one near Time's Square (your hotel will tell you how to get there). It's amazing, easily the best pizza and Italian food I've ever had. I was there while PG, and had some kind of pesto cream sauce on fettucini, and it was so amazingly good that I craved it for weeks!

If you want to go further afield, the Bronx Zoo is also a lot of fun, and although I haven't been there, I've heard that the Aquarium is really good, too.

Have a blast!

Momof3Labs
11-22-2004, 09:40 PM
There's a huge World of Disney store that just opened at, I think, 55th and 5th Avenue. Definitely a fantasy land for a 2 year old!

mama2galpals
11-22-2004, 11:39 PM
hi karla,

Since I lived in NY all of my life (until about a year ago when I made the big move to NJ lol) AND i've lived in NYC for a few years i have to second the john's pizza route and if you like Chinese there is a huge place named Ollie's in a few locations where we have taken the kids. The TRU in Times Square is great as it's been totally renovated and features an indoor ferris wheel.

If you would like to visit Santa I highly recommend going to Bergdorf Goodman's where there isn't a terrible line, it's quite pleasant and you'll even get a free photo and cookies (my dh takes the girls there every year). For a great kids' department hit Barney's because they have adorable things. On the upper west side I loved going to Z Baby & Co.

Someone may have mentioned the tree and Rockefeller Center because I know that's a big one. We've been the the Children's Museum of Manhattan and it's cute as well as the Museum of Natural History which the kids love. Oh, and I also suggest stopping by Serendipity (try the frozen hot chocolate!).

A great book to check out is City Baby on Amazon. It's a *wealth* of information on NYC for parents from spots kids love to kid friendly restaurants and even the best and cleanest places to stop for a bathroom break (especially if you are PG! :)

Another online source is urbanbaby for some good listings.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post! HTH

rita

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/17531.txt

mama2galpals
11-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Oh and I forgot to add that for some reason nobody seems concerned with car seats in NYC cabs. I remember that making me *crazy* when I had an infant so i used the carseat/stroller option. But for a two year old i know it sounds insane but i don't think i've ever seen a carseat in a cab...

rita

mama2galpals
11-22-2004, 11:57 PM
ok just one more...i've thought of a few other things...a really cool "department store" is takashimaya on fifth ave and if you like retro nursery stuff plain jane on the upper west side is too cute. Also another guide is listed on newyorkmagazine.com if you click on guides and then on kids and family they have some good info too.

rita

tippy
11-23-2004, 10:58 PM
If the weather isn't nice you can check out Chelsea Piers. Although a lot of the stuff there is for "older" folks they do have a toddler area that you can buy individual sessions for. It is also on the water so the scenery is nice and they have a couple of decent restraints.

If your ds likes dogs there is a great "Dog Park" directly across the street from the entrance at 23rd street. It's a fun place to "watch" the dogs play together.

If you are going to go up to FAO Schwartz and/or the Children's Zoo in central park you can take a horse and buggy ride. They also have a skating ring and Carousel in the park. I'm not sure if the carousel operates in the winter but it's worth looking into. It's an AWSOME carousel!

Have fun! It's crowded this time of year but the energy is great!

ETA: Link for Chelsea Piers
http://www.chelseapiers.com/fhGymTAC.htm

Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

cara1
11-24-2004, 09:47 AM
As a kid, we used to go to the big Macy's in Herald Square. They had an awesome Christmas display with Santa, etc. I assume they still do it...

Also, there's the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. I haven't taken my two year old yet, but I hear even young kids enjoy it.

There's a cool restaurant called Mars 2112 but your child may be too young...it's kind of dark but there's cool aliens and stuff walking around. After you enter the restaurant, you take a spaceship to get to your table. I liked it (pre-kids), but the food wasn't great.

chrissyhowie
11-24-2004, 12:53 PM
People have given you some great suggestions already. Just wanted to add a few items.

Calling a car service to pick you up at the airport and bring you to your hotel is a good idea. The cars are cleaner, roomier and the drivers are usually polite. It usually costs about $10 more than using a regular cab, but most people find it worth the extra dollars. I used to recommend Carmel car service, but they have gotten way too busy and overpriced. These days I tend to call New Day Car Service 212-228-6666 http://www.newdaycars.com/ if I am going to the airport.

You do not need to use a carseat in taxis while in Manhattan. It's some kind of loophole in the law, so it is totally legal, but you have to just go with your comfort level on this. No mommy points here, but I do take them once in a blue moon with my kids. It is impractical to drag a carseat around with you all day, especially with a two year old in tow. You pretty much could walk just about anywhere you needed to go, so personally I think having a decent stroller is a must.

Taking the subway is possible using a stroller, especially if you have another person with you, but many stations don't have elevators so you will end up folding up and carrying the stroller with you up and down the stairs. I would forget even thinking about using the bus -- too much hassle unless you are very familiar with them (or adventurous :)).

Here's a link for urbanbaby nyc with restaurant suggestions. You'll want to focus on the Midtown suggestions if you want to stay near your hotel. http://newyork.urbanbaby.com/community/kidseatout_main.html

Central Park is very worth checking out. Especially on a clear day, it really is an amazingly beautiful place to visit. Here's a link for kid friendly sites to visit within the park:
http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark/photogallery/kidsdayouttour

Another fantastic and very child-friendly place to eat is the Grand Central Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. It is a pricey meal though (and I forgot that you are pregnant so you likely won't indulge on the raw oysters which are so fresh there!). http://www.oysterbarny.com/oysterbar/html/index2.htm
Grand Central Station is kind of a fun place to wheel around too. The smooth floors make it very stroller friendly! There are lots of shops there. During the Holiday Season there is a entire section of specialty stalls/carts too. If you don't eat in one of the restaurants there, check out their huge food court (that gets crazy busy at times) where some of the landmark NYC restaurants have food stalls.

Have a wonderful time visiting NYC!